Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling myth busting checklist (Read 4846 times)
GurtTractor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

UK, Scotland
Sling myth busting checklist
Sep 14th, 2019 at 7:46am

After watching Tod of Tod's Workshop's excellent recent video testing the effectiveness of armour against medieval longbows - https://youtu.be/DBxdTkddHaE  It made me think of all the unanswered questions regarding the use of slings in warfare, and how cool it would be to one day see experts from various areas brought together to try and actually put to test theories about slings, in the same way as Tod brought together an expert in armour, arrows, etc.

I've read and researched a little about various bits of history and things we know or think we know about how slings were used, and it does seem like so much more could be better understood with good quality experimentation. So here's a list of things in no particular order and off the top of my head that might be interesting to see tested:

The effect of sling ammunition on armour; plate, fabric, helms etc. Armour from different periods, Roman, medieval, Incan slings vs conquistador armour (the tale of how the obsidian arrows were ineffective but sling stones were feared). Fired close and straight, and landing from above.

Distance vs bows, from different times and parts of the world. Simple, compound, etc. Rate of fire and use in siege comparisons also. 

Sling stones vs boats, like how the Balearic peoples were supposed to have done to deter Roman invaders.

Ammunition; all the above but with stone/lead/clay shot where appropriate, and things like whistling shot. And the lethality of these in various sizes.

The time it would take to train and arm a unit of slingers to be effective in warfare. The upkeep and equipment costs.

How slingers would actually work in formation, and in context of a large army.

Just a very rough list, those are just what that I can think of for now, no doubt I will remember more things I've pondered previously, and I'll add them.

If you come across any interesting accounts or apocryphal tales regarding slings that might be interesting to test one day then post them here and I'll add them to the list.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Sling myth busting checklist
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 8:43am

We often hear slingers can out distance bows of the time, while probably true, they would have had to use lead ammo. I've never managed to throw a stone past 250 meters.  Even for 200 meters I need a long sling and perfect stones. If the stones aren't perfect I am lucky if it goes 150 meters.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 10:36am

@
Jauke
I have near zero experience on archery but from the TBB books if I was an archer: 70# 28" draw, 67"bow medium set, straight stave, 500grain arrow, reaches 210yds . As a slinger I reach 218-240yds w/ stones of different sizes and shapes. max ranges are similar. I don't train regularly with either the pulling of a stronger bow or slinging @ long range .
to make the bow shoot further you'll lower the mass of the arrow lowering its effectiveness, to make the slinger throw further you'll give him lead which will go further without really lowering the effectiveness of the projectile.

IP Logged

GurtTractor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

UK, Scotland
Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 10:37am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Sep 14th, 2019 at 8:43am:
We often hear slingers can out distance bows of the time, while probably true, they would have had to use lead ammo. I've never managed to throw a stone past 250 meters.  Even for 200 meters I need a long sling and perfect stones. If the stones aren't perfect I am lucky if it goes 150 meters.

Yes, and it must depend heavily on the time period, and bow and arrow techologies. Arrow design was subtly altered over the years to improve range and accuracy.

According to Wikipedia a Mary Rose replica could shoot 250 metres, though it also said this -

"The effective combat range of longbowmen was generally lower than what could be achieved on the practice range as sustained shooting was tiring and the rigors of campaigning would sap soldiers' strength. Writing 30 years after the Mary Rose sank, Barnabe Rich estimated that if 1,000 English archers were mustered then after one week only 100 of them would be able to shoot farther than 200 paces, while 200 would not be able to shoot farther than 180 paces."

Quite interesting, this would be an good thing to try and put to the test, range and stamina testing. Also in terms of training and average ranges.

It certainly can get a bit tiring slinging at maximum power one shot after the other, but probably not as tiring as trying to work against the spring tension of a bow, as it's more about controlling the acceleration with a short burst of power in the final stage. Big heavy shot can be pretty tiring, I haven't had the chance to try lead yet so I can't quite imagine how that compares. It would be interesting to compare the efficiency of a bow vs a sling for sustained shooting at range.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 12:50pm

I have no doubt the slingers could outdistance the archers. That is one of the big benefits to the sling. English Longbows and the good composites were all high technology from a bow making/mass production point of view and even those would have struggled against a good slinger using actual war arrows.

Early bows were often not that great. The Egyptian composites design to my eyes is garbage. There are many other cultures bows that likely didn't even shoot close to what a good slinger could do.

@GurtTractor Some of the things that interested me were things like "how important was it to ancient commanders for their slingers to be strong enough to sling large stones far with as short a sling as possible or how much emphasis was put on getting a shot off in one or two rotations.

These are real world logistical concepts that would effect fire rate and density. Did they train these things? It would only make sense to do so. 

The big one though, the holy grail for me that we will likely never find is just how accurate were they actually. Because they often give accounts which are simply unbelievable even for some one as optimistic about sling potential as myself.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 5:43pm

Komposit Bögen waren kein Müll. Auch die der ägypter nicht. Es war auch keine Erfindung der ägypter.
Man sieht Bogen 🏹 und sling sehr oft in Kombination. Das bedeutet, daß sie ähnliche genauigkeiten und Distanzen besaßen.
Was aber nicht bedeutet, daß es keine Ausnahmen gab.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 12:54pm

as far as slings versus boats goes - guam is the king. Also fully documented by th spanish.
They held the spanish at bay for 2 years in the 1600s.

Quote:
Because they often give accounts which are simply unbelievable

Hmm, okay. The problem modern man has with our ancestors and their skills, is simply that to us, it's a hobby. To them it was everyday life.

In the era's when slings were in common use, you'd probably have your first one just after you started to walk. And would have used it everyday of your life.

I would also point you at our very own jaegoor. Pretty sure - having watched and slung with him - that he could emulate most historical slinging accounts. Hell with a fair bit more practice than I currently get - so could I.
And compared to our ancestors, even jaegoor is a rank amateur.

Historians have a tendency to dismiss things if they themselves can't do them.
But when you use a tool like a sling, every day, for decades. And for a multiplicity of purposes, yeah, I have no real problem with the vast majority of historical slinging feats.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 3:05pm

Alex. Ich stimme dir voll und ganz zu.
Auch wenn mich meine sling ernähren könnte, in einer echten Schlacht wäre ich wohl einer der ersten Toten.
Ich habe in reenactor kämpfen mit der Schleuder erfolgreich gekämpft. Sehr oft sogar. Nur einmal starb ich dabei. Viele Gegner kannten die sling nicht. Sie waren überrascht 😲
Goliath war ein dummer Kerl. In seiner Armee gab es viele slinger. Oder David war außergewöhnlich gut.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 11:46pm

Maybe CA. But I'm still skeptical. The accounts we have heard  exceed what modern Olympic target archers can do with modern bows and arrows that have millions of dollars of R&D behind them. I am very skeptical that such is possible in the heat of battle with any kind of consistency.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 2:57am

Morphy wrote on Sep 15th, 2019 at 11:46pm:
Maybe CA. But I'm still skeptical. The accounts we have heard  exceed what modern Olympic target archers can do with modern bows and arrows that have millions of dollars of R&D behind them. I am very skeptical that such is possible in the heat of battle with any kind of consistency.

Agreed. I think a lot of those accounts are historical Hollywood. It's like the Viking sagas, biting through shields and splitting rocks with a single sword swing... hmmm...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 5:38am

Um was für Texte geht es? Genauer bitte?

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 8:37am

I ll add distance and self stabilizing capacity of the droplet shaped mesopotanian dried clay sling bullets

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 12:35pm

Why do you want absolutely a very, very, very long distance ?
Is it suffisant to win a battle ?
In the past, a battle is a clinch.
This is important.
Just my idea.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 12:42pm

because the further away you can engage the enemy with deadly force.
The FEWER of them there will be to fight when they get a lot closer.

This is why everyone who used slings in battle ended up using small lead glandes.

They fly a very long way, and you can carry a LOT - so you can keep attacking the enemy over a fairly long period of time and start reducing their numbers fram as far away as possible.

The best hand t hand fight - is the one you avoid by taking out the enemy before they get to you.
Reference Agincourt as the absolute classic - engage the enemy at distance warfare.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #14 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 1:02pm

Personally I'd say that long range firepower isn't necessarily about killing people.

It was likely more about forcing the enemy to close the distance in a quick and thus disorganised manner whilst giving your own troops the time to form up into formation (And said sling glandes would probably disrupt enemy archery). Any kills afforded would be a nice bonus.

And having the small, nearly invisible things whizzing over your head like a swarm of wasps... that would definetly demoralize some people, and might make enemy commanders want to 'rush' in to avoid taking further pot-shots.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick)