ECEB.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Weird insects
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 3:31pm

The Hummingbird Moth is probably the weirdest insect I ever saw.  Years ago my dad and I saw one marked exactly like a bee, like the one in the video.  For five minutes we stared at it and couldn't decide if it was a Hummingbird or a large bee, possibly a queen.  We were both wrong. Years later, after Dad had passed, I read about the Hummingbird Moth. Essentially what we had was a Moth imitating a bird imitating a bee.  Amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdyape_1Js8

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 4:21pm

We actually have a colony of Argentinean cockroaches (and some woodlice and springtails as a clean-up crew) and they aren't particularly weird to look at but watching them is fascinating. I've come to the conclusion they are the guinea pigs of the insect world. They trundle about, are terrible at climbing, aren't all that smart, are always looking for something to snack on and I have no idea how they survive in the wild.

One thing about them that really makes me question how they've managed to survive for so long is that they are experts at drowning themselves. I had already heard about this so didn't provide them with a water dish and instead just made sure they got lots of fruits on a little plastic tray so they still got moisture.

A few babies managed to drown in some pooled orange juice on the tray. Less than a mm deep. They live in a rainforest! Boggles my mind. I still kind of think they are adorable even if they are as thick as two short planks.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2018 at 3:29am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 11:45pm

The assassin bug!  I see them in my yard from time to time. Nasty little suckers were the inspiration for the brain sucking bug in Starship Troopers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduviidae

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 6:16pm

rhino beetle

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 8:07pm

cicada has made its exit by splitting open the back of its exoskeleton

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 8:17pm

I've told this story before but one time my wife and I were at a river in the Dallas area and the cicads were so loud we were having to yell at each other just to hear each other. It was awesome.

I have some pics of butterflies from the museum, when I find them Ill post them.

Walter, is this one of your interests? Insects?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 9:19pm

all natural things in creation. plants, animals, fish, reptiles, insects, birds, agriculture, pastoralism, nomadism... you get the picture. my SO and I practiced semi nomadism for at least six years using goats (the symbol of anarchy) and plants for our main source of sustenance.
what works well today, in the west is agriculture, hunting/gathering, pastoralism and semi nomadism.
just saying  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 6:44am

Kick wrote on Sep 2nd, 2018 at 4:21pm:
We actually have a colony of Argentinean cockroaches (and some woodlice and springtails as a clean-up crew) and they aren't particularly weird to look at but watching them is fascinating. I've come to the conclusion they are the guinea pigs of the insect world. They trundle about, are terrible at climbing, aren't all that smart, are always looking for something to snack on and I have no idea how they survive in the wild.

One thing about them that really makes me question how they've managed to survive for so long is that they are experts at drowning themselves. I had already heard about this so didn't provide them with a water dish and instead just made sure they got lots of fruits on a little plastic tray so they still got moisture.

A few babies managed to drown in some pooled orange juice on the tray. Less than a mm deep. They live in a rainforest! Boggles my mind. I still kind of think they are adorable even if they are as thick as two short planks.

Woodlice, or potato bugs do have one really weird feature, gills. If you can flip them over, you see a white, spongy attatchment on their rear. Those are the gills. This is why they have to stay in moist soil. The gills have to be wet in order to work

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 9:19am

My phone camera doesn't do these pics justice. They were a lot prettier in person. Especially the second one.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 6:22pm

This big guy is the Stag Beetle.  We used to find them all the time in Jersey when I was a kid.  I guess they're still around but I don't see them as much now.  As long as you pick them up from the back they are harmless.  They are huge.

stag.JPG (28 KB | 90 )
stag.JPG

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 9:20pm

Don't have a clue

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 1:21pm

walter wrote on Sep 16th, 2018 at 9:20pm:
Don't have a clue

"I'll take creatures that attacked the Enterprise for $500 Alex."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)