Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
More slinging practice videos including staff sling (Read 4072 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: More slinging practice videos including staff sling
Reply #15 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 4:27pm

I definitely agree that it's all just variations of underhand sidearm and overhand. Sometimes I think we all, and I'm definitely guilty of this, get caught up too much in working out exactly which technique is being used. I much prefer broader categories.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 5:03pm

Sie werden mit der Zeit automatisch einen eigenen Stil entwickeln. Dieser wird unverwechselbar sein. Man wird Sie an Ihren Stil erkennen.
Ich träumte einmal von einem großen Slinger Sport. Ähnlich wie andere Sportarten.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 8:51pm

Big change from helicopter to figure-8!  I also struggle with hip movement. I almost can't do fig-8 without looking goofy. Yours is much better looking.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 2:38am

@
Kick

If you could find a wall to sling against, it would be better in many ways.
it would allow you to sling with more power without chasing all those balls afterwards, you could use 2-3 tennis balls instead of a bag since they would rebound back to you.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #19 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 9:07am

Sarosh wrote on Jun 21st, 2019 at 2:38am:
@
Kick

If you could find a wall to sling against, it would be better in many ways.
it would allow you to sling with more power without chasing all those balls afterwards, you could use 2-3 tennis balls instead of a bag since they would rebound back to you.

I agree Cheesy Sadly nowhere like that around here, or at least I haven't found it. At least all the walking to pick them up gives me some exercise.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 11:02am

Oder sie stellen ein Ziel auf denn hinweg und auf dem Rückweg auf. 😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #21 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 3:22pm

Thought I would tack this onto an old thread rather than start a new one. More testing of the improved staff sling. It's too long and I'm still working out the best hand placement. My reloading sucks as well Cheesy More regular and staff sling videos coming.

https://youtu.be/H9CZBsKBTmE

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #22 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 4:05pm

@
Kick
probably one arm has to be on the end of the staff . the staff is not too long. for tennis ball weight you probably need narrower grip
have you tried sword style?

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 5:02pm

Nice video.what is the distance to the target

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #24 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 8:56pm

Great stuff Kick!  Although you needed to hang an egg in front of your target with a piece of tape and a string. Wink

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #25 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 5:15am

Sarosh wrote on Mar 22nd, 2020 at 4:05pm:
@
Kick
probably one arm has to be on the end of the staff . the staff is not too long. for tennis ball weight you probably need narrower grip
have you tried sword style?

I would say it is too long. Holding it by the very end is too unwieldy and puts it so far away from me that it's really difficult to judge the angle. It's too late now anyway as I just shortened it yesterday. Cheesy I've only done some quick testing with sock balls inside but it already feels much better. Hopefully I'll get out and do some testing with tennis balls and then move on to rocks. I don't want to go straight to rocks with this because it's been so unpredictable. What'e really cool is that I haven't let the cut-off go to waste. That's no a mini staff sling or stick sling I guess and that seems to work REALLY well (with sock balls inside). It's also easier and quicker to load. I can really see it being a good option for hunting if that would ever be needed. Very quick flick of the wrist forward and it flies fast. Video for that coming soon.

Greenjay wrote on Mar 22nd, 2020 at 5:02pm:
Nice video.what is the distance to the target

About 20 paces. I wasn't very exact but something around that.

joe_meadmaker wrote on Mar 22nd, 2020 at 8:56pm:
Great stuff Kick!  Although you needed to hang an egg in front of your target with a piece of tape and a string. Wink

I did think about that, but, with everything happening, I couldn't really bring myself to waste food. I might have to go for one of the other challenges but that depends on whether staff slings are considered cheating Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #26 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 1:43pm

Been out today again with tennis balls. The staff sling is, I think, about as good as I can get it. Still working on the best hand position but I got two hits on the metal pan in a row. That says to me it doesn't need any more fiddling.

The stick sling was a different matter. I had a lot of trouble with it releasing early so had a go at slowly increasing the hook with my tiny little keychain penknife. It got better but was very inconsistent. Also it's really done a number on my wrist. When it was good, it was really good, but, when it slipped early or hooked straight into the ground, it was not fun. Once I got home, I took the round file and some sandpaper to it. I then went out for a walk with my girlfriend who has been cooped up inside all day and I had a go chucking some rocks with it. With those shots, it worked much better. I think adjusting the hook helped but I think also the heavier ammo had an effect. I think it's time for some rock tests.

I did some regular slinging too. I'm still the most accurate with Greek but I also went back to Fig 8 which I haven't done in a while and surprised myself. Got a few hits and very close shots. I've noticed generally my accuracy is getting much better. I'm sure it will all go downhill once I go back to rocks.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #27 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 2:21pm

Oh yeah and here is a new general slinging video I filmed at the same time as the staff sling one:

https://youtu.be/z1h5D1H_Oag

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #28 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 4:55am

I've done some more practice with the staff sling but this time with rocks. I still absolutely love it but the pouch isn't working out. Because it's a large leather Rockman style it has overlapping layers and on some of the shots the rock slips into the overlap and gets caught which then makes a horrible noise and slams directly into the ground. Every time I've thought the pouch or the paracord has ripped. It's done no noticeable damage, but I hate it so I've swapped out the pouch to another one that is just a flat piece that was wetted and cupped. It was on a regular hand sling, but it's large enough for a staff sling so I think it should work well. More testing. I'll be filming a video tomorrow (weather and time permitting) so I'll finally be able to show it off properly.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #29 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 4:38pm

Nice video.
Very calm and satisfying. Especially when you hear the bonk. I can only imagine it must have been the same a thousandfold for you. The long sling wind up is very cool.

It's a shame you didn't get the one that got stuck in the handle on video. That must've been a one in a trillion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris)