Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leather Fletchings (Read 2490 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Leather Fletchings
Dec 10th, 2018 at 3:17pm

I'm soon going to be upgrading the kestros darts I've made and, as well as actually adding points, I want to make some better fletchings as the duct tape ones are really pretty terrible. I've seen that historically for plumbata and for crossbow bolts, leather was used and I think this would be a good option. The problem I have is that I don't really understand how they were attached. It looks to be just glue but I feel that's just going to instantly fall off. I have thought a combination of glue and stitching them down but I'm still not sure as it seems it would be a difficult and time-consuming process.

What do you guys think? Should I go with leather, something else or does anyone have any tips on how to effectively do duct tape fletching without messing it up multiple times?

Another thing is how many fletching do people think I should go with? 2? 3? 4?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: Leather Fletchings
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 6:00pm

It’s a bit of work for this idea, but you could carve grooves to put each one into then glue them. Or you could cut 2 slots in it to make a + shape (if looking at the rod from top down) slots and wedge some wooden ones into it, one being slightly smaller and the other with a slot for it to go through. I feel like the second idea would be better explained by a picture, excuse my drawing. Although since the second fletching would have to be smaller that might impact performance, so you could just break that one in half and glue it to the inside. Sorry if this was confusing, just took a final and basically wrote 2 papers, my brain is mush.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 2:39am

That's ok I think I get it Cheesy I had thought about cutting slots but I feel like, with my inadequate set-up and poor sawing skills, this is a recipe for disaster. There isn't much margin for error. I might try gluing and ssewing them down but I'll be needing more time to get it done than I have right now. Looks like a New Year project. For now the duct tape ones are just about servicable but I still would want better.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 11:48am

get a rotary tool with flexible shaft. Make groove cutting a doddle Smiley
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Rotary-Flexi-shaft-Accessory-Compatible/dp/B01N...

stick it on your christmas list Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 12:21pm

I have been considering getting one but I also don't have much of a workshop to use one in. The thing I would probably need most is a work bench.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 7:48am

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-68027-Fold-Portable-Workbench/dp/B01194NI2W/ref=...

folds flat when not in use.
Come on, this is what christmas is for Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 8:19am

Well that one is free delivery in the UK not to Finland. That's kind of the problem. Everything is more expensive in Finland. I think I'm getting some money from various family so I'll put it into that. Though I also need new running shoes (doing a half-marathon next year...).

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 7:04am

cheap folding work benches can be had at ALL hardware stores, car boot sales and just about any decent second hand store or charity shop.

You must have shops in finland ? 

why on earth would you want to run a half marathon ?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 7:25am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 7:04am:
why on earth would you want to run a half marathon ?

I'm quickly forgetting exacctly why I've subjected myself to it but it's happening.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 10:47am

Careful of those work benches, I've managed to break a couple by trying to tighten down the top to hold something.  They're good for light work and the clamping top can come in handy but it's not a vice, you can't clamp an a piece of wood and rasp on it without it coming loose.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 2:31pm

I have an idea:) do you do Instagram or anything? I could make a very easy and quick video for it

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 2:46pm

my maye bought a second hand top of the range black and decker work bench.
Was missing all the plugs and a couple of handles - so I just printed them.

If you can't design your own - loads on thingiverse Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 6:33pm

"I have an idea:) do you do Instagram or anything? I could make a very easy and quick video for it"
(Phone won't quote)

My girlfriend has Instagram so I could find posts through her account. I have Twitter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)