Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
world's first laser cut sling pouch ? (Read 2796 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
world's first laser cut sling pouch ?
Sep 15th, 2019 at 1:18pm

As far as I know, yes this is !

I have a new tool. The computer business has been dying for some time and this year I think i can declare it properly dead.
Which is a bugger when it's how I've made my living for the last 25 years.

So my workshop - already home to 4 3d printers, now has a new denizen.

It's a 40 watt, water cooled co2 laser cutter/engraver.
It'll cut: acrylic, wood, leather and probably other stuff.
It'll engrave pretty much everything except direct metal.
And i do mean 'everything'.
I'm still in the testing and learning phase - but so far have engraved: slate, ceramics, glass, wood, leather and a stone I got from the garden !

It still needs some additional modifications - but on the whole, I'm seriously impressed.

I did try a diode laser setup - but in all honestly they're just very slow toys.

So far, leather wise I've been playing with some stuff from my mates old sofa.
done a bunch of different sized fingerloops. Cutting 5 in about 20 seconds, including the end holes - is pretty impressive.

You will notice that the logo on the pouch is not quite centred. That's down to me and inkscape still not being friends. We never will be, but I will beat it into submission !
I also used too much power on the engraving, so in parts it went all the way through lol
Won't effect pouch, but not what I was aiming at.

Just getting the cap paul jpg to the point where I could do anything with it was fairly time consuming.

Hoping that with custom slings, 3d printed bits and pieces and laser engraved goods - I can start a whole new revunue stream.

Between turning 50, a lack of work and the diabetes diagnosis earlier in the year, 2019 has truly sucked.
Here's hoping this is where it starts to improve Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: world's first laser cut sling pouch ?
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 1:32pm

Awesome! I'll be following this with interest Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 1:36pm

looking for ideas for leather goods I can make, any suggestions welcome Smiley

I've been collecting leather for a few years - so many types and colours available.

Just need some inspiration Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 2:50pm

Wow, that qould be awesome.   I have yet to ever try a cap paul sling. Always liked that design. Just never got around to trying one.  For using leather, you could probably cut belts, knife sheaths. Now, didn't Thomas come up with a 1 piece leather sling??

Did you ever get your updated clay press mold fixed? Never saw an update

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 2:55am

vetryan15 wrote on Sep 15th, 2019 at 2:50pm:
Now, didn't Thomas come up with a 1 piece leather sling??

I have one! C_A wouldn't like it though. Basically a flat pouch  Grin

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 9:08am

I have one of thomas's one piece slings, good sling.
Only issue is the finger loop is very small. Guess he has slim fingers Smiley

There is an inherent problem with the built in hinge on the clay moulds.
Basically the only one out in the wild, broke after about 8 glandes.
Up till that point he was having fun
Currently trying to work out a way use a metal hinge.
Incorporating it into the printed parts is proving 'tricky' to put it mildly.

Because of the orientation you need to print the moulds at, there is a definite issue. Printing in an orientation trhat makes the hinges much stronger, results in an inaccurate glande shape - really awful.
Given that they are not cheap and will be sent around the world, decided to put them on hold until I can fix the hinge issue.

The rolling moulds are still very much available Smiley

Now wondering if there's a way to somehow combine laser cut 4mm acrylic with a metal hinge and 3d printed mould. Or some sort of weird chimera style mould anyway Smiley

Maybe a standard press with different sized drop in glande moulds.
The 4mm acrylic is incredibly strong.
That would make the initial press more expensive, but subsequent 'drop in' mould pairs would be cheaper.
Once I've got a bunch of other stuff out of the way and dialled in, Ill serously go back to the press moulds. 

But yeah, until I can guarentee you'll get -at least - many hundreds of glandes from the press without it breaking, it's on hold.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 12:24pm

That pouch with a logo looks awesome!  Let us know when those are ready for sale.  I'd buy one.  Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 1:18pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 15th, 2019 at 1:18pm:
Between turning 50, a lack of work and the diabetes diagnosis earlier in the year, 2019 has truly sucked.
Here's hoping this is where it starts to improve Smiley

Sorry to hear that. You might consider giving Keto a shot.  We have a very popular doctor here in Houston named Dr. Steven Hotze that has reversed type 2 diabetes in many patients in a similar manner.

When I went on Keto my chronic high blood pressure went from 150/100 to 115/70 in a matter of a few months. It's amazing.

Anyway, yes, not a great year for you, but on the other hand you did get a laser robot that makes primitive weapons which is just plain cool.   Smiley

As far as designing sling stuff, if you ever make a lever type press for making concrete ammo I would be all over that. Something where you could compress it harder than could be done by hand, end up with a more consistent product and make it faster has always been a dream of mine but I lack the skills to make it. I imagine if the clay one is giving you trouble a concrete one is out of the question for now, but a man can dream.

A few more ideas: targets cut from thick rubber. These already exist but are not optimized for slingers. "Sling quivers" or pouches to hold ammo with personalized engravings, arm guards, finger tabs, thumb rings (all archery related), 3d printed slingshots etc.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 9:03pm

Looking good CA! 
Sorry to hear it’s a rough year. 2017 was my really awful year. All you can do is embrace the reality of it and trust that the hard times will make you stronger in the end.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 1:35am

2015 for me. Keep on trucking. I'm thinking one of those medieval songs with the multiple slits to allow the pouch to open out would be a good test. A laser would be far more accurate than cutting so might end up with a better final result. I've been wanting to test one of those out.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 6:27am

concrete is actually much softer then clay. the larger particles make it flow much more easily than clay. It's also generally, much wetter.

Think about it - even realy stiff concrete will slump. stiff clay will just keep it's shape.

lol 150/100 - you think that's high blood pressure ?
mine was 200/110.
I spent a week after the international with people doing blood tests and blood pressue tests and then asking me: 'do you feel alright ?'
I felt fine. It's only since I've been taking the blood pressure medication that I've had any lightheadedness or dizzyness.
But my sister says it had the same effect on her. 

It's all down to the diabetes, which I've probably had for at least 5 years - possibly started nearer 10 years ago, I just did not know.
The thing that gets me is. I'm not grossly overweight, don't drink, smoke, do drugs, eat junk food or processed foods. I exercise regularly - I just have a buggered pancreas.
My last doctors visit was 13 years ago - and I'd actually lost a stone in weight in the intervening years.

Anyway, it is what it is - on the whole I'm a very positive person Smiley

Right then - anyone know how to attach perspex to leather. I figure if I make a leather backing fob for a custom engraved perspex keyring - that's worth a llot more money than just a piece of perspex on a keyring.
those little metal keyring things - got 100 for 3p each. Not even from china.
I did try my goto glue, uhu all purpose. but it actually seems to eat the perspex and didn't stick to the leather anyway. Going to try pva next as that dries clear.
The thing is, you need the engraved part facing the leather - looks better and protect the engraving. So any gloue needs to dry clear.

The cap paul pouch needs a bit more work resizing. But as I've now got it as a fully noded vector file - that 'should' be fairly straightforward.
'should' lol

As far as your mediaval pouch kick, measure it, mark it  and use a model knife to cut the slits. 

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 5:09pm

Improving Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 8:27pm

Have you tried a leather cement?  I’ve had good luck with Fiebings brand. It seems to bond leather with almost anything.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 9:37pm

You will go down in slinging history!  And the good thing about bad years or even a string of bad years is that they end.

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 10:10pm

Man, I've got to send in an order early next year for some of these. That Cap Paul is pretty nice, so I'd take a whole bunch and my friends will be happy.

They work great with Tennis Balls.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)