Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Degradable Sling Ammo? (Read 3373 times)
Steven_M._Peffley
Tiro

Pennsylvania Coal Region
Degradable Sling Ammo?
Sep 30th, 2019 at 6:46pm

Hello Everyone,

Next summer a friend of mine and myself would like to teach a class on using Slings and Staff-Slings. The field is more than large enough for safety concerns. One potential problem I would like to solve before it is a problem, is the non-retrieving of ammo. This is inevitable, even with experienced slingers; how much more likely with those who have never even touched a sling? Brightly painted golf balls are a possibility, but even those will get lost. The field sees regular mowing, so I don't want to use anything that might damage the mowing equipment. So the question is this; Is there a "recipe" for sling ammo that will have decent weight, but which will break down to small fragments or dust relatively quickly? Thanks in advance.

If you kill them at a distance, you won't have to dance with them.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Degradable Sling Ammo?
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 11:43pm

Unfired clay.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 1:21am

Yup. What Morphy said. Buy a clay roller from Curious Aardvark and get some air dry clay. It usually only costs around $1/lb, and a pound of clay makes a lot of ammo.

Another fun bio-ammo is fruit. Ask your local grocery store for their expired produce. It’s always satisfying to see an orange or tomato explode on impact.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 6:05am

they have biodegradeble golf balls on cruise ships that turn into fish food.
Had a quick look on aamzon and can't find any.

Clay works for me.
I like a 60-70 gram ball.
Tennis balls also work well and are easier to find.

Though you'll never leave with the same number you arrived with Smiley

Second hand used balls are also very cheap, and will last a LOT longer than the cheap ones you get for dogs. 

But if it's a mowed field then air dry clay is your best bet. Once rolled and left for a day or so you can spray paint them bright colours - we had orange flourescent ones at hodd hill.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Steven_M._Peffley
Tiro

Pennsylvania Coal Region
Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 6:52am

Thank you all for really good suggestions. I think I'll be going with unfired clay then; best way to determine size/weight/shape. I do like the idea of exploding fruit though!

If you kill them at a distance, you won't have to dance with them.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 12:22pm

air dry modelling clay is very specific.
Normal unfired clay won't harden as well.

The modelling clay has fibres included so loses less weight and holds together a lot better than normal clay.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 1:20pm

Agar Agar or also Alginate would make nice reasonaly hard gel bullets and are basically just water, quite affordable as well

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 3:49pm

Curious aardvarks rollers are very reasonably priced and will make amazing ammo for you to use very quickly. I bought several of them and they work very well.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2019 at 3:19pm

Kartoffel funktionieren prima.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 12:19am

A potato works.  One of my favorite kinds of biodegradable ammo is abundant right now... Horse Chestnuts.  There are very easy to find in great quantities here in South Jersey.  They aren't all that safe though. I'd hate to get hit with one.

IP Logged

GurtTractor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

UK, Scotland
Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 5:15am

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 6:14am

yeah seed bombing is cool.

Just check with the owner of the field - they might not want a field full of weeds - uh, 'wild flowers' whistle

As far as slinging food goes - I'm pretty much against that - for obvious reasons.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 10:25am

Alex ich geb dir recht. Lebensmittel verschleudern ist nicht gut.
Ich wohne auf dem Land. Nach der Kartoffel Ernte verbleiben viele Kartoffeln auf dem Feld. Sie wurden aussortiert und sind nicht für Menschen geeignet. Wir sammeln sie oft und verwenden sie für Schafe und Schweine.
Aber sie fliegen auch hervorragend. 😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 1:59pm

They do also sell large ice sphere molds. It would be a lot of time and effort on your part but there would no cleanup.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 6:57am

for the ice spheres I guess you'd need some good coolers to keep them in.
Yes they are definitely enviromentally friendly - but not exactly 'safe' ammo where hitting a person or object is concerned.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15)