Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
More Bolas Observations (Read 1140 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
More Bolas Observations
Apr 23rd, 2019 at 4:33pm

I've had a bit more time to practice and I've even made some more bolases to test out some different theories.

The white cotton string bolas was originally made with all the cords being hte same length with the same size weights. In testing it, with all the throwing methods it was a bit... underwhelming. I couldn't get as consitent a spin and I feel that was for a few different reasons:
1. With all the weights being the same, there wasn't that same set-up that encourages spin that you get with having one weight being lighter than the others.
2. The cords are a lot thinner and lighter than my original paracord bolas so didn't have as much "heft" in the throw. I kept feeling I was over extending.
3. The weights don't have enough mass to make up for the light cords.

I feel I solved the first problem somewhat by now changing out the one cord to a longer one to make it more like my original bolas but I do feel hevier weights are needed to help with it's performance. I'll try to adapt it in the next fw days once I get more weights.

The second bolas I made was a two weight bolas using leftover weights I couldn't use to make a regular bolas and some paracord, much thinner paracord than I used before. On one end I used one of the heavy lug nuts and the other I used one of the washers. It basically has to be thrown with the lighter washer in hand and the lug nut flying out and gets remarkable distance and spin in this configuration. One problem I'm having is aiming it, it tends to curve to the right and I'll need a lot more practice with it. It has the capability of wrapping fairly well but again I need more practice. One thing I've only tried very briefly without a target (just to see how it flies) is by hold the cord in the middle with both weights flying out. This effectively makes it into a bullet, with both weights mainaining the same positon and travelling really quite far with very little effort. I'm not exactly sure on the mechanics but it flies incredibly well. I'm interested to see how it does against a bolas target but also a solid target. I feel it could really have quite a strong impact.

I haven't had the chance to do any filming but I'll be trying to get some footage up and hopefully have a better tripod so my videos aren't going to be shot from ground level anymore Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: More Bolas Observations
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2019 at 11:27am

After some more practice, I've found this two weight bolas to be fantastic. Now I've dialled in my aim, I hit more often than I miss and I usually get it to wrap round the target. It's really fun and easy to throw.

The cotton string one I've taken apart to use the weights in a paracord three weight bolas but they just aren't heavy enough. I really need to get some lug nuts as they seem to work best in tandem with a washer.

With my new tripod, I should be able to get some pretty good footage so I'll be posting that soon. I'm not sure how popular the bolas is with other members but I've been having a great time testing them out. I will also be doing more slinging outside though. I'm not a complete convert Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - May 7th, 2019 at 9:05pm

Cool stuff!  Definitely looking forward to those videos.  Smiley

What are you using as a target?  I was trying to think of something that could work as a temporary target.  Possibly a dowel with one end sharpened, and then pounded down in the ground.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - May 8th, 2019 at 1:57am

I've been using three sticks balanced together in a pyramid. That way it somewhat simulates multiple legs. It's worked quite well so far although it usually needs resetting after it gets hit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)