Social Justice Cringe (Read 2593 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Social Justice Cringe
Mar 10th, 2019 at 12:27am

Alright; recently I did a "Mock Legistlature" project for my government class which I proposed making amendments to bow season and accordingly change the name to "Primitive Season."

And then there's this person of a special type, because she dared to say "hunting is a ridiculous sport" in a Montana classroom. Oh but no, it doesn't end there...

I was accused of cultural appropriation of Native Americans, because some well meaning idiot (as I like to categorize these people) thought that natives are primitive and that ancient hunting tools used by most of humanity were only used or should only ever be used by them. Not to mention she thinks reservations make these laws legal. Huh

In other words she basically thought slinging, spear throwing, or atlatl use, especially for hunting is racist. Not only that, but somehow that these tools have spiritual significance. I don't even... Undecided

First off, piss off for demeaning natives like that, saying only they can use "primitive things" because they're natives, second you are a special kind of stupid if you don't know how popular these things were among our ancestors.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Re: Social Justice Cringe
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 3:42am

We have a very apt four-letter word to describe these types of people In Australia, which is in our common parlance and is not too offensive to us, but which is very, very offensive in other regions of the world. We'd also add another epithet ontop of this four-letter word. And it would be completely accurate.

People who feel the need to interject or 'defend' another person because of the colour of their skin, or for their gender or cultural identity etcetera... might have well meaning intentions... But god damn it, let them speak up for themselves, they certainly don't need you to drag them into stuff they don't want to be dragged into. People may have good intentions when they do this... but they take it way, way, way too far. To the point of extremism.

If a Native-american were present, they'd probably back you up in a second, and said other person's mind would probably begin to fry from some form of mental overload.

After all, said theoretical Native-american would probably object to being called 'Primative', in a bemeaning manner by some young female who obviously has little knowledge on the subject on which she is speaking... being spoken to as though "Oh its okay primative, I've got your back. You couldn't do anything without us to help you!" Blah-blah-blah. Grin

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 6:01am

The social justice stuff drives me insane. This story makes me twitch.
I'll stop there before I go on a rant no one wants to hear.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 6:09am

People can have these opinions, but they should be thoroughly reminded that everyone else has the right to disregard them as idiotic  Wink

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 6:10am

I hate this because it really helps out those people that are against treating everyone decently as human beings because they can take this ridciulous stuff and say "See! Look how crazy and ridiculous these people are!" It actively harms the people they are wanting to help. It's not even a "pick your battles" situation it's a "what the EXPLETIVE are you talking about?" situation.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 1:17pm

bet they are vegans Smiley

Best just to pity them and move on whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 10:46pm

At what point did “cultural appropriation“ become such a bad thing anyway?  The national anthem here in the US was written to the tune of a common English drinking song at a time when we were at war with England! How’s THAT for cultural appropriation?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 3:24am

Certain types of people use 'Cultural appropriation' to win debates.

To these sorts of people (Which are generally referred to as SJW or Social Justice Warriors), shouting "Cultural Appropriation" is essentially the Racism-lite card which you pull out on your opponent which you disagree with but cannot call them a racist yet. Cultural Appropriation generally has all the same connotations... which is very discouraging to their opposition, because if they offer protest to the label, they can then be called Rascist.

Which Is very, very sad. Because now adults go around insulting teenagers over their 'Culturally inspired' Prom dresses on the internet... pretty much to the point that fully grown adults said "You can't wear that, you're not chinese!"

Ahem. Double standards. Also racist.

The logic of these people. Angry

You might be happy to know, A lot of Chinese people didn't mind that said 'White' teenager in a prom dress didn't insult them. A lot were actually happy about it.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 11:48am

That only works if you accept the false premise that all cultural appropriation is bad. Deny the premise and the argument fails.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 4:33pm

Such people have good intentions but they take things to ridiculous, impractical extremes.  They are well meaning arses.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 4:40pm

vegans - just sayin' whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 4:54am

Vegans you say , the people who eat plants but don't want any creature they deem an animal to die, hmmm wonder how they do it .. sharing all their plants with animals that they buy from the convenience store while wearing synthetics and plant fiber clothes from third world countries and posting about it on a social media account from a phone with exotic minerals in it to make it work.. No animals die you say??? Can't See them being associated with irrational thinking , ha ha

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 8:15am

Agreed. Vegetarians are awesome.

Vegans. Just say no. No to Vegans.

And Peta.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 2:10pm

got nothing against treating animals ethically.
Doesn't mean you can't eat them - just don't do horrible things to them first.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 3:57pm

to anacreaon in heaven we sing in full glee

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)