Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling myth busting checklist (Read 4848 times)
TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Re: Sling myth busting checklist
Reply #15 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 2:04pm

Gurtractor,
I have a PDF in french  Cry about the battle of Uxellodunum in Gaul.
The archeologists try to measure the strength, the range, etc.., of a bow, a sling and others if you shoot at the top of the hill to enemies below.
I don't find the website today, I don't know if it exists today but I can send the PDF to your mail.

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #16 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 3:19pm

Oh that sounds great, I would be very interested in the pdf!  Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #17 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 4:19pm

@funditor: That’s a question for the maths section. You should be able to predict aerodynamic properties with modern day simulation software.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

GurtTractor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

UK, Scotland
Reply #18 - Sep 21st, 2019 at 6:23am

TOMBELAINE wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 2:04pm:
Gurtractor,
I have a PDF in french  Cry about the battle of Uxellodunum in Gaul.
The archeologists try to measure the strength, the range, etc.., of a bow, a sling and others if you shoot at the top of the hill to enemies below.
I don't find the website today, I don't know if it exists today but I can send the PDF to your mail.

That sounds very interesting, I would love to see that, thanks. I've been collecting a variety of PDF articles all about slings, using google scholar and the very excellent Sci-Hub, it'll be great to keep adding to it. I haven't read through all of them yet, but there's some very interesting stuff that brings up a plenty of questions.

IP Logged

GurtTractor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

UK, Scotland
Reply #19 - Sep 21st, 2019 at 6:27am

TheJackinati wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 1:02pm:
Personally I'd say that long range firepower isn't necessarily about killing people.

It was likely more about forcing the enemy to close the distance in a quick and thus disorganised manner whilst giving your own troops the time to form up into formation (And said sling glandes would probably disrupt enemy archery). Any kills afforded would be a nice bonus.

And having the small, nearly invisible things whizzing over your head like a swarm of wasps... that would definetly demoralize some people, and might make enemy commanders want to 'rush' in to avoid taking further pot-shots.

I saw a thing about Total War: Atilla with regards the slingers in that game, how they were 'OP' because they will slow down any units they are firing upon. I haven't checked out that myself yet, still got a Rome II campaign to get through Smiley  But it's easy to imagine how effective a hail of slingstones could be at disrupting the movement of an enemy group, the sheer force of impact against a shield alone might require you to brace against it.

Sling vs shield tests are something I'd love to see.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Sep 21st, 2019 at 11:25am

GurtTractor wrote on Sep 21st, 2019 at 6:27am:
Sling vs shield tests are something I'd love to see.

under 100m things get really dangerous for the melee units, slingers can throw heavier and heavier projectiles. one or two stones might be deflected by a shield but an opening might be created big enough for arrows/sling stones (light or heavy)/javelins. the different trajectory of the projectiles can create more troubles to the shield bearer, they'll hold it up to protect from the heavy lobs but they expose the lower body to more straight lead shots or create openings for bounced and ricocheted stones. A terrain where bounces and ricochets don't happen is usually a place a phalanx doesn't want to stand on.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #21 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 12:13pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwiDT8Nvj9E
3:22 they added cloth at the bottom of the shield

2 more things to test: 1)loose hanging leather or cloth as a protection against slings (and arrows if possible)
2) did the sarissas of the last ranks(that where over the heads of the front ranks) provide any protection against enemy projectiles?

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #22 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 8:38am

I find my site about Uxellodunum. It is in french.
https://www.uxellodunum.com/uploads/1/1/6/9/116911940/essais_de_tir__2006_v3.pdf
Good reading Roll Eyes

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #23 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 3:38pm

Is this the real ancient order?
First a melee fighter.
then the archers.
Then slingers:

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #24 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 6:16am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 4:19pm:
@funditor: That’s a question for the maths section. You should be able to predict aerodynamic properties with modern day simulation software.

I did some maths on it already, but the result of the equation can only be as good as the input. There are three parameters I found contradictory or unavailable information.
The cw of a droplet or ellipsoid shaped bullet
A data based starting velocity for ancient sling bullets
Terms for Impact of factors like rotation or tumbling bullets, which has an aerodynmic impact also for sure.

If you have profound nformation on this topics, this would be great.

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #25 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 6:18am

Also an idea for testing
Penetration effect impact of flat almond shape versus rotation symmetric lead bullets
Penetration effect impact of rptation speed of a sling bullet

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #26 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 12:18pm

would be interesting to have both archers and slingers.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 1:47pm

Es gibt noch einen interessanten Punkt.
Bei einer klassisch griechischen Phalanx hatte die Stellung der dicht gestaffelten Lanzen bereit einen Einfluss darauf wieviele Pfeile eine Wirkung erzielten.
Ich habe auch auf linothorax geschossen. Ein guter Schutz. Pfeile werden effektiv gebremst. Dringen jedoch ein. Ein Blei dringt nicht ein. Aber die Frage ist, was ein Träger der rüstung darunter spürt.
Es geht nicht immer um das reine töten. Verletzen ist oft sinnvoller. Sklaven brachte Geld.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #28 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:34am

The Baleares slung against the ships of the Roman invaders, not to sink them, but to injure the crews. The Romans responded by stretching hide screens over their decks

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1255315799/28

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)