Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Smooth release cords- technique (Read 4821 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Smooth release cords- technique
Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:30pm

For a very long time all my slings ended with a medium-small knot on the release cord end which I held in the nook between my index finger and thumb. This seems to work ok- but recently I've been experimenting moreso with smooth release cords.

I know when gripping these knotless cords, you still use your thumb and index finger to grasp the cord, however I find that this is sometimes insufficient for heavier rocks and I need at least a little knot mid cord to ensure safe grip. I would like to move to or at least experiment with totally smooth cords here, as it allows variation in the retention finger and grip position.

I hear a lot of people say a nice thick release cord is easy for retention of heavy rocks but in my experience a knot seems essential, my index finger can't seem to grasp with enough strength to pin the cord by pure friction.

So, in terms of technique- even though you grasp with the pinch grip, do you also use your fist to hold the cord too? Or do you just pinch grip the cord with a deathgrip that even high velocity 200g+ rocks can't pull a cord clean from?

I would test myself, but slinging doesn't come easy in a big city  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Smooth release cords- technique
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:58pm

I wonder about the material and construction technique. If it is pretty thick and braided there can be fairly large ridges that should anchor the fingers. I've been making slings with quite long release cords where I actually hold a fair few cms up the cord with the knot often resting in the palm of my hand. In this way, I'm not really holding the knot at all. Doing this happened by accident but I haven't seen much difference or at least not a noticeable difference. Again, maybe it's the material.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 10:50pm

I am part of the group that normally doesn't use a knot in the release cord.  This allows not only variation in the retention finger and grip position as you mentioned, but it's also easy to adjust if you want the projectile a little more forward or a little further back in the pouch.  Obviously one of the issues that comes with this is that you do need to pay more attention to where the projectile is sitting in the pouch because there is no knot as a guide.

I don't have a set grip for the release cord.  I usually start with a hold between the thumb and index finger, but from that point it's just feel.  With a heavier projectile I find it quite natural to grip harder or to include additional fingers.  Sometime going as far as a full fist grip.  It also seems to be a natural reaction to grip harder as I spin a sling faster.  As Kick suggested, the size and material of the sling play a big part.  Some materials just have more friction and it feels comfortable not holding on as tightly.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 11:18pm

A tab (leather or string) works well Smiley
Think this is Jaegoors

image_177.jpg (373 KB | 57 )
image_177.jpg

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 4:18am

I've never used tabs actually. That's going on the list. Of course I'm still waiting for that glorious day I get paired with Jaegoor for the SITH Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 11:11am

In the past I've gotten slings with tabs from other members and they've worked well for me.  Personally I'm not a fan of the smooth release cord.  Maybe it's just that I'm used to a knot being there.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 12:09am

You might also consider experimenting with a dab of silicone... it won’t add much thickness, but it will allow you to grip the end better.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 9:05am

I second the tab. Best design I've tried regardless of ammo weight. Thicker, stiffer tabs give a better grip than very thin ones made of flexible leather. Definitely worth a shot if clean release is what you're looking for.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:00pm

A wooden bead right below the release knot is a good alternative also.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 3:53am

Eine holzperle funktioniert nicht. Ebenso eine perle aus Horn oder Metall. Beides funktioniert nicht. Durch die Geschwindigkeit beim Schuß werden die Perlen zerstört. Oder sie reißen von der der Sling ab.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 3:53am

Eine holzperle funktioniert nicht. Ebenso eine perle aus Horn oder Metall. Beides funktioniert nicht. Durch die Geschwindigkeit beim Schuß werden die Perlen zerstört. Oder sie reißen von der der Sling ab.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 8:39pm

I've never tried a tab, will have to sometime- and the silicone thing too.

I think my issue with smooth cords might just be that in many I'm thinning them out too much, so that they are hard to grip. This is usually in my efforts to make a louder crack  Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 12:18pm

Jaegoor wrote on Jul 9th, 2019 at 3:53am:

It's true that a wooden bead won't last forever but they'll last through a reasonable number of shots and are easy to replace. Adding a bead isn't something I do much but my experience with them has been mostly favorable.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 5:17pm

I use a kind of "knot", one side is smooth the other raised like a knot. If I don't have a light grip I release late... I prefer it from smooth because of the belief ,can't prove it but seems logical, that relaxed forearm muscles allow for higher arm speeds and more control.

tried smooth and I pinch for very light stones and full grip on the bigger stones.

In lighter stones I can't see much difference but on heavy stones I really like the "knot" I use.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 9:08am

Rat Man wrote on Jul 23rd, 2019 at 12:18pm:
Jaegoor wrote on Jul 9th, 2019 at 3:53am:

It's true that a wooden bead won't last forever but they'll last through a reasonable number of shots and are easy to replace. Adding a bead isn't something I do much but my experience with them has been mostly favorable. 

I just added a small Turk’s head knot  to act as a bead on my latest sling. It grips the release cord well and doesn’t slide during use, but you can work it up or down the cord if you want to change the position.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy)