Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The sling use in everyday life (Read 2697 times)
homer9
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

The sling use in everyday life
Oct 15th, 2019 at 4:08pm

I read on a few threads here that the sling was used everyday as a multi use tool in history. I can think of shepards using it to scare away predators and soldiers using it as a weapon but what other uses for it were used?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: The sling use in everyday life
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 4:17pm

could see it used for knocking down beehives maybe? Scaring away birds from flocks, knocking coconuts out of a tree. I'm spit ballin here. This could all be nonsense. Hard core tag. You name it.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 6:16pm

Use mine when we harvest pinyon seeds. The cones begin to dry out late august and are dry enough for the seeds to fall out if you hit a cluster with a tball all through september. This is the first year we didn't go.
Flu flus work good too, but sometimes get hung up in a tree Sad

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 9:53pm

When you’re driving a Vietnam-era armored personnel carrier and have no place to put your coffee...

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 12:34am

Good one,  NOC. A sling would also be useful for knocking squirrels out of their nests.  I've never done this but in an survival situation I wouldn't hesitate.  Also it would be useful for hunting a flock of sitting waterfowl.  Knocking apples or other fruit out of trees could be another use.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 5:24am

I know a few people who use slings for belts

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 6:31am

Bayeaux tapestry showing a slinger scaring birds Maybe away from crops?

bayeaux_.jpg (8 KB | 31 )
bayeaux_.jpg

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 6:36am

A  herder would use it to direct the flock - herding dogs are a very recent innovation.
They would also use it to hunt their dinner and defend the flock.
So a multi-use tool.

In mexico it's used as a bird scarer and also to hunt them for food.

In the uk, mainly used for throwing tennis balls for dogs. Smiley

I've often used mine as a dog lead, when I've either forgotten to throw one in the car or found a stray dog.

My friend Puchi, grew up in tibet on the family 'farm'. She used her sling to herd the yaks. She also uses the longest sling for target shooting I've yet seen. And a singular technique.

That is her target sling.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 7:24am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 16th, 2019 at 6:36am:
My friend Puchi, grew up in tibet on the family 'farm'. She used her sling to herd the yaks. She also uses the longest sling for target shooting I've yet seen. And a singular technique.

I talk about it every time it's mentioned but seeing that video was a revelation. If you have a long sling this is THE best way to get it moving and into a throw.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 3:46pm

I have also used slings as emergency dog leashes for lost dogs I've come across while walking my pack.  And yes, vetryan, a sling can also serve as a makeshift belt.

IP Logged

Kindor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

western oregon
Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 6:28pm

That's a really cool video

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2019 at 5:48am

For fun !
Walking in the fields, on the beach, and throwing.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #12 - Oct 31st, 2020 at 7:21am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 16th, 2019 at 6:36am:

Looks like the Polynesian slinging technique for long slings.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 5:24pm

My sons take their slings when they walk to the shop or anywhere. We have a big dog problem here. The boys don't take stones, but the crack sends the dogs packing.

Unsure if that is because I've hit a lot of dogs and they now associate the sound with a lot of pain or whether the crack scares them anyway.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 9:45pm

The crack from the right sling is no joke!  I have been able to cut plant stems in half with a well-tapered sling just like you can with a bullwhip.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick)