Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speed Measurement with Tennis balls (Read 1718 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Speed Measurement with Tennis balls
Apr 20th, 2019 at 3:21pm

https://youtu.be/Czg3VgZftco

Mrjugas had similar results ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJooCQldw0M ) now I wonder if there is a speed limit with tennis balls in the same way there is a max range limit.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Speed Measurement with Tennis balls
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 10:29pm

Nice video.  I always like your videos.  Your throws look so clean.

In regard to the speed limit of a tennis ball, are you referring to a limit when it leaves the sling?  Or something like a terminal velocity that the ball would reach during its flight path when its deceleration starts to level off?

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 3:48am

Thanks man!
I think there is a velocity above which any extra effort is wasted because of steep drag increase.
I 'd like to see someone throw a tennis ball faster than 56m/s or further than 80m.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 9:05pm

How long do your tennis balls last? Mine crack if I hit anything hard with them. I've made a special backstop just to cushion them and make them last a few days because they're $3 each, and they still crack if you throw high and let them hit the ground.

I even had to use a soft target because if they hit the wooden one I had they would split in one or two shots Sad

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 5:29am

I havent been using tennis balls for a while. they last long enough usually lose them rather than break them. best tennis balls are those that tennis clubs throw away because they are free I got once a big bag, it lasted for roughly a year.(before losing or breaking)
if they break from a free fall somethings wrong

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 8:50am

Nice work Sarosh! 
If you wan to take it to the next level, let's measure the kinetic energy stored in the tennis ball as angular momentum and add that rotational energy to your calculations to see how much energy is transferred from the slinger to the ammo.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 8:53am

a wrote on Nov 9th, 2020 at 9:05pm:
How long do your tennis balls last? Mine crack if I hit anything hard with them. I've made a special backstop just to cushion them and make them last a few days because they're $3 each, and they still crack if you throw high and let them hit the ground.

I even had to use a soft target because if they hit the wooden one I had they would split in one or two shots Sad

Sounds like you have some inferior tennis balls.  I don't know what's available in your area, but here in Texas, Walmart sells a pack of 36 pressurized tennis balls for $16... That's about 6x less than what you are paying, and I don't have trouble with them cracking except when my dog eats them.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 9:18am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Nov 11th, 2020 at 8:50am:
Nice work Sarosh!
If you wan to take it to the next level, let's measure the kinetic energy stored in the tennis ball as angular momentum and add that rotational energy to your calculations to see how much energy is transferred from the slinger to the ammo.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/m4tX1kCz-rY?t=240

bottom right 4:01
~6.9Joules

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 12:39pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Nov 11th, 2020 at 8:53am:
Sounds like you have some inferior tennis balls.

I'm mid Pacific Ocean everything is expensive and crap quality from China, I got about 40 of them split. Even with soft backdrop and target we split one a day.

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 10:59pm

Hey has anyone tried solid tennis balls? Like the dog chew toys? They have a range of sizes and are pretty cheap...
Like these https://www.kazoo.com.au/products/puncture-proof-tennis-ball?variant=32174044053...

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 11:03pm

CrazyBrave333 wrote on Nov 11th, 2020 at 10:59pm:
Hey has anyone tried solid tennis balls?

Pressureless tennis balls. They don't have them in my country but they seem better, heavier and won't break. Interested as well in anyone who has used them.

I've been thinking of buying some online, but shipping is expensive and our borders have been closed for 7 months,unsure when they'll open.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 11:51pm

a wrote on Nov 11th, 2020 at 11:03pm:
CrazyBrave333 wrote on Nov 11th, 2020 at 10:59pm:
Hey has anyone tried solid tennis balls?

Pressureless tennis balls. They don't have them in my country but they seem better, heavier and won't break. Interested as well in anyone who has used them.

I've been thinking of buying some online, but shipping is expensive and our borders have been closed for 7 months,unsure when they'll open.

Have you tried the sand-filled balloons yet? If you can't get balloons, any sort of stretchy plastic could work. Wrap it in a bunch of socks. I haven't tried it, but it could work... You might also try flour instead of sand as suggested by Morphy, if you want to keep the weight down, but size up.

John R.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #12 - Nov 13th, 2020 at 2:14am

IronGoober wrote on Nov 12th, 2020 at 11:51pm:
Have you tried the sand-filled balloons yet?

Oh yes, they're excellent. But dangerous for the little kids.

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 12:38am

a wrote on Nov 13th, 2020 at 2:14am:
Oh yes, they're excellent. But dangerous for the little kids.

Try smaller balloons with flower instead of sand and make them 30g instead of 80g+

The flower makes them softer and at 30g they flatten on impact easier making them bearable if hit.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 7:00am

Tennis balls will break if you just haul off and abuse them.
I like em for wall target practice since you can catch em.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick)