More on Fishing (Read 12674 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: More on Fishing
Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 8:25pm

walter wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 9:49pm:
Rat Man, what do you think of dare devils and what fish would you try them on?

I love Daredevils.  They seem to work on just about every kind of fish, in fresh or salt water.  Some of the species I've caught with them are Bass (both Large and Smallmouth), Pickerel, Crappy, Sunnies, Catfish (yes, Catfish), Yellow and White Perch, Bluefish, Weakies, Shark, Trout, Rock Bass ... the list is long.  For many years I fished the Daredevil as is.  These days I remove the treble hook, replace it with a kinked shanked worm hook, and put a trailer on it.  This changes it's action from a spin to a wobble, but it's still very effective and rigged like this you can throw it in the slop where the fish are.  Though I use them all the 1/4 oz size is my favorite.  I like all of the patterns but the traditional red and white is my go to. Daredevils rank very high on my favorites list.  I wouldn't be without them.

Edit:  for many years the Daredevil was my #1 go to lure.  Then in the 80s I discovered the Johnson Silver Minnow and that became my favorite at the time.  But to this day Daredevils are very high on my list of best lures ever.

Edit:  If you remove the treble hook on a Daredevil and replace it with a weedless hook and trailer as I suggested above make sure that the trailer isn't too big for the lure.  Using too big/heavy a trailer will kill the wobble action rendering one of the all time great lures useless.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2022 at 1:53pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:55am

Lately I've been thinking it would be fun to make my own lures and see if I can't catch some big fish on bits of string and tin. That would be very satisfying.

I agree on fishing the junk. I used to fish up in the mountains of Utah at a place called Navajo lake. When I was new there I couldn't figure out how one person was reeling in fish after fish while everyone else was getting skunked. Turns out you had to use a lot of weight to punch through the weeds way out in the middle of the lake. All the big trout were down there. We started catching a ton of fish after that realization.

IP Logged

metalode
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

QLD Australia
Reply #17 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 10:38pm

Don't really get weed out here in the rivers, I do fish fallen/sunken timber though for murray cod, my favorite lure for that is a fruit salad 105mm stumpjumper. Cant use spoons there, they just get snagged when they hit a tree.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 8:36pm

Morphy:
    My friend Del and I often design our own lures.  It's loads of fun and a good way to learn what works and what doesn't.
metaload:
    Stumpjumpers are always a good option.  I agree that they're great for working over fallen timber.  I also like a pig and jig for that purpose.  3/8 oz is a good size for me.  A black and blue skirt works the best around here. Many other colors can be effective.
    One more thing I'd like to say about Daredevils... they cast like a bullet.  That's one of the reasons I prefer the 1/4 oz size.  On light line you can cast one half way to France.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2019 at 7:18pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #19 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 10:03pm

I mentioned tandem Bass spinners earlier.  They are very weedless even though they don't look like they would be.  I am a fan of big blades.  Any quality tandem bass spinner will work right out of the box but if you want to increase its effectiveness then increase the blade size.  You can order blades from Bass Pro, Cabala's or any such store. What kind of blade to use is too involved a subject to cover in a quick paragraph but whether you prefer Colorado, Indiana, or Willowleaf blades you can increase the number of hits you get by increasing the blade size.  Don't be afraid to use a #7 or #8 blade.  They might look obnoxiously big but trust me, the fish will love the extra flash.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 1:03pm

I mentioned this once on another fishing thread here years ago... jig spinners.  You can attach any inline spinner like a Mepps, Roostertail, Blue Fox, Panther Martin, etc. to them. Why?  For two reasons.  First, they add extra fish attracting flash.  Also they eliminate line twist.  Using a swivel with an inline spinner helps prevent some line twist. Using jig spinner with one eliminates it completely. 
     You can also use jig spinners with any sort of jig or Shad Dart.  Plus you can build your own lures with them.  Put a grub on a standard 1/4 oz jighead and attach it to a jig spinner and you've just built an extremely effective lure for next to nothing.  Several of my friends' first lure fish ever were caught on such home made lures.
    The jig spinner is a very versatile piece of equipment.  What you can do with it is limited to your imagination. 

js.JPG (9 KB | 37 )
js.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #21 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 8:49pm

One other thing I'd like to mention is something that's been covered on other fishing threads here but I feel it's important enough to mention again... The Edge Theory.   I didn't invent The Edge Theory.  I read about it in In Fisherman magazine back in the 80s.  They admitted that they didn't invent it either. 
    Imagine you find yourself on a lake that you've never fished before.  How do you find the fish?  By fishing in a spot that has the most edges.  What sort of edges?  You're looking for differences.  Examples are where weeds meet open water, where different sorts of weeds and plants converge, where deep water meets shallow, where clear water meets stained, where cold water meets warm, where ice meets open water, where tributaries meet larger bodies of water, where fast moving water meets slow... the possibilities are many.  The bottom of the lake is an edge as is the surface.  Dusk and dawn are edges.  I could go on for a while with this but you get the idea.  Match up as many edges as you can in one place and you'll more than likely find the fish.  The Edge Theory also works just as well for hunting.  At first you have to think about it but after you've used it for a while finding edges becomes automatic.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2019 at 1:32pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #22 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 5:57pm

Now is the time of Summer doldrums when the fishing action slows down considerably. It will stay this way until Fall. There is much natural food so the fish are less interested in your offerings. Also there are many more weeds so you can't zero in on cover... it's everywhere. Fish can still be caught but you have to work much harder. Sometimes downsizing your lure selections can help. The bottom line is that you'll be making many more casts for each fish.
     Depending on your area of the country, around October the fun starts again. The water cools, the weeds retreat, natural food becomes more scarce, and the fish have an urgency to feed and fatten up as much as possible before Winter sets in. Also many sportsmen are concentrating on hunting now so there is less pressure. Summer is tough. Mid to late Fall is my favorite time to fish.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #23 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 3:16pm

My guests had a good day on  my lake yesterday.  First is Chad with a couple of respectable Bass.

Chad1.JPG (44 KB | 60 )
Chad1.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #24 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 3:16pm

Chad2.JPG (39 KB | 41 )
Chad2.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #25 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 3:17pm

Chad's friend TJ also caught a couple.

tj1.JPG (56 KB | 46 )
tj1.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #26 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 3:18pm

tj2.JPG (62 KB | 44 )
tj2.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #27 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 3:19pm

Chad's nine year old daughter Michelle was out by herself in my little Discovery canoe.  She caught the biggest one of the day.  It was her first bass ever.

M1.JPG (83 KB | 44 )
M1.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #28 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 3:21pm

For some reason the Pickerel, which are plentiful in my lake, have been absent for a few weeks.  I think the water is too warm for them.  They're probably laying on the bottom in the deepest, coolest part of the lake waiting for Fall.

m2.JPG (52 KB | 40 )
m2.JPG

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #29 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 2:33pm

Finally started on this jig and got my self a spinning rod and taught myself how to use it and delved into this hobby. What a great hobby it is ! Have caught a fair few of fish last week. My favorite so far is to fish predatory fish with spinning rod and an artificial lure but have also caught some smaller fish with worms. That's more fun to me than just sitting in a chair waiting for a float to be pulled under but I can also see the fun in that.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)