Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Twisted-cord Woven Split-Pouch Sling [Photo-Heavy] (Read 2098 times)
cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Twisted-cord Woven Split-Pouch Sling [Photo-Heavy]
Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:25am

Hi everyone,
I'm a big fan of braided, split pouch slings. But, they take forever to make -- my last one probably took 15 hours of braiding (but the retention and release cords are each 8 strands). So, I decided to try reverse-twisting the cords to speed up construction, and I'm super happy with the result.

Here's the final product:
I haven't yet measured it, but I guesstimate it's about 38" long. I'm 6' tall, and the sling is longer than I am tall when it's unfolded. Despite its size, it took maybe 2 hours to make. At least 30 minutes of that was untangling a total mess from careless cord management. I haven't gotten a chance to test it out yet (like most of my slings, it was built late at night), but I did document the construction. I'll reproduce it below:

Cut 3 pieces of twine longer than you think you'll need. I used 5 wingspans, about 30', of cheap sisal bailing twine for each piece.

Find the middle, and secure with a small knot:

Organize all the excess twine:

Begin braiding the finger loop with a simple 3-strand braid:

Test for size on your preferred retention finger:

Remove the marker from the middle of the twine, and bring the two ends of the finger loop together:

Secure the two ends together with a wall knot. Be careful not to over-tighten and pull the braid in funky ways:

Organize the strands into two groups of three, and begin reverse-twisting them together. I use my hands to get it started:

I then switch to leg-rolling because it's much, much faster than doing it by hand (and I got blisters on my finger from hand twisting like 15' of cordage earlier today).

Once the retention cord is the desired length, I stop twisting and separate the strands:

Tie another wall knot to keep the retention cord together and provide a better transition to the pouch:

Separate the strands by side. On one side, pick two strands and pull them tight. Weave with the third strand to begin making the pouch:

When the side of the pouch reaches your desired length, stop weaving and weave the other side:

Bring the ends together and secure with -- another wall knot! :p (I'm a fan of them.) If you over-tighten, it's easy-ish to screw up the weaving, so be careful.

Separate the strands into two groups of three:

Begin reverse-twisting them together. Again, I start with my fingers here, then switch to leg-rolling.

When I finish the release cord, I tie... another wall knot to secure the end and to prepare for the release knot. I also cut off all the excess (maybe 4-6' from each cord).

See how the wall knot makes them come out level? It's perfect to set it up for a great securing/release knot: the Matthew Walker knot. I've never, ever had success with whipping to hold the end of a sling together -- it always came lose eventually. But, I've had fantastic success with knots -- especially the Matthew Walker knot. I left a little space between it and the wall knot to provide a bit of a divot to grab (so it's not exactly a release knot).

I tied another Matthew Walker knot at the end to help keep the sling's tassel from fraying all the way down to the release knot. I haven't had problems with that before, but it can't hurt to be careful.

I hope you like this construction guide/log. I think the sling came out quite excellent looking, especially considering how fast it was to make! While it's not quite as sophisticated-looking as a good braided sling, it's not ugly either. It's certainly easier to make.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Twisted-cord Woven Split-Pouch Sling [Photo-Heavy]
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 7:01am

Looks good! Does it have any twist to it?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 9:22am

Nice!
about the twisted cords what kick said: does it have any twist? does the orientation of the pouch change under stress?
that is why I use braid.
cpman wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:25am:
15 hours of braiding (but the retention and release cords are each 8 strands)

that is why I don't use so many strands , I don't get it . other than looks what else does it provide?

3 strand braid slings take 1-4hours to make depending on length and quality ( how meticulous i am).

IP Logged

Samuel
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

León, Spain
Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 10:03am

Nice! I'll try eventually with the reverse-twisting. But for sure I'll add the wall knot to my braided slings and give a try to the Matthew Walker knot.

Thanks!

IP Logged

cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 1:24pm

Sarosh wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 9:22am:
Nice!
about the twisted cords what kick said: does it have any twist? does the orientation of the pouch change under stress?
that is why I use braid.
cpman wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:25am:
15 hours of braiding (but the retention and release cords are each 8 strands)

that is why I don't use so many strands , I don't get it . other than looks what else does it provide?

3 strand braid slings take 1-4hours to make depending on length and quality ( how meticulous i am).

Now that I’ve tested it, I can solidly say that it’s a really nice sling. I had absolutely no twisting issues — the closest to that that I had was before one of my 40+ shots I took, there was a half twist (easily fixed by passing the release cord around the retention cord). The release is really clean and quick and it’s really easy to get a feel for whatever I throw. The pouch is also nice and grippy — it can hold rocks smaller than a ping pong ball, but also pretty big ones nice and securely. Even doing helicopter, I was getting decent accuracy for a sling I’ve never used (and I throw fig-8 85% or more of the time).

I mostly use the extra strands for weaving and or braiding in the pouch. I’ve never really found a satisfactory way to add additional strings if I want a woven pouch, so I do them from the start. Also, 3 strand braids are usually flat, but when you have more strands, it’s easy to change the cross section (so you can do a flat finger loop and pouch, but round cords). I probably could’ve done a 4 strand round braid instead of an 8 strand square one, but I also like the look with more strands.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 5:00pm

Cool to hear. I do like braiding for the relaxing aspect but yeah... It does take quite a while...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 12:20am

I am a big fan of round braids because of the opposing twisted pairs that maintain a balance. If you coil your sling up and stick it in a pocket though, you may still get a bias.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)