Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
new experimental data on the distance of sling projectiles (Read 4109 times)
TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
new experimental data on the distance of sling projectiles
May 15th, 2019 at 12:10pm

Hello,
Perhaps before, you know this experience in Peru.
If you write the text of the subject, you can read a work made by Margaret Brown Vega and Nathan Craig about the distance of native sheperds in Andes.
I think it's very interesting.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: new experimental data on the distance of sling projectiles
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2019 at 2:57pm

I don't get why an .edu site asks for email or facebook account. i don't get it and i get really upset when research papers need any effort to access. Angry

i didn't read it, just saw 130m max and got disappointed.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2019 at 8:10pm

One of their subjects got 130m, most topped out at ~80m, surprisingly low for 'experienced slingers'.

The field is wide open for bringing in a good slinger and putting some lead out to 400m+. Would smash all these previous experimental records.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #3 - May 16th, 2019 at 3:38am

130 metres?

No offense, but I've already beaten that distance with crappy jagged limestone rocks that are aerodynamically horrible.

With lead, I've probably achieved throws over 300 metres, though I can't say that with certainty.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - May 16th, 2019 at 6:29am

A lot depends on how the locals use their slings. If these are peruvian shepherds, then they are going to be more target oriented than distance.
Most of us europaens tend to mainly sling for fun and distance.
How large were the missiles they were slinging ?
How long the slings ?
How old the participants ?

many of the balearic slingers would struggle to make 100m.
Because that's not their day in day out slinging aim.

A sling is a tool that has many uses and configurations.

It's all relative Smiley 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - May 16th, 2019 at 9:34am

The Tibetan slings I have are really good slings for shepherds as they are easyto use and you can easily plant a rock where you need it with no problem. For distance, they're useless, but you don't need to sling super long distances with them. It's important to recognise that slings are incredibly powerful and can achieve amazing distances but often they've been, and in some places still are, used simply to hit near a curious carnivore to tell it to bugger off.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2019 at 12:55am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #6 - May 17th, 2019 at 1:13am

Well, I have no problem per-say with their performance... I mean distance is one aspect of many... and shepherds do not necessarily need to rely on range (Which I imagine is more militarily important) so much as on accuracy. Killing your flock is not intuitive to good shepherding!

My concern however, is that people are going to read these results first-hand and think "Hah, Archers are gonna kick their asses!", without looking more into the subject.

Which has already happened several times thanks to Thom Richardson's 'attempts' at slinging. No offense to the man, but If I was going to be the Curator of the Royal Armouries, I certainly wouldn't go on a tangent about how my 'novice' level performance is going to be indicative of an experts performance level and then brush the weapon aside!

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #7 - May 17th, 2019 at 11:52am

This text is good. But, it just shows peruvian sheperds, at the beginning of the XXiè.
It's necessary to imagine a range for novices in sling, like many archeologists. But, the reality in the past is greatly unknown.
The authors want to understand the place of sling in the problem of hillforts of Incas. Another study explain the problem but it's in French.
Soon, I look for.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2019 at 5:59am

Caldou had said before to see a website about UXELLODUNUM in Gaul.

Archeologist tested in 1998 sling and bow to have an idea of the problem of hillfort. They found a range of 150 m at the speed of 173 km/h at the impact with sling and a range of 130 m with a bow when you defend the fort.

Yes, it's just un exemple, but it's more precise.

My English is not good to do un abstract for you. If you can read the site, it's better, of course !

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #9 - May 18th, 2019 at 12:37pm

I finally had a chance to read through the article.  Thanks for posting the copy Sarosh.

The article appears to confirm what they wanted.  Meaning they showed that a throw of the distance they were looking for is possible.  But there seems to be a large amount of variation in this experiment.  They used a large number of different individuals, all using different slings, and a pretty large variation in projectiles.  From the article, "stones within the range of 4–9 cm long and 2.5–4.5 cm wide".  It definitely would have been nice to see specifics on the sling and the projectile for each throw.

The stand out is obviously the guy who had the 130 m throw.  From the data, he was also consistently around 30 - 40 m farther than most of the others.  I wonder if this was mainly because of him, the sling he had, or maybe he was taking all the best rocks Cheesy

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #10 - May 19th, 2019 at 11:11am

I am not able to do un abstract for you but I can do a mathematic exemple.
I hope my drawing is understandable.

img110.jpg (122 KB | 76 )
img110.jpg

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #11 - May 19th, 2019 at 11:18am

Sorry,
Vo is the initial speed and g=9.81.
The slinger is on the wall of the hillfort.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #12 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 11:53pm

The Craig and Vega experiments were discussed on this site a while ago; a sort of consensus emerged that accuracy rather than distance ("whanging") was at a premium, and that the Peruvians (judging from the photos) shot on flat trajectories, which drop off after 50-80 m.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 2:27pm

sounds about right Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #14 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 5:04pm

Its like letting archers shooting at standard targets and then observing that bows shoot only 20-30m 😏

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)