Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Greetings From Michigan, USA (Read 3635 times)
Worldwalker
Tiro

So Many Slings, Only Two
Hands.

Michigan, USA
Greetings From Michigan, USA
Sep 28th, 2018 at 3:21pm

Hello all, I am a new member of the forum but I have been lurking here since 2010. I am glad to make your acquaintances.

I made my first sling from some scrap leather and leather thongs back in 1994, and that day put a rock right through my parents' bedroom window. I kept slinging, but with a greater respect for the sling's power and potiential. That sling ultimately broke off at the finger loop ,and I watched it sail into the middle of a lake and disappear forever.

After that I made slings from shoelaces, leather, and paracord and a white handkerchief. Since discovering slinging.org, I have made slings following the tutorials here out of woven paracord, an Apache style from tarred bank line and pigskin, and more variants on the Rockman than I care to admit.

I do not have pictures of my slings yet, but once I do I will post them here on the forum.

Thank you all for your contributions over the years, and I am proud to finally be a forum member.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: Greetings From Michigan, USA
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 6:30pm

Welcome! Also, after breaking their window they still let you sling? Wow.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 11:22pm

Greetings from oz

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 6:07am

Welcome from Finland!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 10:53am

Welcome from Texas. We started slinging at around the same year. Those were dangerous times for my neighborhood windows as well. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 12:00am

Welcome!
What part of Michigan are you in?  I occasionally travel to there for work. I carry a rock in my pocket almost every day that I picked up near Gaylord earlier this year.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Oscar H Marble
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 8:26am

Welcome, I too am new here and also from Michigan. I have never used a sling, but it is a skill that I would like to learn for a shtf scenario

IP Logged

Worldwalker
Tiro

So Many Slings, Only Two
Hands.

Michigan, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 11:51am

Drakolith wrote on Sep 28th, 2018 at 6:30pm:
Welcome! Also, after breaking their window they still let you sling? Wow.

I was so crushed and obviously sorry that they weren't mad at all, they just had me clean up and asked me to be more careful. I have good parents in that regard, they were okay with me doing my own thing.

IP Logged

Worldwalker
Tiro

So Many Slings, Only Two
Hands.

Michigan, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 11:53am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 30th, 2018 at 12:00am:
Welcome!
What part of Michigan are you in?  I occasionally travel to there for work. I carry a rock in my pocket almost every day that I picked up near Gaylord earlier this year.

I live northwest of Detroit, in far-western Oakland County. If you are ever in the area, let me know and we'll put some local rocks to good use.  Wink

IP Logged

Worldwalker
Tiro

So Many Slings, Only Two
Hands.

Michigan, USA
Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 11:57am

Oscar H Marble wrote on Oct 1st, 2018 at 8:26am:
Welcome, I too am new here and also from Michigan. I have never used a sling, but it is a skill that I would like to learn for a shtf scenario

The tutorials on this site are great for first-time sling making. Pick one that you are comfortable with, and go for it. Michigan has lots of ideal slinging stones just waiting to be hurled.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 8:33pm

Worldwalker wrote on Oct 2nd, 2018 at 11:53am:
Welcome!

I live northwest of Detroit, in far-western Oakland County. If you are ever in the area, let me know and we'll put some local rocks to good use.  Wink

As a matter of fact, I just got roped into a meeting later this week in Detroit, but it’s way over on the east side of town.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Worldwalker
Tiro

So Many Slings, Only Two
Hands.

Michigan, USA
Reply #11 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 11:51pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Oct 2nd, 2018 at 8:33pm:
Welcome!

As a matter of fact, I just got roped into a meeting later this week in Detroit, but it’s way over on the east side of town.

That is about an hour's drive from me. If you think you have the time to spare, let me know. Michigan has some pretty nice, smooth, perfect-for-slinging rocks.  Cool

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 12:43am

Worldwalker wrote on Oct 2nd, 2018 at 11:51pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Oct 2nd, 2018 at 8:33pm:
Welcome!

That is about an hour's drive from me. If you think you have the time to spare, let me know. Michigan has some pretty nice, smooth, perfect-for-slinging rocks.  Cool

There’s  not enough time for a 2-hour round trip this time. I fly in after 7 tomorrow, sit in a meeting all day and hit the airport at 5AM Friday, but I’ll be back again.

IP Logged

Worldwalker
Tiro

So Many Slings, Only Two
Hands.

Michigan, USA
Reply #13 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 2:02pm

Worldwalker wrote on Oct 2nd, 2018 at 11:57am:
Oscar H Marble wrote on Oct 1st, 2018 at 8:26am:

The tutorials on this site are great for first-time sling making. Pick one that you are comfortable with, and go for it. Michigan has lots of ideal slinging stones just waiting to be hurled.

Oscar H Marble, what area of Michigan do you live in? I live in northwest Oakland county, and would be glad to make you a sling to send to you so you can try one out. If interested, PM me.

IP Logged

Worldwalker
Tiro

So Many Slings, Only Two
Hands.

Michigan, USA
Reply #14 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 10:30am

Here are some sling pictures. Both of these are Rockman slings.

The bottom sling is the first Rockman I made. It was made according to Rockman's instructions. It works great, and I often used it for slinging wild apples from the trees by our back porch into the woodland area behind our back yard. It is around 27 inches from center-pouch to the end of the finger loop.

The top sling is one that I made myself for Father's day 2018. It is also a Rockman, but uses green and plain jute twine. It has an 8-strand fishtail braid on the retention cord, and an 8-strand round braid on the release cord that tapers to a 7, 6, 5, then 4-strand round braid an few inches before the release knot. This is definitely the best-looking sling I have made. The pouch is 4 strands wide in the warp, and is wide enough to hold larger projectiles securely, like tennis balls or large rocks. It is around 26 inches from center-pouch to the end of the finger loop.

*Edit: Picture size & typos.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)