Send Topic Print
More on Fishing (Read 12673 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: More on Fishing
Reply #75 - Apr 23rd, 2022 at 2:02pm

As I mentioned above, years ago I started taking the treble hooks off of my Daredevil type spoons and replacing them with either kinked shank worm hooks or weed guard hooks to make them weedless.  Also I'd add a trailer. Though this changed the action of the lure from a spin to a wobble it was just as effective plus now I could cast them into the junk where the fish are. 
    This gave me the bright idea that I could do the same thing with my crankbaits.  I was certain it had to work.  Making crankbaits weedless would make them even better.  Why hadn't anyone else thought of this?  So I removed the treble hooks from most of my favorite crankbaits and replaced them with weed guard hooks. I couldn't wait to try my brilliant idea.
     It was a total failure.  To this day I don't know exactly why. I guess the weed guard hooks altered the action of the lures though to me it still seemed fine.  I tried for months to catch a fish in the weeds with crankbaits with weed guard hooks.  Fish avoided them like the plague.  Luckily I kept all of the treble hooks.  I restored all of the crankbaits  to their original state.
     Hopefully this post will keep someone else from wasting a lot of time and effort like I did.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #76 - Apr 23rd, 2022 at 2:22pm

Speaking of crankbaits, there is an art to using deep diving crankbaits in shallow water.  It's best if you have a fairly sensitive rod and a super line with almost no stretch so you can feel what's going on. 
    Most people won't use a crankbait in water shallower than it was designed to dive out of fear of hanging it up on the bottom.  This is a shame.  They're missing out. 
    With a little practice you can use a lure that is designed to dive fifteen or twenty feet in three feet of water.  Why would you want to do such a thing?  Two reasons.  First, doing so allows you to draw a mental contour map of the bottom.  Second, bumping and dinging the bottom and objects like roots and stones on the bottom with your lure drives fish mad.  They won't be able to resist  it. 
     If you cast your deep diving crank into shallow water and start reeling like mad you will surely snag the bottom and probably lose your expensive lure.  You have to be slow and gentle.  Reel slowly.  Take it down to three feet.  Then four.  Then five, etc., etc.  Eventually you'll lightly tap the bottom or something on the bottom.  As soon as you make contact stop reeling.  Let the lure rise up a foot then begin slowly reeling in again.  Repeat the process.  A deep diving crankbait has a big diving bill on the front to make it go deep.  This same bill will protect it from getting snagged as you make contact with the bottom or objects on the bottom.  As you practice this technique something good will happen.  A big fish will slam your lure. 
     If you take your time you'll quickly master this technique with minimal lure loss.  I can fish the same deep diver in very shallow water all day without losing it.  This technique is extremely effective for getting semi-dormant fish very interested in your offering.  It is well worth the time it takes to master. 
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2022 at 12:07pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #77 - Apr 25th, 2022 at 2:20pm

Rat Man wrote on Apr 23rd, 2022 at 2:22pm:
If you take your time you'll quickly master this technique with minimal lure loss.

Haha! Yeah right! I will never have minimal lure loss. Try a lost lure every other cast! lol.

John R.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #78 - Apr 25th, 2022 at 11:06pm

Don't be a know it all.  I have been fishing for sixty two years and have picked up a few things but I certainly don't know everything.  No one can know everything about fishing.  If you find yourself fishing near someone don't assume that you're better because his gear is cheap and clunky or he's bobber fishing and you no longer use bait.  Every fisherman you come across knows something about fishing that you don't.  That's the nature of the sport.  When you consider yourself an expert and stop listening you are ignoring a valuable resource.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #79 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 2:49pm

Catfish have a very sensitive sense of smell and love stinky bait.  They'll eat almost anything.  They'll even hit on piece of Irish Spring soap on a hook.  Crap works too.  They really aren't particular.  But there are some things they like more than others.
    You want bait that leaves a strong scent trail.  For that reason a lot of saltwater baits are excellent to use for Catfish.  Moss Bunker is a smelly, oily fish.  Around here it's usually used for crab bait.  It makes excellent Catfish bait.  Clams are good too.  Eels will also hit on everything mentioned here except maybe the soap.  One of my favorite baits for Catfish is squid.  They love it.  Also I've caught several nice Pickerel on squid which I find unusual because Pickerel only take live bait.  Shrimp will work well also but shrimp are expensive and taste better than Catfish so I'd rather eat the shrimp than use them for bait. 
    But you get the idea.  The next time you go Catfishing use some smelly, oily saltwater bait.  It doesn't have to be fresh.  You're welcome. 

Edit:  Though this has nothing to do with saltwater baits, one of the very best baits for Catfish is chicken livers.  Livers will outfish just about everything else.  The only drawback is that they're soft so you have to cast them gently and you can't use them where there's a strong current.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2022 at 7:09am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #80 - May 19th, 2022 at 12:44pm

Stealth Mode:
    Can fish see what's going on above them out of the water?  You bet your butt they can.  Way back when I used to keep freshwater game fish for the table I would often find terrestrial animals such as birds or rodents in the stomachs of Pickerel or Bass.  Obviously they can see what's going on above them.  Consequently you want to avoid fishing with the sun at your back whenever possible so you're not casting a shadow over the water.  When you approach a fishing spot stay low.  Sneak up on it. Move slowly.  It can make a huge difference.  Also don't wear bright colored clothing.  Not only will this give you away to the fish but it will attract insect pests like Deer Flies and Yellow Jackets. 
     Often when fishing in one of the beautiful rivers in the Pines I can hear other canoes or kayaks approaching from miles away.  People hitting the sides of aluminum canoes while paddling is probably the worst offense.  Water transmits sound four times better than air so if I can hear you coming from two miles away I imagine you're not sneaking up on any fish.  Usually they'll have a radio blaring Rock music and they'll be hollering from boat to boat or talking loudly to one another in their canoe.  Fish don't get to be trophy sized by being stupid.   "Gary, you sure catch a lot of really big Pickerel.  You are really lucky."  Maybe.  And sometimes you make your own luck.  Be silent.  It makes all of the difference in the world.  There's another perk to fishing in silence besides catching fish.  Other wildlife won't hear you coming.  You can sneak right up on some spectacular sightings. 
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2022 at 11:42am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #81 - May 20th, 2022 at 7:16am

lol yeah, one of my favourite sayings: 'the more you practice, the luckier you get.'

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #82 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 2:41pm

Roe sacks:  many people, particularly in America, throw them away with the rest of the guts.  For God's sake, you're wasting the best part of the fish.  The roe of any fish is delicious.  Remove the sack whole and fry it in a little butter.  The sack will break open as it fries.  That's OK.  Try it once and you'll never throw roe away again.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #83 - Jun 8th, 2022 at 12:57pm

In sparsely populated areas where lakes get less fishing pressure fish are easier to locate.  You simply look for points, pockets, structure, and cover... the aforementioned Edge Theory simplified.  But in town lakes in heavily populated areas this won't work.  Why?  Because everyone with a rod and reel knows to fish the points, pockets, cover, and structure.  In heavily fished lakes every stump has a dozen lost lures stuck in it.  Every day the prime areas are bombed relentlessly with fishermen's offerings.  But that doesn't mean that you can't catch fish in these lakes.
    My late brother in law Bob was a very good fisherman.  I learned from him and he learned from me.  One of the things he taught me was a way to find some of the prime spots that others miss in heavily fished bodies of water.  This trick will only work on certain days when there is some but not too much wind.  When the breeze blows watch the surface of the water.  In some places there will be almost no little waves and in others there will be plenty.  You've just found another edge; one most other fishermen will  miss.  Fish the edges of where the wavy areas meet the no wave areas.  These will either be dropoffs or weed edges.  Such areas will be ignored by most fisherman who are busy bombing the fished-out points, pockets, structure, and cover.  To the others fishing on the lake you'll apparently be casting Hail Mary's into open water hoping for the best.  And chances are you'll be the only one catching anything.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2022 at 4:00pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #84 - Jun 13th, 2022 at 2:15pm

This is the Heddon Moss Boss that I mentioned in the beginning of the thread.  It's been around for a while.  This is probably the most weedless hard lure you can find.  If you're just learning to fish the junk this lure is a good choice.  It is very forgiving. Cast it far into the worst slop.  Keep your rod tip up high and SLOWLY work it in stopping frequently.  If you come to an open pool swim it slowly through it.  Take your time.  Sooner or later a lunker bass or pickerel will smash up through the mat and take your Moss Boss in one of the most exciting strikes you'll ever see. 

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #85 - Aug 11th, 2022 at 11:33am

So far I've written about lures and tactics that have been effective for me.  There are some lures that I just don't get.  Most of them are popular lures that have been around forever.  I've fished the hell out of them and they just don't produce for me.
    The Jitterbug is an extremely popular lure that's been around since before I was born.  I've spent countless hours fishing a Jitterbug.  I don't recall ever getting one hit on it.  The same with the Hula Popper.  I've seen other people catch fish with it.  For me nothing.  The Zara Spook is a big, cigar shaped topwater lure.  I can't tell you how many hours I've "walked the dog" with a Spook.  I've caught just a few small fish on it.  Poppers in general I don't have much luck with.  And though I have had great success buzzing a big tandem spinner on top when I buzz a Buzz Bait nothing happens.  There are many brands of crank baits that I have great success but I don't catch squat on Cotton Cordell lures.  They seem to look and swim like many of the other crank baits that I use that I have success with but I've never caught a fish on a Cotton Cordell lure. 
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of these lures.  Some fishermen swear by them.  But for me they just don't produce.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2022 at 11:33am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #86 - Jan 14th, 2023 at 9:50pm

I have spent a lot of time catfishing.  I do mean a lot of time.  Through trial and error I've learned that the best hook to use is a Khale.  I don't know why they're so effective but you'll get a lot more hookups using a Khale for catfish than any other hook.  Catfish have big mouths so I'd use nothing smaller than a 4/0 hook.

Khale.jpg (24 KB | 15 )
Khale.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #87 - Jan 14th, 2023 at 9:59pm

Your hooks can't be too sharp.  If you don't sharpen your hooks you're wasting your time.  Some hooks come right out of the box razor sharp.  Most don't.  Using a sharpener like the one shown below it only takes a few seconds to get an edge as sharp as the sharpest razor.  It makes all the difference in the world.  I won't go fishing without a sharpener.

sharp.jpg (18 KB | 13 )
sharp.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #88 - Jan 27th, 2023 at 3:25pm

Crabbing:  it's not really fishing but its close enough. 
    My parents started us crabbing when we were literally still in diapers.  Crabbing is something I can do very well.  My record is 296 keepers in one day. 
     Crabbing isn't as complex as fishing can be.  For tackle all you really need is a weight, hand line, crab net, and a piece of bait.  You can use traps too.  There are pyramid traps and box traps.  The pyramid traps work a  little better but both are effective.  You can also use a commercial crab pot but that requires a license. 
    Crabs are basically scavengers and will  eat anything.  And it doesn't have to be fresh.  My favorite bait is Moss Bunker, a very smelly, oily fish.  You can use any fish but the more oily the better.  A lot of people use chicken, which also works fine.   You can use any meat.  I've also used squid with success. And if your bait has gone bad, no problem.  The stinkier the better. 
    If you're using a hand line just let it out until your bait and weight sit on the bottom.  Every so often gently lift the line to see if there's anything on it.  You'll feel a little more resistance.  If you feel extra weight on your line SLOWLY pull it up.  When you get it near the surface you'll be able to see if a crab is hanging on.  If there is one scoop him up with your crab net. 
     Traps are even easier.  Bait the trap, let it down to the bottom, and wait.  Pull it up ever so often to check it.
      I usually use an equal number of traps and hand lines together.  You can run a lot of traps and lines from one small boat... eight or ten if you wish. 
      You don't necessarily need a boat to crab.  You can do it just fine from the shore or a bridge.  Many of the bridges near the seashore have walkways specifically for people to crab from.
     The most common mistake people make is moving around all day.  Choose a good spot; one where the water isn't too deep or shallow, like six to ten feet.  You want to be out of the main current but not far from it.  Once you pick your spot stay there.  Many people, especially novice crabbers, get bored after an hour or two of catching nothing and move to a new spot.  Crabs find your bait by the scent trail it leaves.  If you've been sitting in one spot for an hour you've been laying out a scent trail all of that time.  Just wait. If there are crabs in the area they will find you.  If you move then you'll have to start your scent trail all over again.  Patience is what differentiates a successful crabber from a failure.  Sometimes you have to wait hours for the tide to turn before you start catching.  So wait.  Moving accomplishes nothing and prevents the crabs from eventually finding you.
     In New Jersey we have Blue Claw Crabs.  They're not as big as some species but nothing tastes better. 
     Make sure you know your local regulations. 
     That's about it.  I could fill many volumes on fishing but crabbing is a simple affair.  Use stinky bait, pick a good spot, stay there.     If you've never done it before, if you ever get the opportunity I highly recommend it.  It's a great day out 
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2023 at 12:26pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man)