Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Linen Thread/Cordage (Read 1066 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Linen Thread/Cordage
Jun 16th, 2019 at 2:10pm

I am looking for a place to buy high quality bleached linen thread/cordage. I bought 2 rolls of 12/3 linen thread (approx. 1 mm or just slightly thicker than waxed tooth floss).  I spent approx. 35 US dollars for them. They might be enough for one sling but 35 dollars for just the raw cordage is quite a bit!

Does anyone have a cheaper supply of natural "inelastic" cordage? Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2019 at 3:36pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Linen Thread/Cordage
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 2:20pm

I still have a good bit of linen cord left in a spool I got a while back.  But I've started using it more regularly for new slings, so about a month ago I was looking around for options when it does run out.  I don't have a specific supplier to recommend, but there are some pretty good deals on Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/search?q=natural%20linen%20cord.  Although most of the interesting options are outside the US, so shipping costs might negate what starts out as a good deal.

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 3:24pm

I’ve gotten some nice linen from here:
https://natural-craft-supply.com/collections/string-twine
I’ve only tried the 6 strand domestic linen, but it’s about the nicest linen I’ve used in terms of quality. It is thinner than I like for most of the Egyptian slings I make ( but thicker than I like for a fine Tut reproduction), so I mostly use it for slings with twisted cords rather than braided. I also like it for whipping, stitching, and other jobs like that, but I rub wax on it for those kind of things. One spool lasts me quite a while, but exactly how many slings I can get out of it I couldn’t say for sure.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 11:37am

Thanks for the leads guys. So far both places seem like good possibilities. The place I'm buying from now seems to sell a good product but $18 dollars for 50 grams of linen thread seems mighty pricey.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 3:37pm

linen is always expensive but 35 dollars does seem high ...how about a beading shop ..it is what I use .

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 9:24am

Apparently it’s pretty labor intensive to make linen, and there is approximately zero production in the US. There’s a good chance that tarriffs might also add to the price, but I haven’t looked that up.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Linen.html

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 10:16pm

Eudave wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 3:37pm:
linen is always expensive but 35 dollars does seem high ...how about a beading shop ..it is what I use .

I need to shop around apparently. The stuff I bought is very high quality but a better balance between price and quality would be nice to find. If I locate any cheap bulk sources I'll post the link here.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)