Send Topic Print
More on Fishing (Read 5909 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: More on Fishing
Reply #75 - Apr 23rd, 2022 at 2:02pm

As I mentioned above, years ago I started taking the treble hooks off of my Daredevil type spoons and replacing them with either kinked shank worm hooks or weed guard hooks to make them weedless.  Also I'd add a trailer. Though this changed the action of the lure from a spin to a wobble it was just as effective plus now I could cast them into the junk where the fish are. 
    This gave me the bright idea that I could do the same thing with my crankbaits.  I was certain it had to work.  Making crankbaits weedless would make them even better.  Why hadn't anyone else thought of this?  So I removed the treble hooks from most of my favorite crankbaits and replaced them with weed guard hooks. I couldn't wait to try my brilliant idea.
     It was a total failure.  To this day I don't know exactly why. I guess the weed guard hooks altered the action of the lures though to me it still seemed fine.  I tried for months to catch a fish in the weeds with crankbaits with weed guard hooks.  Fish avoided them like the plague.  Luckily I kept all of the treble hooks.  I restored all of the crankbaits  to their original state.
     Hopefully this post will keep someone else from wasting a lot of time and effort like I did.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #76 - Apr 23rd, 2022 at 2:22pm

Speaking of crankbaits, there is an art to using deep diving crankbaits in shallow water.  It's best if you have a fairly sensitive rod and a super line with almost no stretch so you can feel what's going on. 
    Most people won't use a crankbait in water shallower than it was designed to dive out of fear of hanging it up on the bottom.  This is a shame.  They're missing out. 
    With a little practice you can use a lure that is designed to dive fifteen or twenty feet in three feet of water.  Why would you want to do such a thing?  Two reasons.  First, doing so allows you to draw a mental contour map of the bottom.  Second, bumping and dinging the bottom and objects like roots and stones on the bottom with your lure drives fish mad.  They won't be able to resist  it. 
     If you cast your deep diving crank into shallow water and start reeling like mad you will surely snag the bottom and probably lose your expensive lure.  You have to be slow and gentle.  Reel slowly.  Take it down to three feet.  Then four.  Then five, etc., etc.  Eventually you'll lightly tap the bottom or something on the bottom.  As soon as you make contact stop reeling.  Let the lure rise up a foot then begin slowly reeling in again.  Repeat the process.  A deep diving crankbait has a big diving bill on the front to make it go deep.  This same bill will protect it from getting snagged as you make contact with the bottom or objects on the bottom.  As you practice this technique something good will happen.  A big fish will slam your lure. 
     If you take your time you'll quickly master this technique with minimal lure loss.  I can fish the same deep diver in very shallow water all day without losing it.  This technique is extremely effective for getting semi-dormant fish very interested in your offering.  It is well worth the time it takes to master. 
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2022 at 12:07pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #77 - Apr 25th, 2022 at 2:20pm

Rat Man wrote on Apr 23rd, 2022 at 2:22pm:
If you take your time you'll quickly master this technique with minimal lure loss.

Haha! Yeah right! I will never have minimal lure loss. Try a lost lure every other cast! lol.

John R.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #78 - Apr 25th, 2022 at 11:06pm

Don't be a know it all.  I have been fishing for sixty two years and have picked up a few things but I certainly don't know everything.  No one can know everything about fishing.  If you find yourself fishing near someone don't assume that you're better because his gear is cheap and clunky or he's bobber fishing and you no longer use bait.  Every fisherman you come across knows something about fishing that you don't.  That's the nature of the sport.  When you consider yourself an expert and stop listening you are ignoring a valuable resource.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #79 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 2:49pm

Catfish have a very sensitive sense of smell and love stinky bait.  They'll eat almost anything.  They'll even hit on piece of Irish Spring soap on a hook.  Crap works too.  They really aren't particular.  But there are some things they like more than others.
    You want bait that leaves a strong scent trail.  For that reason a lot of saltwater baits are excellent to use for Catfish.  Moss Bunker is a smelly, oily fish.  Around here it's usually used for crab bait.  It makes excellent Catfish bait.  Clams are good too.  Eels will also hit on everything mentioned here except maybe the soap.  One of my favorite baits for Catfish is squid.  They love it.  Also I've caught several nice Pickerel on squid which I find unusual because Pickerel only take live bait.  Shrimp will work well also but shrimp are expensive and taste better than Catfish so I'd rather eat the shrimp than use them for bait. 
    But you get the idea.  The next time you go Catfishing use some smelly, oily saltwater bait.  It doesn't have to be fresh.  You're welcome. 

Edit:  Though this has nothing to do with saltwater baits, one of the very best baits for Catfish is chicken livers.  Livers will outfish just about everything else.  The only drawback is that they're soft so you have to cast them gently and you can't use them where there's a strong current.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2022 at 7:09am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #80 - May 19th, 2022 at 12:44pm

Stealth Mode:
    Can fish see what's going on above them out of the water?  You bet your butt they can.  Way back when I used to keep freshwater game fish for the table I would often find terrestrial animals such as birds or rodents in the stomachs of Pickerel or Bass.  Obviously they can see what's going on above them.  Consequently you want to avoid fishing with the sun at your back whenever possible so you're not casting a shadow over the water.  When you approach a fishing spot stay low.  Sneak up on it. Move slowly.  It can make a huge difference.  Also don't where bright colored clothing.  Not only will this give you away to the fish but it will attract insect pests like Deer Flies and Yellow Jackets. 
     Often when fishing in one of the beautiful rivers in the Pines I can hear other canoes or kayaks approaching from miles away.  People hitting the sides of aluminum canoes while paddling is probably the worst offense.  Water transmits sound four times better than air so if I can hear you coming from two miles away I imagine you're not sneaking up on any fish.  Usually they'll have a radio blaring Rock music and they'll be hollering from boat to boat or talking loudly to one another in their canoe.  Fish don't get to be trophy sized by being stupid.   "Gary, you sure catch a lot of really big Pickerel.  You are really lucky."  Maybe.  And sometimes you make your own luck.  Be silent.  It makes all of the difference in the world.  There's another perk to fishing in silence besides catching fish.  Other wildlife won't hear you coming.  You can sneak right up on some spectacular sightings. 
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2022 at 8:28am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Slinging.org Administrator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #81 - May 20th, 2022 at 7:16am

lol yeah, one of my favourite sayings: 'the more you practice, the luckier you get.'

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)