Send Topic Print
My Woes Continue (Read 2477 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
My Woes Continue
Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:56pm

I was on a really good roll.  I had been dieting since late February and lifting weights since mid July along with daily dog walking and bowling.  On November 5th my knee began malfunctioning for no apparent reason.  Then of course my bowel obstruction in December.  The week in the hospital had an unexpected benefit.  From being off of my feet my knee started to feel a little better.  I was going to bowl last Sunday for the first time in weeks and on Monday I planned to take Pandora to the off leash park for the first time since late October.
    Sunday afternoon roomie Mike's two daughters were over so we decided to group walk the dogs.  I ended up with Pandora who is the worst on group walks.  She was being bad and pulling a lot.  When we got to the edge of the woods there was a patch of very slippery mud.  Pandora pulled again causing my right leg to very quickly slip forward. As my body followed, my left leg ended up underneath me with my left foot bend completely backwards hyper extending my already questionable left knee. 
    I'm hoping it will heal and I can postpone that inevitable knee replacement for a few more years.  I'm pretty badly hobbled right now and can't bend my left knee much. 
    I was on such a good roll. I actually felt like I was cheating old age a bit.  Not so much now.  I'll bounce back though. It's what I do.  Though Pandora was on my poop list for most of Sunday I have forgiven her.  She's always been an ass. She can't help it.

PandySm_001.JPG (88 KB | 59 )
PandySm_001.JPG

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: My Woes Continue
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 8:55am

you need to get a halti/halty

Basically it slips over the end of their muzzles and gives you control of their head.

What i find with people with huskies and malamutes is they use a body harness - thus letting the dog have the maximum ability to pull and you the least amount of control over them .

Pretty much all our dogs use a head control device of one make or another.
https://www.amazon.com/Company-Animals-Collar-Adjustable-Training/dp/B00EQ3423I/...
Think dream has  a gentle leader and phoebe has something a little different. https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Gentle-Leader-Collar-Training/dp/B00074L4W2/ref=p...
Dogs adjust pretty quickly, and it's amazing how much difference it makes. 
They both just slip easily over the head and muzzle, seconds to remove and fit.
Wouldn't be without them now Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 9:18pm

It might be worth a try, c_a.  I get stubborn and keep trying training methods that have always worked for me in the past.  The Huskies are 4 1/2 and I'm making no apparent progress so it might be time to try something different. It's frustrating. My last two packs were both made up of big, strong dogs and I was able to group walk them with very little difficulty.  These guys are thick headed.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2019 at 10:27am

haltis work regardless of how good the dog is.
Phoebe walks fantastically on the lead - but if a squirrel, cat, leaf etc were to cross the road in front of her, without the halti we'd be dragged into the road after her Smiley
She's 80lb lurcher/rottweiler cross. Very strong.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 7:35pm

I had to drop my car off a the shop this morning for inspection so I ended up walking home.  The walk was a little over a half a mile I guess.  There was a little pain and stiffness in my knee but it wasn't too bad.  Right now it feels none the worse.  That's a good sign. I'll probably start walking the beasts again in the next few days.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 4:06pm

I am bored out of my mind.  I haven't been able to walk the dogs for almost a month now and I've been replaced on my bowling team at least for the time being. 
  The good news is that my knee is continuing to slowly recover.  Once this snow melts in the next few days I'm going to attempt to renew the dog walking. I'll keep the walks reasonable and on level ground at first. Normally I wouldn't let snow stop me but I'm very much afraid of slipping and undoing a month of healing. So the beasts will have to wait another day or two.  They're going to love getting their walks back, especially when I've recovered enough to take them to the off leash park. In the meantime we're all sick of looking at each other. Getting out again will be great.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 4:41am

Hope you have a speedy recovery but yeah good idea not to push it. That's the thing that sucks about recovery it can sometimes literally be one step forward two (or more) steps back.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 11:02am

well as someone who spent the whole summer with a torn thigh muscle - you got my sympathy.
Mind you I only stopped walking for about a week. Worked out that I could tolerate driving if I sat on a couple of cushions to change the angle of my leg. That way I could drive the dogs to the top of pit lane and hobble round really slowly while they did their own thing.

Just couldn't walk fast enough for walking them on the leads.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 11:42pm

This morning I walked Pandora. She is extremely intelligent. I believe she knows she hurt me. She hardly pulled at all. Anyway the walk was about a mile... maybe a little less. I didn't want to push it of course. The knee was no worse after the walk. I'll probably walk Max tomorrow. I still can't bend the knee completely and it aches to some degree most of the time but limited walking doesn't seem to bother it so at least now I can get a little exercise and the dogs can have a change of scenery.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:02am

A torn meniscus kept me out or the woods for two years Sad

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 2:51pm

Quote:
I still can't bend the knee completely and it aches to some degree most of the time

welcome to my world Smiley
Both my kness are on the way out. The above describes normality for me.

I can't walk down stairs with a straight leg any more. Angle my feet sideways and it's not too bad, but neither knee will do stairs in  straight line, without a fair bit of pain and the feeling that they're about to break completely..

face it, knees are just a lousy design Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 1:20pm

Backs too.  I walked the dogs five of the last six days.  As long as I stick to level ground distance doesn't seem to be much of a problem.  I hope to be able to bowl again some time this Spring.  We'll see. I might have to change my form some... not open my shoulder as much and go for a straighter approach.  Again, we'll see.  I'd hate to have to give up bowling completely.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus)