Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll closed Poll
Question: what type of sling do you like the most (in terms of weight)?
*** This poll has now closed ***

light sling    
  8 (50.0%)
heavy sling    
  3 (18.8%)
both    
  5 (31.2%)

Total votes: 16
« Created by: cram on: May 27th, 2019 at 10:21am »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
sling weight (Read 6284 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: sling weight
Reply #30 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 4:41pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 8:35am:
Mersa wrote on Jun 5th, 2019 at 6:45am:
Ha ha . Yeah it's a no2 opinel , and jakanati is pretty much right . I use the knife mainly for work and preparing fruit for lunch . That's a good reason to my knowledge. It's also a very small and reasonable knife to carry . In all honesty my keys are probally more of a treat as a weapon than the knife would be 
Weird law but.  I knew a person who said to a police officer that they had a pocket knife incase of an attack  when asked, the knife was confiscated and the person fined.

Yeah “self defense” is apparently not a good reason for a disarmed populace.  That’s the policeman’s job, so you’ll just have to politely ask the criminals to wait patiently while you call emergency services...  Tongue

Texas is a little more favorable to citizens protecting themselves, but I ran into a similar stupid law here in Texas that says you can only carry a “club” if you’re a licensed security guard or police officer. If you have problems with stray dogs while walking in your neighborhood, it’s safer (from a legal perspective) to carry a samurai sword than a stick.

Ok... rant over. Back to slings!

Possibly the only good thing about being old is that no one questions my "walking stick."  It's a four foot shovel handle.  I'm not sure what kind of wood it's made from but it's very dense and heavy.  I put some West Coast Whipping around the top so it looks at least a little like a walking stick.  I call it My Peacemaker.  It has stopped many stray dogs from committing acts of violence against my beasts just by virtue of its presence.  Over the years there have been three times when I've actually had to use it  to save my dogs from a mauling. Usually just the threat of a bashing is enough though.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #31 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 7:12pm

I prefer a dense sling. Thin, yes but with a bit of mass especially at the pouch for me.
I've gotta say, natural fibers can feel a bit "airy" sometimes or rather light for their size.
And as for recoil, I know what you mean Mersa. Making a loop for multiple fingers solved it for me.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #32 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 10:17pm

Tomas wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 7:12pm:
Making a loop for multiple fingers solved it for me.

I've always been curious if anyone else did that.  I normally make slings with a larger finger loop because I fit it over my middle and ring finger at the same time.  There wasn't a particular reason for it.  Just one of the first slings I started using regularly had a larger finger loop, so I used two fingers.  And that's what became comfortable and normal for me.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #33 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 5:37pm

@Rat... the other good thing about being old is that it beats the alternative  Cheesy

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #34 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 1:12pm

I love my little 20 gram 27 inch Rockman sling. I can throw things as light as pecan nuts hard enough that they shatter against a wall or tree and things not much heavier than 80 grams. The heavy sling that JudoP sent me for SITH (still need to get some pictures eish) throws heavy projectiles easier. Wink

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #35 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 2:40pm

Willem208 wrote on Jun 12th, 2019 at 1:12pm:
I love my little 20 gram 27 inch Rockman sling. I can throw things as light as pecan nuts hard enough that they shatter against a wall or tree and things not much heavier than 80 grams. The heavy sling that JudoP sent me for SITH (still need to get some pictures eish) throws heavy projectiles easier. Wink

If that sling is anything like the one he sent me, it'll be a damn good sling. I still use mine regularly for tennis balls and rocks.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #36 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 4:59am

For distance and speed the light sling is a must for me. I prefer them to be under 15 grams length extended arm to mid chest or other shoulder.

There's something about a heavier sling though, when you pick it up, there's a psychological effect. It feels like you are holding something substantial, a real weapon, this might give some confidence
While with my ultralight slings, they are so thin and light I can fit it in a tiny pocket, can barely feel its there
and while it will throw further and faster, it feels less like I am armed.

I see slinging with these light and efficient slings to be more rational, but there's something very romantic/rustic about
the multiple rotations and very tight grip I prefer to use with thicker slings and the overall feel and sound of these slings.
But it quickly dissolves away when I have a vast landscape around me and I just want to be able to plant stones as far as possible with the best spiral spin, without all the theatrical noises and energy losses of a thick sling

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #37 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 8:09am

I wouldve said light. But I think my tastes are changing. Ill have to see. Light works fine but Ive been very impressed with Balearic style slings as well. I guess I am on the fence at the moment.

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #38 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 11:33am

JudoP wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 4:36am:
I wouldn't trust a natural fibre sling below a certain thickness

Very interesting post, what do you think about cord 16 mm sisal ?
The thickness is 16 mm, 4 sisal strands of 2 mm each individually, folded in half, and woven together, it turns out 16 mm, do you think it will be reliable? Visually it's subtle
tightly woven

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #39 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 12:46pm

so far I've gotten about 200 throws out of a single 1.8 mm twisted cord waxxed hemp sling, it is starting to show some signs of wair,
I don't think it will snap unexpectedly, I'll just chuck it away when I don't visually trust it anymore

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #40 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 5:34am

Scorpion Vin wrote on Jun 13th, 2021 at 11:33am:
JudoP wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 4:36am:
I wouldn't trust a natural fibre sling below a certain thickness

Very interesting post, what do you think about cord 16 mm sisal ?
The thickness is 16 mm, 4 sisal strands of 2 mm each individually, folded in half, and woven together, it turns out 16 mm, do you think it will be reliable? Visually it's subtle
tightly woven

So the sling is an 8 strand braid of 2mm strands? That should be easily durable enough. Issues with durability arise when you try to get paracord thin and below IMO. Of course, it might not be a fatal weakness but I wouldn't expect thin natural slings to last as long as a standard balearic sling for example.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #41 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 3:58pm

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #42 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 4:58pm

Interesting, you're almost doing a pirouette like motion. I've not seen that before, a transition from greek to a shoulder-intensive throw. I can see it's utility.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #43 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 10:58am

I can definitely see potential. What I like about Greek styles is you are holding it quite close to the “pull” which I would think would make it possible to be really consistent. But I think maybe that is oversimplifying the issue a bit.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #44 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 11:41am

it's quite phenomenal  for thin cords to get a rifled release to achieve high speeds and distance with lightwieght 50-80 g biconicals. I can definitely see why they needed plieers to remove real sling bullets. But I am discovering that for general Balaeric target distance my accuracy is better off with more rounded spherical stones and an inline (trebuchet) release with a more conventional throwing motion, the diagonal overhand slice like Jaegoor often promotes, and not a Greek-pirouette with rifled release. Although this is for another topic

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick)