Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crashing the Internet (Read 401 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Crashing the Internet
Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:14am

Ghengisken mentioned a fear that we are one crash away from losing a lot of good information on slinging... here’s what would have to happen:
First, the computer hosting slinging.org would have to crash. Assuming that the web hosting is a tier2 data center, the on-site backup drives would also have to be corrupted.
Next, the backups at archive.org would also have to be lost. Given their purpose, Archive.org is probably distributed across multiple data centers with backups in separate locations.
Data centers are designed to be secure and robust. They don’t build them in areas where they are likely to encounter natural disasters, and the physical security is also good. Did you know that a tier 3 data center is required to have bulletproof panels in the reception desk in the lobby?  Required!  Seriously... who’s going to burst into a data center with guns blazing?! They are also required to have backup generators and fuel storage for power interruptions and short term events... And there are thousands of data centers spread around the world.
It’s actually quite difficult to take down “the Internet “. Our online slinging knowledge library is probably safer than you think, and it would be pretty difficult to have an Alexandria type of event, but still, I agree that a book version would be nice  Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2019 at 9:23am by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Crashing the Internet
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 11:20am

and the three backups I have on different computers and drives would also have to disappear.

Mind you haven;t backed the forum up for a while.
Might do that at some point.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner)