Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sling Standart (Read 6600 times)
Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Sling Standart
Aug 26th, 2019 at 4:08am

Es wird viel diskutiert. Slingen als Sport. Und doch geht es nicht voran. Auf denn Balearen ist slingen rückläufig. Es gibt große Probleme. Kein Nachwuchs.
Ich beobachte es schon sehr lange. Ich führte viele Gespräche.
Slingen ist ein Sport der Individualisten. Damit habe ich kein Problem. Aber wir reden ständig über das selbe. Stile und Power.
Jeder mir bekannte Sport hat sehr eigene Merkmale. Standart.
Was ist der Standart beim slingen? Wie kann man es reizvoller gestalten?

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Sling Standart
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 10:24am

We need safe ammo to use when there are other people around, that also doesn't bounce around and get lost easily. Otherwise competitions are too dangerous, imo.

Rocks/clayballs/glandes, I would never be comfortable utilizing their full power when there are many people around, just too dangerous if it accidentally slips out during wind up. I would never risk it.  And without utilizing all the power, the throw becomes weak and boring. It would be like an archery competition where all the bows are sub 25 pounds drawweight.

Tennisballs aren't good either, they bounce so far and easily get lost, and they are too light.

Balloons filled with sands are the best choice for competition or sport ammo when there are other people around. On impact they disform and fall below the target. You can reshape them back into the perfect shape. They dig into the pouch well. You can also make them consistent in the weight you prefer. Competition requires consistent ammo properties. So are the arrows of an archer.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 10:51am

google translate : Quote:
There is a lot of discussion. Slipping as a sport. And yet it is not progressing. On the Balearic Islands sling is declining. There are big problems. No offspring.
I've been watching it for a long time. I had many talks.
Slings is a sport of the individualists. I do not have a problem with that. But we are always talking about the same thing. Styles and Power.
Every sport I know has very own characteristics. Standart.
What is the standard in slinging? How can you make it more attractive?

Jaegoor wrote on Aug 26th, 2019 at 4:08am:
Wie kann man es reizvoller gestalten?

a safe place- a field/range made for slingers similar to archery . For example an archery club near me once had a big field  90m and a small indoors 10m I was excited with the idea that one day I will do archery at 90m. When i visited the indoors range I was informed that the outdoors range was closed indefinitely for safety reasons, i was very disappointed , no outdoors means for me no room for improvement, I didn't even sign up.
I'm running to the same problem with slinging I'm getting sick and tired of being limited to the same 40m range.
with no prospect of slinging at your max potential who will want to learn such a difficult skill.

it's not a foolproof sport , an idiot trying to sling will be a danger to everyone at the range, even advanced slingers might get a stone slip from the pouch during windup. So the field must be made safe not only for those outside but for those slinging as well. Maybe put slinging cages? like those used in hammer throwing. And now things are too complicated , expensive and spacious .

PS: just read jauke's answer. I think we have the same problem but we provide different solutions. I would prefer to be able to sling any ammo that I like, from tennis balls to lead, inside a cage rather than be restricted to a particular "safe" projectile.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 11:48am

you are awae that a 'balloon filled with sand' is a slug blackjack. Blackjacks are illegal in many countries.

It might not bounce but if you get hit with one of mr jaegoors rusty balls. It will break bones and easily kill.

Tennis balls are plenty heavy enough and a good size. If you sling at a target on grass - they also don't roll that far.
Bear in mind you are target slinging - so actually trying to hit something rather than kill it.

They are also designed to not travel far in the air, so you can use a smaller area for the competition.
And they are a universal size and weight, the world over.

Realistically the tennis ball is THE ONLY universal ammunition that anyone anywhere in the world can easily acquire.

Now, if you want to know how slinging can be promoted as both as pastime and a sport.
Then there is only one place you look to: Guam.

They go into schools, they play sling golf (with the blessing of the golf courses) they hold regular meetings.
He's a modest guy, but Roman De La Cruz, has driven the slinging program on guam to the point that, Guam and the marianas islands are the current world centre for slinging. Both for growth in slinger numbers and variety of slinging - and it's variety that attracts people.

It's just a damn shame it's so frigging far away from the rest of the world.

But basically if it can be done, Roman will find a away to get it done.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 11:59am

A paragraph from:
              Traditional bowyers bible vol4
        LESSONS FROM TARGET ARCHERY  Jim Hamm
"Target bows were, by that time, far removed from their battlefield origins, but they were nevertheless involved in some notable feats. The first nationwide British archery tournament was held in 1844, and five years later , in 1849, Horace Ford won the first of a remarkable eleven national championships in a row, a record that still stands today. In the double York round in 1857, which consisted of 144 arrows at 100yds, 96 arrows at 80 yards and 48 arrows at 60 yards- a grueling day's shooting by any standard- Ford shot a world record 1251, a mark that stood unbroken for more than fifty years.Understand he was shooting at these long ranges at a target with a gold center ring(scoring 9 points) under ten inches in diameter, and his skill seems all the more amazing."

I don't know about you but just reading this got me excited about archery, I bet a similar tournament with slings will excite lots of people .
Studying how archery/bow making and other "forgotten" arts were revived will be a good guide for making slinging a more widespread sport.

The sad truth is that since there are no products to be mass produced and make profit from, like the modern bows, no one is going to invest in fields , marketing or the promotion of the sport.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 2:07pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 26th, 2019 at 11:48am:
you are awae that a 'balloon filled with sand' is a slug blackjack. Blackjacks are illegal in many countries.

It might not bounce but if you get hit with one of mr jaegoors rusty balls. It will break bones and easily kill.

Tennis balls are plenty heavy enough and a good size. If you sling at a target on grass - they also don't roll that far.
Bear in mind you are target slinging - so actually trying to hit something rather than kill it.

They are also designed to not travel far in the air, so you can use a smaller area for the competition.
And they are a universal size and weight, the world over.

Realistically the tennis ball is THE ONLY universal ammunition that anyone anywhere in the world can easily acquire.

Now, if you want to know how slinging can be promoted as both as pastime and a sport.
Then there is only one place you look to: Guam.

They go into schools, they play sling golf (with the blessing of the golf courses) they hold regular meetings.
He's a modest guy, but Roman De La Cruz, has driven the slinging program on guam to the point that, Guam and the marianas islands are the current world centre for slinging. Both for growth in slinger numbers and variety of slinging - and it's variety that attracts people.

It's just a damn shame it's so frigging far away from the rest of the world.

But basically if it can be done, Roman will find a away to get it done.

I make mine much smaller than Jeagoors. These are 65 gram.
Granted, that's only about 10 grams heavier than a tennisball, but they're a lot smaller and fly much faster + don't bounce.

Jeagoor uses 10(?) balloons for one of his balls. These only use 3.
The more balloons you use, the more force it takes to deform / the harder it hits. This one is very soft. It will not break bones, nor considered to be a black jack, anywhere.

I've thrown these ones over a 100 times against a wooden backstop. Not a single one has broken. Because the balloon is barely stretched, it is very durable. Fill them with the finest sand, and they become even softer. On impact, they flatten out completely.

No more tennisballs for me. After they hit the backstop they usually end up in the neighbours yard 2 houses further  Smiley

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 4:11pm

Tennisbälle sind scheiße. Ich mag sie einfach nicht. Die Schleuder schlägt zurück. Das ist unangenehm. Rustyballs funktionieren sehr gut. Und ja sie sind gefährlich. Aber das ist ein Pfeil auch. Es ist also nur ein schwaches Argument.
Ton als Munition  ist weltweit verfügbar. Mit denn richtigen Formen kann sie jeder selber machen. Angler tun das. Schützen tun das. Selbst im bogensport gibt es sehr viel Material zum selber bauen.
Ich habe in Deutschland eine Gruppe slinger gegründet. Innerhalb eines sportvereins. Das war nicht ganz einfach.
Vor Jahren habe ich bereits ein System erdacht. Ähnlich wie im Judo oder kampfsport. Sie können im slingen mehrere schülergatuierungen erreichen. Bis hin zur Meisterschaft. Wir tragen keine Gürtel. Wir verwenden farbige t Shirts. Es funktioniert sehr gut. Kinder entwickeln dadurch Ehrgeiz besser zu werden. Und es schafft einen guten Überblick über denn Stand der Ausbildung. Und wir trainieren nicht nur mit der sling. Im Training gibt es viele Spiele. Mit und ohne sling. Besonders beliebt ist pelota mano. Es ist ein perfektes körperliches Training.
Wir schießen Tennisbälle mit der sling. Ein andere fängt sie auf. Ohne viel Power. So lernt man schnell geradeaus zu schießen. Das fangen koordiniert Hand und Auge. Und es gibt noch einige mehr dieser Spiele.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 10:33pm

The biggest issue at least here in America would probably be a lack of the commercial aspect to the sport.

Archery gives hunters another season to enjoy their sport which means a lot of people who wouldn't be as interested end up doing archery for the hunting aspect and not vice versa. This creates a whole culture around it that slinging lacks since hunting is big business here in America and ties into other cousins of the sport- camping, fishing, hiking etc. In other words there's big money for companies to push hunting culture.

Since slinging is very difficult to master to ethical hunting levels and is not yet legal for deer anyways, that leaves mostly target slinging or distance slinging to draw people into the sport. Neither of which are enough by themselves to have a wide spread influx of slingers. The overly difficult nature of the sling ensures that it will likely not be commercialized for hunting so in effect it is its own worst enemy.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 1:06am

Jaegoor wrote on Aug 26th, 2019 at 4:08am:
Es wird viel diskutiert. Slingen als Sport...Wie kann man es reizvoller

We are too focused on what rules or styles or ammunition would make slinging more popular, but those are the wrong things to focus on.  With enough effort, you could make almost any version of slinging popular: long range, accuracy-based, teams slinging soft projectiles at other teams, sling-based golf... whatever. It doesn’t matter what games or rules you pick.  Obviously the game must be fun, but what really matters is that the game makes people always want more of it.
One of the most effective ways to do this is with money. If you can find a way to organize something that people are willing to pay for, then anyone who makes money from it will be motivated to put in the effort to spread the slinging culture.  Selling slings is generally not very profitable, but selling training might be if you can duplicate your martial art format for new clubs without also duplicating Jaegoor.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 6:26am

one jaegoor is enough for any world !
lol

Yep, we talk a lot about this at the international.

Competitions should be much more comprehensive.
Speed slinging for example: How many throws in 30 seconds.

Distance, that has a lot of arguing. I maintain that distance comps with tennis balls is the only logical approach.
You don't need much space, it's safe and also very hard. Getting a tennis ball to travel any real distance is really bloody difficult.
But it's something anyone can practice anywhere in the world.

You need to seperate distance competitions from absolute distance.

Given that absolute distance would need to be done on an area well over 500metres on a side, and with a totally lethal projectile, it's not practical for regular competition.
I still have yet to find anywhere in the uk that we could use for a world record attempt with a lead glande.

But everyone slinging the same missile for distance - very easy to do.

Given that target slinging is only 20-30 metres, I really don't see why it has to be split into male and female categories.
I know puchi and mar agree with me.
In team slinging everyone slings 20 metres. And teams can be as mixed as you like - men, women, kids.

There are a lot of the current balearic rules that make no sense.

And for a global slinging movement we'll need to lose many of them.

@jauke - that is still a potentially lethal projectile.

There needs to be something for everyone. people who can't hit a barn door if they're holding the handle, might be really good at speed slinging or distance slinging - and vice versa.
People who can't swing a golf club - for whatever reason, might be able to use a sling to play golf.

But tying it all up to history and tradition - is not the way forward. Unfortunately convincing the balearic folk of this is a long and constantly uphill battle.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 9:33am

You also need a flagship game that everyone associates with slinging. There can be more than one game, obviously, but you need one thing or one epic event that serves as a focal point.   Speed, range, accuracy challenges, etc are technical things that serious slingers appreciate but those are highly technical and nuanced games that are not good spectator sports. You need something fun to watch and fun to play. There should be drama, suspense, cliff-hangers, and rivalries.
... and after all of that, you need originality and ease of access. Slam Ball is arguably more fun and exciting than basketball, but both because it’s derivative, and because its difficult for people to play at home, it’s not as big:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ouXw328WYI

In the same way that slam ball is derivative of basketball (and maybe a few other sports too), sling golf only borrows from the popularity of golf.  It’s also less accessible because it requires a golf course.

Start by imagining how you want the sling-based sport to look, then work backwards to your actual system.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 10:40am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Aug 27th, 2019 at 9:33am:
Start by imagining how you want the sling-based sport to look, then work backwards to your actual system.

something like this but for slings and staff slings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bJvT7RHh7o
it seems like a university , a temple and a range for archery
or any other #MyRange . That would be wow!
I wonder how the other ranges were founded, the turkish range is from 1450s.
it's not easy to work backwards to the actual system. Probably we should start with creating many small clubs in a lot of different cities around the world and attract some curious souls :p
then cooperate
then it can be recognised as a sport
it's going to take decades...  Undecided

at first the only common thing the clubs should have is the use of sling , no need for any other standard.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 7:25pm

Actually what works best is to give a bunch of people a sling and a sock ball each - stick them in a field and just let them sling at each other Smiley

IT's all anyone wants to do at the start.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #13 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 2:44am

I think that the most marketable version of a sling would be as a dog ball thrower, that doubles as a leash. But the ball throwing sticks are still probally more marketable.

As a kids toy I think it's too hard in the beginning , it would need to become viral like a fidget spinner or yoyo. And then it falls into the problem of what it's throwing.
I think that as a harmless game where you throw at eachother with the right ammo it could be fun but again hard to get people keen to play.

As a survival tool it would get a little traction , you could make videos on how to use the sling in multiple variations as a snare or bowdril. And videos displaying its potential . But again that's individual.

For me the most fun I have with a sling is just messing around by a lake or ocean where there is an abundance of free ammo and space.

the sling is the tool and the game depends on the projectile

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 2:51am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 27th, 2019 at 7:25pm:
Actually what works best is to give a bunch of people a sling and a sock ball each - stick them in a field and just let them sling at each other Smiley

IT's all anyone wants to do at the start.

I'm still kind of sad I haven't had the opportunity for a "sling war". If you give a sling to a kid (or an adult really...) the first or at least second thing they'll think is "I wonder if I could hit them...". It's human nature in my opinion. Might be good to play into that but safely!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: LightSlinger, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)