Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Salutations from the Upstate of South Carolina (Read 5722 times)
Curious Novice
Tiro

Slinging: Getting the
most bang for you buck

South Carolina
Salutations from the Upstate of South Carolina
Oct 15th, 2018 at 9:15am

Hi everyone,

It is nice being able to post now. I am a university student in the upstate who likes to sling when there is spare time. Besides actually slinging, I also really enjoy the history and physics of slinging. I am definitely looking forward to learning from everyone on here.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Salutations from the Upstate of South Carolina
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 9:17am

Welcome from Finland!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 9:30am

Welcome to the forum! I’m also attending college, however I can’t find anywhere to sling. But then again we have a gym but I’m afraid to try there, and I don’t drive so I’m very limited on where I can go. Where do you go to sling? Also if you don’t mind, could we get a few pics to see some of your slings? It’s always nice to see what others make.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Curious Novice
Tiro

most bang for you buck

South Carolina
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 9:44am

Well. On campus I used to sling at the campus pond, until they drained it this semester. I also have gone slinging at the athletic fields when no-one is around to get hit.

Otherwise, I sling at trees in my backyard. I have to be really careful there, though, because it is only a half acre. No windows are broken yet, but ricochets can be pretty hair-raising.

As far as my sling goes, it isn’t anything too fancy. It is made of two pieces of 50 lb parachord attached to a piece of corduroy that I sewed into a simple pouch. My current one is getting holes in it now, since it has been in use for a bit over a year now, so I will need to make a new one. I can take a picture a bit later for you, and hopefully post a picture of the new one when it is completed.

IP Logged

Curious Novice
Tiro

most bang for you buck

South Carolina
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 1:57pm

Here is my current sling. New pouch likely coming soon.

....and the photo got messed up. Let me see if I can get a better shot.

Well, that has the perspective correct. Let’s try to shrink the file size.

Alright. Here is a workable photo. As you can see, the fabric wears out after a while. However, to increase longevity I made some seams on the side to slow fraying.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 1:19am

That sling looks like it belongs in the wasteland of a nuclear apocalypse, you probably weren’t going for that but it looks cool. I recommend leather, way more durable than most fabrics. Also, over time the leather conforms to the sort of ammo you’ve been using.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 2:04am

It does look pretty Mad Max Cheesy Yeah I suggest leather or woven paracord.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Novice
Tiro

most bang for you buck

South Carolina
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 7:41am

Yeah, I mostly went for this particular design because it was cheap, since I had all the materials on hand, and it was quick to construct. It has served surprisingly well, considering how little effort it took to make. I even took it with me to Europe last summer and slung snowballs in the Alps.

I might try my hand at making a woven paracord sling, but I am not quite certain how much the extra weight on the pouch end would effect the slinging characteristics.

What weight of paracord would you recommend for making a woven sling?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 7:58am

I haven't actually made a paracord one but I recently made a woven pouch sling using some mystery cord. It does make it pouch heavy but the good thing with woven pouches is that they an hold anything and will almost never wear out. I'm soon getting a delivery of paracord so I'll be trying out some woven pouches pretty soon.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 8:44am

I used 500 on this one. Great for 4oz+ ammo.
The hemp sling is lighter and (I think) better for lighter ammo.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 8:16pm

Howdy from Texas!  You can get a ton of scrap leather for a few dollars at Hobby Lobby. That’s where I get mine when I’m not cutting up old leather boots.

If you’re really interested in the physics of slinging, I could use another person on the trebuchet-as-test-bed bandwagon. I had grand plans for trebuchets to do apples-apples sling comparisons before my wife got pregnant with kid #3. You have no idea what “when I have time“ means until you try to take on an unfunded, independent R&D project while raising small children, keeping up a day job, and running an e-commerce business in whatever time is left.   Grin

Welcome to the forum!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 10:08am

Drakolith wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 9:30am:
Welcome to the forum! I’m also attending college, however I can’t find anywhere to sling. But then again we have a gym but I’m afraid to try there, and I don’t drive so I’m very limited on where I can go. Where do you go to sling? Also if you don’t mind, could we get a few pics to see some of your slings? It’s always nice to see what others make.

have you watched jaegoors videos ??
He slings in a gym all the time.

Use tennis balls or sockballs, hang a target on the wall and have at it.
Actually sockballs are best as they don't richochet as much as tennis balls and fly a little straighter. 

10 gets you 1 you'll get a bunch of people wanting to do it as well.
Start a slinging club.
Found the north american college slinging league, run for president of the college sports council.
Become president of the American national sports council.
Front an advertising campaign advocating slinging for health, become a nationally known personality.
Then run for president of the united states ! (lets face it, these days ANYONE can be elected).
Use the united states nuclear threat against the IOC and declare slinging a true olympic sport - or else !

Invite your old mate CA to join your cabinet as head of the government additive manufacturing technologies department.

And all that, just because you asked someone if you could sling rolled up socks in the gym Smiley

The land of opportunity indeed Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 10:13am

curious novice - send me your address.
That has to be rattiest sling I've ever seen !

I think we can do better whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Novice
Tiro

most bang for you buck

South Carolina
Reply #13 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 11:54am

Oh yes, my sling definitely looks pathetic  Grin

I am not comfortable sending out my address yet at this point. However, rest assured, I will be improving my sling design based on all your suggestions. I may have a little time next week to work on one. I have several different thicknesses of paracord to experiment with, so hopefully we can get some good results. I will post pictures so you can critique them.

I will also have to check out the leather at Hobby Lobby, per Wesley’s suggestion. I have noticed some pretty neat designs for leather pouches here on the forum.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #14 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 5:35pm

That’s quite a progression CA  Grin. I actually was thinking of maybe trying to start a slinging club... but... I’m not the most outgoing person in the world and haven’t really ever lead something like a club in real life. Also there isn’t much space for slinging here, other than the gym which isn’t exactly owned by the college I’m attending. I have watched his videos, I just assumed he knew the owner well or something. I also feel like I’d have to ask the manager or something before doing it, but I’d have no idea how to go about asking someone to do something so unusual in their gym.

Yeah I’d recommend hobby lobby as well. I get all my leather from there.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)