Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For sale: Big batch of glandes! (Read 4967 times)
TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
For sale: Big batch of glandes!
Jan 22nd, 2019 at 4:32am

Having made a big batch of glandes recently, I have found myself in the position of having 'too much' and so I have decided to sell off the excess.

I have twenty-eight glandes for sale, to be bought in one batch. Each glande will be going for around $2 Aud, so the price will roughly be $56 Aud. Please note that this is the price Without factoring in shipping, which I expect will vary. Please PM me for shipping details and contact information et cetera.

I think that this price is reasonable, the bullets that used to be sold from Kult of Athena some years back were priced at $11.95 for Three (Based on wayback machine capture from April 20th of 2014), with each projectile weighing around 56 grams. Based on this alone, they charged almost twice my asking price per projectile ($2 versus $3.98). Here, you are getting twenty-four glandes that are roughly within the ~40-50 gram region, with most being about 42 grams, as well as a four others glandes from another batch, one of which weights over 100 grams. Two of them are inscribed, one says Feri or Strike in Latin and the other says Orcus, An obscure Latin/Italian god of the underworld, a name which I felt like inscribing because Orcs are awesome and I can imagine an orc throwing these things, so Orcus it is!

Most of my glandes are within ~40-50 gram range. Some projectiles will have both points sharp, while others will have one side sharper than the other, whilst some are mostly round at the tips. There may be some glandes with more mis-alignment than the others from the moulds being slightly misplaced, but they are not very noticeable, and several of them have sprue-projections that have been hammered to shape. There are no inscriptions. All bullets were cast from a pine mould with roof flashing, so they are almost pure lead in composition. Overall I'd say they are not exactly the pinnacle of glandes design, but their rough appearance lends them a certain 'air' to them, which I like. They certainly seem 'hand-made' to me.

Overall, these projectiles should work quite well. I have already managed throws exceeding 200 metres with some of their relatives, so I am quite happy with them!

Even if you don't sling, I am sure that having a bunch of them around to show to audiences at re-enactment events or similar would be great as an educational aide. Just make sure you don't let strangers touch them for long periods of time.

Please feel free to PM me or to leave a message down below if you are interested in buying. Let me know if you want to buy ten or all of them.

I have also made an offer over at https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/showthread.php?tid=31000&pid=348314#pid348314 where I am selling several other batches of my glandes.

If you would like, I would be willing to pair all my batches together to create a total sale of fourty-eight glandes, which I would be willing to price at $1.50 Aud per projectile (Rather than $2), making the price about $72 Aud, rather than $96. Just PM me either here or on Roman Army Talk if you would like to do so.

This is an image of the two batches on offer over on Roman Army Talk, not the one here, but this is what most of the glandes look like.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: For sale: Big batch of glandes!
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 5:05am

I might be interested and heading up to Perth this week , I'll see my funds and keep you posted !

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 5:56am

Mersa wrote on Jan 22nd, 2019 at 5:05am:
I might be interested and heading up to Perth this week , I'll see my funds and keep you posted !

Let me know if you want everthing combined together or if you just want twenty-eight. I also live around 40 mins from Perth, so If you want to murder the postage fee and stop by for a trade and maybe a chat, let me know. I will also be willing to drop a few free bullets in.

In the nearish future (Around May-June, when you can have outdoor fires legally again) I may be making more glandes, so If you want any personalized, custom-made glandes, let me know, I would be happy to make them.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 6:39am

very cool looking glandes.

what sort of mould do you use ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 7:43am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 22nd, 2019 at 6:39am:
very cool looking glandes.

what sort of mould do you use ? 

Thank you, I tried to get them as close to historical glandes as I could, all without ever touching them or seeing them in person, and based solely from what I see from museum galleries.

For the mould, I used Pine planks. Using U and V-shaped chisels I carved out the inside to make the indentation where the bullets will be cast from and then I carved out a sprue, doing this twice. I have three mould's in total, all of them are made from pine planks, with different shapes and depths, some of them with inscriptions. However most of the glandes for sale actually come from my largest mould, which is capable of making twenty-eight glandes at once, while the others can only make about four at a time, or one. Here are some images to help illustrate the difference!

These are the projectiles that came from my first mould. I can only make one projectile at a time with that mould.

Here are the projectiles that came from my second mould, the image captured as they came straight from the mould before removing the sprues and hammering the edges.

This is what came out of my third mould. I didn't have enough lead to completely fill the last four glandes on the top row, which is not unsurprising given that it requires over one kilogram of lead in each pour.

It is not too surprising that I have my hands on a looooooot of projectiles!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2019 at 10:31am

wooden moulds ?

Never though of that - roughly how many pours do you get from a wooden mould ?
Do they get scorched ?

Guess you could use rotary tool to carve the decorations and words.
Very impressed Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2019 at 11:55am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 23rd, 2019 at 10:31am:
wooden moulds ?

Never though of that - roughly how many pours do you get from a wooden mould ?
Do they get scorched ?

Guess you could use rotary tool to carve the decorations and words.
Very impressed Thumbs Up

Actually, I don't know how many pours I can get out of my moulds. None of them have died yet!

Yes, they get scorched when you pour the lead in, but it doesn't seem to be all that detrimental. Scorched pine scent isn't all that bad, either.  Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2019 at 7:00am

the first ones from your first mould don't look like they'd fly straight or spin.

the rest look pretty good Thumbs Up

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2019 at 7:11am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 24th, 2019 at 7:00am:
the first ones from your first mould don't look like they'd fly straight or spin.

the rest look pretty good Thumbs Up

Those are based on slingstone finds from Spain I believe that are hexagonal in shape and somewhat flat. I haven't slung one yet because I have an aversion to slinging them because I am afraid of losing one and don't want some kiddies to find my rude insults!  Tongue

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 7:26am

makes you wonder if they were sling missiles, could have been a form of currency.
Or tokens for something.

The ancient spanish slingers knew what they were doing - can't see tham deliberately going to the effort of making sling bullets that don't fly straight.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 9:29am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 29th, 2019 at 7:26am:
makes you wonder if they were sling missiles, could have been a form of currency.
Or tokens for something.

The ancient spanish slingers knew what they were doing - can't see tham deliberately going to the effort of making sling bullets that don't fly straight.

Alternatively, I could have stuffed the dimensions up. After all, I am basing these off of museum images and I have not held the real things in my hand. Perhaps they were more rounded rather than flat, I dont know.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 9:31am

Well, It seems that It wasn't just me with the weird shaped projectiles. Seems that some Ancient Greeks thought to make similar projectiles as well. The projectile is 30mm long and weighs 27.19 grams, with an inscription that says AMIO, not sure what that means.

I'm thinking that they might have used a one-faced mould, just by how flat the back looks.

I found it here: https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/london_ancient_coins/89/product/greek_lead_elli...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)