Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Covers (Read 2499 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Covers
Jun 16th, 2019 at 1:24pm

I've always felt covering a popular song and making it not only good but also your own song is one of the most difficult things in music. Mainly because everyone is always going to be comparing it to the original. And the more iconic the original song the more difficult to make a cover of it and have it anywhere near as good as the original.

Make it too much like the original and you're playing it safe to the point of boredom but veer too far away from the original intention of the song and you risk losing your audience completely or even angering them. It's a fine line but some manage to do it very well.

I thought I would post a few covers and mash ups that I think manage to walk this line. If you are inclined please post some as well.

Heres one that is quite far from the original version of the song but is considered by many to be a great success as a cover.- Mad World - Gary Jules, cover of Tears for Fears.

https://youtu.be/Oa-ae6_okmg

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Covers
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 1:47pm

Both versions are great.

Sound of Silence.  By simon and Garfunkel,  and covered by disturbed. 

Also

Bad Company by bad company , and covered by five finger death punch

IP Logged

metalode
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

QLD Australia
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 6:45pm

I would have said Sound of Silence as well actually. I don't know if he counts, but most of weird al yankovic's songs are excellent, I just not sure if you could call them covers though lol.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 7:39pm

metalode wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 6:45pm:
I would have said Sound of Silence as well actually. I don't know if he counts, but most of weird al yankovic's songs are excellent, I just not sure if you could call them covers though lol.

He does parodies.  Which he is awesome

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 7:59pm

One of my favorites has always been Knockin' on Heaven's Door.  I'm a big fan of the original by Dylan, but Guns N' Roses absolutely nailed it.  Other's have done it too, but in my opinion no one has come close to the G N' R version.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 6:45am

Alot of people do not know that  a bunch of hits from big bands, have been covers. But I recall an incident when I was in submarine school for the navy.  A roommate of mine and I got into an argument.  I almost threw him out the window due to his stupidity.  I was listening to 'The Who',  behind blue eyes. When he came into the room, and said that ' the Who' did a horrible cover to ' Limp Bizkit ' original song. Lol. I flew off my bunk and got into his face, and being very passionate about music explained to him the the lead singer of 'Limp Bizkit 'wasnt even born yet when 'The Who' came out with their original song 'behind blue eyes'. Let's just say, that after that incident non of my room would discuss music with me, and my reputation was spread. I never had a conversation about music till I got out.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 8:05am

Those are great covers vetryan.

You guys forgot "Hurt" covered by Johnny Cash originally by 9 inch nails.
https://youtu.be/vt1Pwfnh5pc

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 10:35am

perpetualstudent wrote on Jun 17th, 2019 at 8:05am:
Those are great covers vetryan.

You guys forgot "Hurt" covered by Johnny Cash originally by 9 inch nails.
https://youtu.be/vt1Pwfnh5pc

Thanks, I love Hurt, there are so many that most i cant think of.  Beatles getting covered by Aerosmith,  and GNR.
Metallica getting covered by Korn with song 'One' and covering 'word up'. Rob zombie covering grand funk railroad.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 1:52pm

I've shared this before on the Music Round-up thread, but I still think it's the best cover ever. Coil took the intro song to a camp 60s comedy TV show set in a department store and recontextualised it into this weird haunting hymn that sounds more like it's about death and ascension than going up in a lift. It's fantastic. It's everything I feel a cover should be. It's completely transformative and makes you see the lyrics in a whole new light. It's one of my favourite songs ever.

https://youtu.be/ztdatfUEW94
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2019 at 10:54pm by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 3:22pm

Pink's cover of "Me and Bobby McGee" is pretty awesome.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 9:42pm

Weezer does a great cover of Toto's "Africa."  Sleeping with Sirens does a really nice cover of the Goo Goo Dools "Iris."
    Then there's this.  Jess Greenberg's absolutely beautiful cover of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WNYZFMlS-U
Listen to it.  You won't be sorry.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 1:52pm

The screamo cover of "Love Story" originally by Taylor Swift makes me smile every time I hear it.  Grin The look on my sister's face was priceless the first time I played it around her and she realized what it was.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 3:27pm

Lot's of stuff to listen to here.  I like it.  Smiley

I'll also add to the list every cover that was done by Nirvana on Unplugged.  And one of the truly great covers, Hendrix playing All Along the Watchtower.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 4:28pm

Speaking of Hendrix, I still get chills watching this video.  It's Jimi doing Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode."   Jimi was a god with a guitar in his hands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_rk-RITts
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2019 at 12:37pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 4:53pm

Many believe that Janis Joplin wrote "Ball and Chain" but it's actually a Big Mama Thornton song. Anyway, it's a great cover.  Many consider this the greatest live performance by a female Rock vocalist ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5If816MhoU
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2019 at 2:45pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man)