Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Sling lenth and distance (Read 9247 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Sling lenth and distance
Aug 14th, 2018 at 5:19am

Obvious, really-- but here goes. I was slinging with with go-to sling, a simple knotted affair made with thick laundry line (PJ sling without woven pouch); length: finger-tip to just beyond elbow. After some target shooting (23m), I took some pot shots at a tree about 63m away (distance estimated using range-finder on phone). Alignment was good (at first, before I got annoyed), but distance was consistently short. Ammo was irregular rocks (cliff-fall), about golfball sized. Technique was overhead, one rotation.

So I took a few more shots using my older slings (jute, thin braided cords, small woven pouch; length: fingertip to near shoulder), with helicopter style (three overhead rotations to build up speed and tension, then, ideally, well-timed release to avoid slack problems). I consistently overshot the tree, sometimes hit the foliage, and more often got orientation problems.

So: sling length matters; thickness of cords matters; ammo matters (irregularly-shaped ammo leads to rapid drop at the end).

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Sling lenth and distance
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 7:15am

well, yes Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 8:03am

Of course, everyone knows this. But to experience the extreme limit of distance with a given sling length, and the sudden drop of ammo, is still striking.

In a way this is a good exercise for technique. Can I, within this setup (shots fall consistently about 5m short), work up technique to improve distance ? Watch this space.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 8:25am

How about elasticity of cords? I enjoy making wool slings but they definitely don't feel as good as paracord or inelastic natural plant fiber cords do. There is a marked difference for me at least in control.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 8:42am

Thearos wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 5:19am:
I consistently overshot the tree, sometimes hit the foliage, and more often got orientation problems.

what kind of orientation problems?

i don't exactly get the conclusion you made. you changed style , sling material and technique and got different results. what should we expect?(i'm curious here, don't misunderstand me )
high drag ammo will lead to rapid drop at the end.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:26am

Hello Mr Sarosh

Orientation problems: with the short, "target" sling, I find aligning the shot on target not too difficult. With the longer sling, i get a wider spread of shot.

It's the same style, btw (overhead rotations). With the short sling, the sling is tense almost immediately so multi-rotations are a waste of time and energy. With the long sling, you actually need two-three rotations to build up speed (the issue then is starting the release sequence right to avoid slack).

Simple point: longer sling-- lots more power

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 12:02pm

mind you, even with a short sling you should be able to get 63m fairly easily.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 12:35pm

Thearos wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:26am:
Simple point: longer sling-- lots more power

i ll disagree with that. it's relevant.

i have this idea: for more speed use a sling just a little longer from what you are used to.

if it is too long compared to what you use regularly then you won't be coordinated.

(*but yes if you want to add energy to the throw bigger stone and longer sling is always a solution. the extreme would be pirouette style or hammer throwing.)

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 12:56pm

I agree with C_A, you should be able to get to 63m with your length.  Pick a "Hold Over" spot above where you want to hit.

I don't think you have a problem with form because you are hitting in line, I think you need to reprogram the organic ballistic computer.  I think you have been practicing at a certain range for so long that you automatically hold for whatever range you normally practice at, no matter how far the target actually is from you.

And different shaped rocks probably isn't helping but it shouldn't hurt that much at that range.  Except the more it buzzes, the further left or right you'll miss.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 1:51pm

Try slinging without a target. Just go for "as far as possible". Best pick a direction but no more than that. That way you bypass those problems.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:33pm

For me sling length dictates at what weight projectile I begin to noticeably slow down, within reason.. I find shorter slings throw lighter projectiles really fast actually. Especially with light thin cords and pouch.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 5:50pm

Forgive me for being pig-headed. I have a feeling that with the short sling, 63m is just beyond my capacities right now. I am aiming high (45 degrees) and slinging hard, and the shots feel right (though I'd have to film myself to see if I'm slacking on release), and the stones are the right size (when I shoot target, at 23 m, I sometimes overshoot if I don't dial it back a little).

I'm going to practice and see if I can improve my form. I might put in a little more body rotation (i.e. start looking away from the target but still aim at 45 degrees).

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #12 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 5:53pm

The weird thing for me is I don't think I got noticeably more range from a 45'' than from a 32-35'', however I can throw projectiles about twice as heavy for the same distance using a 45''. I guess it's a power improvement of sorts...

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 4:07am

That's very interesting, actually. I might experiment with that too (two clotheslines slings, 50 cm and 1 m, and shoot with different weights)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:07am

video would be good.

A pure helicopter throw lacks power, but even with that if you use the rest of your body properly you can get more distance.

Distance throwing isn't all baout how hard you can throw with your arm, but a lot more about whole body technique.

have you tried balearic or sidearm ?
Done right that tends to get best distance for minimum effort.

Or even the 'byzantine' Which is essentiall a single rotation over head throw. But has a lot more power than helicopter.

target and distance slinging isn't all about sling length and missiloe weight, but far more about different sling styles suitable for different purposes.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)