Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cesta punta / Jai alai ¿A sling's cousin? (Read 1623 times)
Samuel
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

León, Spain
Cesta punta / Jai alai ¿A sling's cousin?
Nov 27th, 2018 at 5:49am

Hi everyone, I’ve being wandering lately the origin of this Basque sport. I would like to know if it originated as a tool/weapon like the sling or just as a sport during the modern era. I can picture ancient Basques in the mountains using it like the sling.

It looks pretty “slingish” to me. Apparently the ball gets 200-300 kph, which is not bad at all (add a stone and you have an effective weapon). It’s call also Jai Alai and it has been played mainly in Spain, France, Mexico and the USA (Florida).

Here a video in English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNbehASCLMw

¿What do you think?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Cesta punta / Jai alai ¿A sling's cousin?
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 8:12am

I found this website but it seems a bit self-contradictory and doesn't seem all that scholarly. That being said, it seems to be suggesting that it more evolved from other ball and wall games played in the Basque region which makes sense. I would guess the cestra evolved later for tha game as the games became more competitive. The website says it was played just by hand, played with gloves and then with the cestra which would make sense. It certainly could be effective as a weapon but I think it might be like a golf club. Sure you can use it as a weapon and it could be a very effective weapon but it wasn't designed for that and so people didnt think to use it like that. It is incredible how fast you can throw balls with them. I think it's telling that the website has a seperate section for "Common Injuries" Cheesy

https://thesportofjaialai.weebly.com/history.html

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 8:15am

This should teach me to look at more than just the first link Cheesy This is a much better website and yeah it seems the cesta (chistera) evolved for the game rather than from an earlier tool.

http://www.fla-gaming.com/history.htm

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Samuel
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

León, Spain
Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 4:59am

Well, yeah, in all websites I’ve researched they only talk about the sport and never say anything about it being used as a tool/weapon, still I would love to find a proper research paper on the topic. Maybe nobody evaluated the topic from this approach because they focused only in the sport part. But I think you are right and not big chances of the “cesta” being broadly used as a weapon. Maybe in some riots.

Here you can see a most hilarious video from a movie from the 50’s, the real craziness begins around minute 5:40 LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZG7VC9QYuQ

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 7:38am

Well at least someone considered it as a weapon Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 11:10am

in one of the modesty blaise books - willie garvin uses a cesta to throw an improvised grenade.

In another he uses a bra as an improvised sling.

Willie garvin is one of my fictional heroes Smiley 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)