Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Practice ammo (Read 3221 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Practice ammo
Reply #15 - Aug 3rd, 2021 at 1:44pm

The one I have would be perfect if it just wasn't so bouncy. I've never slung it because I know for a fact I would lose it. It would be perfect for a mould though. It's on the list.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Aug 3rd, 2021 at 4:41pm

Kick, I wonder if after making a mold from those if pure silicone would work? If not that there most be something thats easily attainable that would have the right properties.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Aug 3rd, 2021 at 6:47pm

What should it be good for? For a battle they are too small. Even if they are very light. They fit into an eye. For a training, I have not found anything better than Rusty s. But there are already finished rusty balls to buy. I saw her at Decathlon. Unfortunately, these balls NiGGT have been in lighter weights. You should find on the Internet.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #18 - Aug 3rd, 2021 at 8:00pm

My criteria for an ideal practice projectile:
- overall projectile density equivalent to stone
- stiff enough to not deform on release
- decent bounce (so you only need one ball when throwing at a wall)
- round shape (because they bounce straight back)
- surface should not smooth and not overly grippy
- unbreakable

I think all of these could be achieved with a projectile that has steel ball as a core, a hard rubber layer surrounding the core, and a softer rubber layer that goes to the outside.
In essence I think a heavier golf-ball with less bounce would achieve the same thing.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #19 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 12:19am

Speaking of golf balls...
I properly tried them for the first time today, and they really are a fantastic practice ammo for 70y wall practice. They behave a bit like glandes by practically 'floating' to the target, they weigh the same as glans (45g), and you only need one of them. With a 24" balearic it bounces all the way to my feet.
Golf balls are abundant and cheap, designed to fly long distances, highly visible, and practically indestructible.
Only real downside is that they're not good for beginners or close range. (unless you like limbo-dodging and/or bruises)

Roses are red,
violets are blue,
love golf balls!
For they fly true.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 10:23am

lol dunno about golf balls flying true.

I can put a 90 degree angle on a golfball throw.

Get enough spin on the buggers and they will curve better than a boomerang !

And you're right about not being close up ammo. Seriously bouncy !

But cheap and easy to get.
I've got bags of them scattereed about.

I do have a design for a no-spin pouch that i keep meaning to try at golfball size.

But impressed that you can get them to fly straight !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 3:08pm

I want to try some cricket balls(as they are called here) made for distance throwing practice with hand, they are very cheap and easily available here and right sort of size and weight for slinging(I found them ranging from 100g to 250g and being 1-2 bucks  each)

I think those will fly just like clay balls and would be great for target practice and even some distance slinging.

I don't know why I didn't think about this earlier. We used them a lot in school during p.e. classes when throwing for distance. If we will do it this year again I will bring my sling with me and show that I can throw the furthest with a bit of braided string Grin Cheesy

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 4:39am

Shocked Shocked

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #23 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 9:52pm

That looks awesome Jaegoor!

Ive been looking at all different chew toys for dogs - they are made durable and usually have decent weight... including mini tennis balls with solid core...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)