Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Missing in Action (Read 4783 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Missing in Action
Sep 30th, 2019 at 12:48am

Been a member here for awhile now. As a chronic lurker/poster maybe it's hypocritical of me to say this but there's a lot of members out there I do miss not posting.

Bill Skinner, Masiakasarus (butchered it for sure), Mersa (even though we still talk!), Dan, Jlasud, Mauro, Pikaru, ILovePancakes, Whipartist, and so many others.

If you guys are lurking and life is busy, I get it. But don't be strangers. Drop in when you can.

Drop a few names if you want. So many good people have come and gone over the years.

On the other hand, if you are currently only a lurker, PLEASE JOIN! This is a good group of people. We would love to have you.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Missing in Action
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 4:36am

It is kind of sad looking at some older threads. A lot of people just completely disappeared. I've found a few where every single person that commented on the thread is no longer active. Obviously it's going to happen but still...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 7:15am

David Morningstar and Donnerschlag?

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 9:35am

I know I come in and out. And the forum itself goes through cycles. But I feel you morphy, it'd be good to see some of the old group more active again.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 6:47am

I'm always here , I just have been too busy saving the world from apocalyptic trees of doom (how people who don't know trees, see trees) actually just trying to stay sane conversing with clients about how not dangerous the trees are.
Wish I could be more active , I plan on slinging a pumpkin again this year so I'll be around

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 8:02am

I am still holding out for a zombie apocalypse but barring that evil trees will be an acceptable back up plan.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 2:05pm

I think about this often.  There are many members who we've had very deep and enlightening debates, conversations, and fights with, over the years.  You get to know them very well, even feel like they're sort of family. Then they grow tired of us and move on.  Yet there are other's like me that you can't get rid of.  What makes some of us stick around and some disappear? 

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 2:17pm

Hard to say now as the future is unknown, but I think I'm going to be sticking around (unfortunately some might say). I've read every single post since I joined (yes, every single one in every category) and a lot of the posts made before I joined.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 5:40pm

Yeah, I guess I'm one of these  Cheesy Looking at my profile: my 13th forum-anniversary is quite soon.

I skim through the threads on a more or less regular basis, but rarely post, as life is indeed quite busy and my interests are quite broad. Although if there is something which interests me, I'll surely drop back in and help if I can. Say egyptian slings, wicked braiding stuff or braiding questions, or some nice physics problem Cool

Rat Man wrote on Oct 1st, 2019 at 2:05pm:
What makes some of us stick around and some disappear? 

The main reason for me to stick around is mostly curiosity. Curiosity about the sling in general, its complexity in use, but also in construction and the many, many ways people make them. From time to time, there are some really neat new ideas in the picture thread. I will leave a little present for you guys there.
And also a bit the amazement over this small and mostly peaceful social oasis in the wilds of the internet;).

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2019 at 4:07am

Teg wrote on Oct 1st, 2019 at 5:40pm:
And also a bit the amazement over this small and mostly peaceful social oasis in the wilds of the internet;).

It pretty amazing how civil the forum is Cheesy There have been disagreements and a few members that aren't around so much  now that provoked... incredulous responses to their claims, but having this many people on an international public forum and going this long and everyone is so friendly and there has been practically no bust ups or fights? It's practically miraculous! Cheesy

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2019 at 9:20pm

Kick wrote on Oct 2nd, 2019 at 4:07am:
Teg wrote on Oct 1st, 2019 at 5:40pm:

It pretty amazing how civil the forum is Cheesy There have been disagreements and a few members that aren't around so much  now that provoked... incredulous responses to their claims, but having this many people on an international public forum and going this long and everyone is so friendly and there has been practically no bust ups or fights? It's practically miraculous! Cheesy

... I know it was necessary to ban a certain, um, storyteller from the forum, but I do miss that little rascal. The lies did get old, but he was amazingly creative about it.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Oct 2nd, 2019 at 9:29pm

Honestly I thought it was hilarious. I miss that guy.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 3:38am

He gave us the turkey throw I'm happy that something came from his RSBS

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 7:05am

Mersa wrote on Oct 3rd, 2019 at 3:38am:
He gave us the turkey throw I'm happy that something came from his RSBS

Lol. That throw by the way came from an ancient Turkish text that's no longer in print. We are lucky to have it.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #14 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 7:15am

Oh yes from a fellow noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man)