joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Compound sling vid
Reply #30 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 10:47am

@
NooneOfConsequence

That's genius!  And I think it could definitely work for a compound sling.  I may need to make a completely new sling to try and incorporate this pouch, but that will be next on the list.  Thanks for posting!  Cheesy

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #31 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 2:17pm

Compound sling revision 3.  This version has the pouch designed by NooneOfConsequence incorporated.  You can see an image of his pouch earlier in this topic.

I made one small change.  To the retention cord that wraps around the projectile while it's in the pouch, I added a small leather tab.  The intention is to create more surface area for the cord when it's pushing the ball out of the pouch.  Here are some images with an orange ball held in the pouch as a projectile:

...  ...

And here is the full sling:

The primary retention cord is paracord.  The secondary retention cord is braided linen.  And the release cord is also braided linen.  The booster-weight is the same thing I used in my previous versions of this sling, it's a plastic ball filled with silicone.  It weighs approximately 130 g.

Now on to the most important thing, how well does it work?  I'm not yet certain, but I think shows promise.  I've only done 6 or 7 throws, which I tried to record, but it's so hot and humid that my phone just quit recording.  I also had the angle wrong, so I wasn't even in the frame for most of the video.  Needless to say I just deleted it and will record another.

I was planning to do another recording right away, but a little rain came through and bumped the humidity up from 100% to what feels like 120%, so I'm not doing it today.  But a video of this thing in action will be coming soon.

The only real feedback I have at this point is that the pouch may not be releasing the ball as cleanly as I would like.  But if that turns out to be the case, I have a few ideas that may help.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #32 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 10:33pm

Very nice!  I noticed on my first few prototypes that the ring pouch works better with just a little slack. If it’s too tight around the ball, you will get inconsistencies in the release.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #33 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 7:33pm

Here is the video of version #3.  There has definitely been some good progress.  The sling in this video is the one pictured in the post above, with the pouch design from NooneOfConsequence.

Some thoughts on this version of the sling.  I like this pouch design much better than the one I was using.  It works using the same concept, to hold the projectile in place until the sling is released.  It just does it way better!  The throws feel much more controlled than the version #2 sling.

That being said, I believe the release of the projectile is still the biggest problem.  I'm going to make one more sling (at least that's the current plan Wink) to incorporate three more pouch adjustments.  One will be to make it with a thicker material so it's a bit stiffer.  The second is to make it just slightly larger so the ball will come out easier.  And the third change will need to wait, because it's a little difficult to explain without picture.  Once the sling is ready, I'll post photos to show what was done.

Check out the video and let me know what you guys think.

https://youtu.be/Ih8IH7gge6g

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #34 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 7:41pm

Oh, almost forgot.  Just to give an idea of distance, most of the throws are in the 20-30 meter range.  Although that's a very rough estimate because I only paced it off.  But as you can see, I'm just kind of lobbing them without much power at all.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #35 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 8:03pm

Nicely done Joe!

What’s the mass ratio for the counter weight versus the ball? And how long is your second stage compared to the first?  I’ll bet we could do some modeling and parameter optimization in the maths section.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2019 at 9:08pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #36 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 10:02pm

Thanks!

The projectile ball is 50g.  The weighted ball is about 135g.  The ball I'm throwing is just a plastic street hockey ball.  I think a golf ball would work better, but I'm still not completely confident that every throw will go forward.  My house is usually behind me or to the side when I'm slinging, and I don't want a golf ball flying toward it at high speed.

The length of the main retention cord from the finger loop to the center of the weighed ball is approximately 54.5 inches (138.4 cm).  Once the sling is laid out, the length from the finger loop to center pouch (with the projectile still loaded) is approximately 74 inches (188 cm).  As the video shows, this thing really wraps you up after a throw.  Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #37 - Oct 30th, 2019 at 10:10pm

Compound sling revision 4.  This is the last one of these for me.  At least until next year. Wink

I've been working on this sling in short bursts for a while.  I had it out for a test, which failed horribly, and had to make an adjustment.  First the pictures, then the story.

Full sling:

Pouch closeup:

The big change between this one and revision three is the pouch.  I'm still using the pouch that NOC designed.  But I switched to a thicker leather than used with previous ones.  I glued in some padding to help hold the projectile in place.  And at the point where the cord passes through the pouch (this is at the top of pouch in the image), I put in an eyelet rather than just having a hole in the leather.  I hope this makes it stronger as well as allowing the cord to pass through the hole more easily.

Now the bad news.  I don't have any video of this sling in action yet.  I mentioned at the beginning that a test had failed.  I'm still using paracord for the primary retention cord.  The secondary retention cord and release cords are shoe laces.  When I first put this sling together I used satin cord.  I thought it would be light and not interfere with the projectile.  It turned out to do nothing but constantly get tangled up.  So I removed that and substituted the shoe laces.  The laces are less stiff in their movement than paracord, so I hope they work okay.

Since the laces have been substituted in I haven't had a chance to try the sling out again.  I'm hoping to be able to this coming weekend.  And as long as things go better than the first attempt, I'll record some throws.  Another update should be coming soon.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #38 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 6:44pm

Lookin good! Can’t wait to see that video.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #39 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 9:37pm

I finally had a chance to do some throwing with the fourth version of my compound sling.  The link is below.

Just a couple thoughts I would like to include.  Regarding the pouch on this sling, it's tricky to balance the tasks.  You need a pouch that will hold the projectile well, but at the same time release it cleanly when it's time.  My latest rendition is working pretty well, but I know it can still be improved upon.  Another note on the pouch, this version was the easiest to load because the leather was stiff and held its shape.  That was definitely an advantage when reloading.

Ultimately I don't think this design (including all the ones I've done) of a compound sling is particularly effective.  It does work, but the original idea (or one of them) was to throw a projectile that is light in weight.  The designs I've used rely on the momentum of the projectile to open the secondary portion of the sling, and then the projectile's weight to pull it free of the pouch.  So something extremely light in weight would be a problem.

I've been using street hockey balls as projectiles, but I think I could throw a longer distance with just a regular sling.  The farthest throw in the video below was around 28 - 30 yards (25.5 - 27.5 meters).  I don't have a precise measurement because I just stepped it off.  A contest between slings will be a video (potentially my last compound sling video) coming soon.  I'm going to run a little competition between regular and compound slings and see what happens.  So stay tuned for that one.

https://youtu.be/veDKQGq1j_I

One last thing to mention, if you missed any of my previous compound sling videos, they're all linked in the video description.  I'm quite amazed how much this sling evolved over 5 months.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #40 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 11:43am

okay - my original ida was to use a VERY heavy primary weight and a relatively short cord. The energy used to get that moving would then be transferred to a small and light secondaty/weight/missile
I was just looking for a way to sling paintballs without dislocating my shoulder.

You seem to have a much too long primary cord and way too light a primary weight.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #41 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 12:52pm

The long primary came about because of a couple things.  The first thing is as you mentioned, the weight I'm using isn't as heavy as I would like it.  With the longer cord the lighter weight can be moving faster and have more energy.  I have an idea to make a heavier one with some lead, but that's on the table for next year.  I do have a concern with getting the weight too heavy though.  Something I've experienced with these slings is after the release the weight has come around and hit me.  So far it's usually just been little bumps on the leg, so not a big deal.

The second reason was to more easily find the point in time to release.  I don't know if everyone will get this analogy, but using this sling is like playing an original Nintendo on a modern flat screen TV.  When the LCD TVs first started coming out, anyone connecting their old Nintendo experienced an input delay.  A button press on the controller was just slightly delayed to the game reacting, so all timing was off.  This sling is kind of like that.  The release time is just a fraction of a second before it is with a normal sling.  It's way easier to get comfortable with the timing with a long slow rotation over a small fast one.

Thanks for the input.  Maybe next year will be a heavier weight, a decrease in overall length, and a decrease in the proportion of the secondary release length.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #42 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 4:19pm

yeah, I never said it would ever work - just trying to sling paintballs.
I think the heavy weight needs to slide, in order to impart energy to the final missile.

There is a video on here somewhere of the original one marius made.
I believe that used  a sliding weight.

Would love to know what happened to him.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #43 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 5:35pm

I agree, I think the sliding weight is a good idea.  I know Sarosh used that in his too.  I ultimately dropped that because I couldn't think of a simple way to do it while still having a one-handed sling.  I'd love to see the video you mentioned.  If anyone comes across it, please post a link.

Maybe before doing another re-design, I'll read through that long original thread again.  Now that I have an idea how things are working, there may be a new inspiration to be found.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #44 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 6:43am

the video should be in my forum backup (reminds me, need to do that again) I'll have a look with a proper viewing program. problem mis most of the videos and images are assigned random numbers for names. So you can't just do a name search.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15)