More on Fishing (Read 12686 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: More on Fishing
Reply #60 - Jul 22nd, 2021 at 10:13pm

walter wrote on Jul 22nd, 2021 at 9:48pm:
Morphy wrote on Jul 21st, 2021 at 6:37am:
I personally like braided but to each their own. Glad its working good for you J.

@RM- I might have to get that one. Lure fishing is a lot of fun. When you are in a decent area that is. In an area that is hit or miss I tend to prefer bait. Or even better bait on one pole and a lure on the other.

All the while, keeping an eye on that floating gill net Smiley

I admit in my youth I kept a few illegal fish from my cast net.  Cool Cast nets are a thing of  beauty. Never used a gill net but I know they are super effective.  Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #61 - Jul 24th, 2021 at 8:30am

Expensive rods are certainly nice and often worth the money.  With a good graphite rod you can feel EVERYTHING going on down below almost like you had eyes down there.  But there's something I discovered.  If you use a super line like FireLine or one of the premium braids you probably don't want that expensive graphite rod.  Why?  Because the super lines have virtually no stretch to them and the most expensive rods tend to be stiff.  So if you have a very expensive rod and a reel strung a super line you have no flex at all.  This will inhibit your casting ability and when you set the hook you'll be ripping the fish's face off.  You absolutely need a little flex in your set up.  As mentioned earlier I like FireLine a lot.  Consequently I'll use a composite pole with some flex in it like a reasonably priced Ugly Stick (great rod).  Or even a cheap fiberglass rod.  Just something to consider.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #62 - Jul 24th, 2021 at 8:46am

I've been fishing with a more simple setup, a simple telescopic rod without reel ir guides & some line at the end with bobber weight, small treble hook and nightcrawlers. It works for all kinds of small fish.
This setup works better in ponds and pools with lots of lilys and other plants where reel fishing would simply get snagged on plantation. Simply drop the bait between the plants.
I think one of the most important aspects regarding fishing is knowing where the fish are. Once you got that you down you can catch the fish with a homemade pole and line. It's a nice change compared to using the reel which does feels so sporty and modern while this way feels very traditional and simple. Of course the rod and reel is great as well
But today I want to try this simple method of fishing but with waders on, on the edges of a lake between the reeds and all stuff. Waders & polarized glasses are very convenient

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #63 - Jul 25th, 2021 at 8:54am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 24th, 2021 at 8:46am:
I've been fishing with a more simple setup, a simple telescopic rod without reel ir guides & some line at the end with bobber weight, small treble hook and nightcrawlers. It works for all kinds of small fish.
This setup works better in ponds and pools with lots of lilys and other plants where reel fishing would simply get snagged on plantation. Simply drop the bait between the plants.
I think one of the most important aspects regarding fishing is knowing where the fish are. Once you got that you down you can catch the fish with a homemade pole and line. It's a nice change compared to using the reel which does feels so sporty and modern while this way feels very traditional and simple. Of course the rod and reel is great as well
But today I want to try this simple method of fishing but with waders on, on the edges of a lake between the reeds and all stuff. Waders & polarized glasses are very convenient

In America we fish for Crappie and sometimes Sunnies that way.  It can be a very effective means of filling your stringer with pan fish.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #64 - Jul 25th, 2021 at 10:34am

I bet it is. We don't have those fish here I believe. Here I catch so far mostly roach and small perch with this method.
All that being said I am not cathing 10 small fish for every big fish. More like 2/3 small fish on the simple rod compared to
1 big pike or decent size perch on the spinningrod.  I keep experimenting to see what works best for me

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #65 - Jul 25th, 2021 at 6:06pm

Cane poles are great. Cane pole, bobber and bait. Makes for a fun afternoon.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #66 - Jul 26th, 2021 at 3:53am

yes and defnitely not outdated, some area's are really only suited for this type of fishing with pole.
Now that I know how to use a spinning rod I want to get better at using my hobo reel
The challenge is to catch a pike with my hobo reel. The only the complex part of this setup is
the spinner lure.
most pike so far I've catched were right in front of my feet.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #67 - Jul 26th, 2021 at 6:58am

I got me some spiderwire translucent braid, seems like the best of both worlds .

Small fish really seem to be discouraged by too large hooks. I switched to smaller hooks and now getting 3 times more bites

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #68 - Mar 1st, 2022 at 6:59pm

Spring is almost upon us and the lakes are waking up.  This is a good time to revamp this thread.  I'd like to discuss fish attractants. 
      Do fish attractants like Berkely Strike really work?  Yes, absolutely, but possibly not for the reason you think.  Companies like Berkley and many others do a lot of research and experimentation trying to come up with the best fish attractant formula.  They are very popular and many fishermen, myself included, use them. 
    That said, there is a debate as to whether or not such a thing as a fish attractant actually exists.  Some claim that fish attractants don't really attract fish.  All they do is mask odors like tobacco, rust, human scent, or whatever. 
     Here's the good news; it doesn't matter whether fish attractants really attract fish or just mask unwanted odors.  It makes no difference whatsoever because in either case the result is the same... you catch more fish using them.
     My very favorite is Baitmate.  It works as well as anything I've ever tried and it's reasonably priced.  It has a licorice scent. 
     Many lures come impregnated with fish attractant, salt, coffee, etc., etc.  Do these lures work? Yes, yes, and yes.  Absolutely.  One of my all time favorites is the Mann's Jelly Worm.  They come in fruit flavors like grape, blackberry, and cherry.  The biggest Largemouth I ever caught in my life was on a grape Jelly Worm.  Jelly Worms have been around since I was a kid and probably even before that.  Fish them just like you would any plastic worm.  After a while the scent wears off and they aren't quite as effective but they'll still work.  Try them rigged Texas style and you'll thank me for the tip.
     While we're on the subject of smelly baits I'd like to mention pork rinds.  Uncle Josh I guess is the most popular pork rind bait.  They come in little jars of smelly pork brine. They're available in many shapes and sizes.  Some are cut into strips like Bass or Striper Strips.  Some are cut into chunky frog imitations. The strips can be used as trailers on spoons and spinners.  The pork frogs are generally used on skirted bass jigs. (pig and jig)  They are extremely tough so unless it falls off your hook you can use the same one all day.  When finished fishing you can put it back in its jar and use it again later.  Pork rind baits are extremely effective, so much so that most major Bass tournaments ban their use.  I love them. 

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #69 - Mar 2nd, 2022 at 8:35am

tinned hotdogs.
bait and attractant in one.
Cheap and easy to use bait Smiley

Works for a whole bunch of species.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #70 - Mar 2nd, 2022 at 10:38am

Best attractant: dynamite. They come to you.

Ive also had good luck with cheeto powder for trout. The one day I tried it I reeled in 15 in a few hours when everyone else was struggling to catch one. Not sure if thats technically legal but if not just pretend you read that wrong.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #71 - Mar 3rd, 2022 at 7:50am

Morphy wrote on Mar 2nd, 2022 at 10:38am:
Ive also had good luck with cheeto powder for trout. The one day I tried it I reeled in 15 in a few hours when everyone else was struggling to catch one. Not sure if thats technically legal but if not just pretend you read that wrong.

Interesting tip.  I'll have to keep that in mind. 
   For those who like to carp fish;  dough balls impregnated with strawberry Jello powder are killer. 

c_a; I've used hot dogs for Catfish many times.  They work quite well.  Of course Catfish will eat just about anything.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #72 - Mar 3rd, 2022 at 4:09pm

Ive said this a million times before RM but I saw a video for fly fishing a large stream and man it made me want to fly fish. It looks so fun... have you done much fly fishing?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #73 - Mar 4th, 2022 at 7:41am

No, unfortunately.  I was going to get into it once years ago.  I talked with fly fishing friends, did research, and actually got as far as picking out the beginner equipment I was going to purchase.  But it never happened. I can't say why. It was just one of those things.  I inherited my late buddy Del's fancy bamboo fly fishing rod so maybe someday I'll take it up.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #74 - Apr 6th, 2022 at 2:42pm

To those who freshwater fish with me my trademark is big lures.  I often get asked "What are you fishing for, Barracuda?"  Yet by the end of the day usually I'm the one laughing.  Don't be timid about using big lures in small water.  Fish are more apt to see the flash or color than the size.  Many times I'll catch a fish smaller than the lure I'm using.  A common cause of death of predatory fish like Largemouths and Pike is attempting to swallow prey that is too big for them to handle.
     A 12" plastic worm isn't too big.  A nine inch crank bait isn't too big.  A nine inch spoon and trailer combination isn't too big.  A tandem spinner with #8 blades isn't too big. 
     Try using bigger lures... ones that you might think of as too big now.  You'll be pleased with the results. 
     Of course nothing works all of the time with fishing.  Sometimes going the exact opposite way is the thing to do.  I've caught some mighty Bass and Pickerel on tiny panfish lures.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris)