Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Olympic Games sports discipline (Read 4899 times)
funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Olympic Games sports discipline
May 30th, 2019 at 2:08am

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

esse

Vienna, Austria
Re: Olympic Games sports discipline
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2019 at 2:12am

I wonder what exactly widely practised means? My assumption would be at least several clubs and a federation per coumtry

Also min. 75 Nations for men and min.40 for women... At the moment only Spain would comply I think

That may be even more countries than on the forum  Wink

Btw Alex how many countries are here?

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2019 at 2:14am

Austria has now a club, a second one in building, a federation in planning thereafter.

Only with a federation you can apply for subsidiaries 😉

What other countries do have clubs yet?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - May 30th, 2019 at 6:31am

The problem is that slinging is still very widely practiced... in the countryside on farms in developing countries. Even those that are avid slingers don't necessarily see it as a sport. There are "rural" games like ploughing competitions and I feel slinging would fit better there than at the Olympics. The Balearics have kept up the competition aspect but I feel that's because of their history of using them in warfare. Most other places with slinging traditions, haven't used them (if they ever really used them to any great degree) in warfare for, at the very least, hundreds of years and instead have used them for herding which doesn't lend itself to the "noble" Olympic games. I can't see it ever happening unfortunately.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2019 at 8:36am

75 for men 40 for women?!
I think we can find 75 for men . There is not a single female member active on the forum :p ....
Also I've been wondering if slinging can become a "hema" martial art, if yes then we solve the problem of having to create a club from scratch.
See some of the discontinued sports they are in a much better place than slinging eg baseball.
Slinging has only history on its side

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - May 30th, 2019 at 4:00pm

guam, the balearic islands, spain, germany, austria
A bunch of the micronesian islanders have slingers, not sure about clubs or regular events though. Think that's currently just guam.

Far as I know that's currently it.

We did have a guy running a group in france for a while - not sure if it's still going. Caldou !

I suppose if you count re-enactors, then we can throw in the uk as the vikings have a fairly large active slinging section

Trying to find an indoor setting to hold a regular meeting over here is proving tricky Sad
It rains a lot, indoor makes more sense.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #6 - May 31st, 2019 at 12:41pm

Sarosh wrote on May 30th, 2019 at 8:36am:
Also I've been wondering if slinging can become a "hema" martial art, if yes then we solve the problem of having to create a club from scratch.

I have a feeling they won't like it... What would it be called, Sling-no-jutsu?

That said, It wouldn't surprise me if several hundred years ago some thief thought robbing the local shepherd boys would be a good idea, but got sling-tied for their efforts
Tongue

Slings are pretty much rope, so you could easily use it for grapples and trips.

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 4:25am

We did have a guy running a group in france for a while - not sure if it's still going. Caldou !Curious Aardvark wrote on May 30th, 2019 at 4:00pm:
We did have a guy running a group in france for a while - not sure if it's still going. Caldou !

Indeed, I read on the internet about some regular activities arpound Paris, but it was some 10 years ago or so, and no lifesign since then.

I sometimes sling with one friend or two, and occasionnaly meet some people who actually knows what a sliing is Roll Eyes
but no organised structure as far as I know.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 12:38pm

he moved - but that sounds about right and the right time scale Smiley
Think I even sent him one of the pennants I picked up in wyoming in 2007.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 7:37pm

*Massive Yawning* Well, I was hibernating for quite a while it seems...

So yes, I moved (2 times even) since I tried to create this club, including one move to a 3,000 inhabitants village...
Now, I'm back in a city but I don't have the same space to sling peacefully. And it's a rainy zone, so quite hard to be motivated to get out and go slinging.

My slinging is now more "historical" oriented, even if I try to take my slings out while doing archery.

I still have your pennant C_A !

Frondeur, faudra qu'on cause un jour plus en détail, même si le trajet Picardie-Cevennes est un peu long, je descends régulièrement (une fois par an, en gros) tirer dans le Limousin, un peu moins loin Wink

PS : Sorry for the broken english, it's quite late...

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 8:19am

@Caldou

Avec grand plaisir. je suis assez mobile, quand mon emploi du temps me le permet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, LightSlinger)