Send Topic Print
Chronograph (Read 3647 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Chronograph
Aug 13th, 2018 at 6:27am

So as I understand there are none or very little records of chronographs being used to measure sling projectiles with actual slingers.
As a group can we get this done??!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Chronograph
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 8:07am

I've heard of people using audacity and radar guns. But Chronies would be nice for a good release velocity. Only problem I foresee is the high likelihood of destruction. Maybe cut out some sort of shield for the actual machine?

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 1:59pm

This seems like a great project for the "Here Be Maths" section. And, with pre-weighed projectiles, we can clear up a lot of information on the effects of sling length, performance, and possible ranges of performance.

But I agree with Morphy: Those things are expensive, and would likely get damaged. Plus, their measured area is really small, which requires a precise throw to get it measured.

Some careful engineering and pursuit is at hand here, and I'd be glad to help in any way I can. Just let me know.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 7:37pm

They aren't really expensive and a shield would be rather easy to build.  You can get an inexpensive one for a lot less than a phone or I pad.

The main problem will be the window, it's actually rather small.  And you will have to have the shades for it to work properly.  So, you would have to throw through a port in the shield for it to work. 

So, we'd need a really super accurate slinger, who can throw at full power and not get squirrely with his accuracy when he does so.

This actually sounds like a job for Timpa.   Grin

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:48am

Same idea I had a window to shoot though so we don't go smashing the chronograph  first shot . Maybe I can talk my archery buddies into buying and sharing one.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 12:58pm

MidwayUSA had an inexpensive model, last time I checked.  And it will record arrows.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 12:33am

The poor man’s version would be two pieces of tissue paper held tight and spaced a known distance apart. Record audio and you can calculate speed from the time between each paper sound as the projectile breaks through the papers. No need for a chrony at all Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 6:47am

goth dave has a chrono.

Dunno if he's posted any videos of it in use.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 7:45am

https://youtu.be/BrtBc-9pQv4

Perhaps a set up like this? You could also measure rotational speed while your at it by painting the glande black and white as well. You wouldn't need a super expensive camera at sling speeds.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 10:41am

@Morphy that's the way i do it. but there might be errors.
wait until weekend. i'm making a video with speed measurements by camera frames.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 11:22am

Sarosh wrote on Aug 16th, 2018 at 10:41am:
@Morphy that's the way i do it. but there might be errors.
wait until weekend. i'm making a video with speed measurements by camera frames.

What kind of camera are you using?

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 11:36am

720p 30fps the same you see in the videos i've uploaded.
hopefully i will find a phone with more fps in the future.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 6:55pm

Yeah I've thought about setting up distance markers and using audio or video to analyse it but I really want a chrony so it's there for everyone to see , sling projectiles can go ...... ?? Fps.
I've looked into the price and there around the 200 mark in Australia. Pout of reach for now but maybe possible later this year .

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 9:03pm

I like the board and side camera idea. I'll have to try to set something similar up in future as well. Right now, I just don't have anywhere to do it.

I'm starting a new thread in the "Here Be Maths" section for your speed recordings and using what method. I'll create a similar Google Form to the one I've done for target results and we can compile some decent statistics from that over time.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the results in future!

(Also, when I create my regular slinging club in Northern NY/Southern VT, I'll be regularly uploading such results and I'll have both standard targets and a speed rig like the one described above. I'll let you know when that's established.)

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Dawesome21

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 2:31pm

I discovered this nice program lately that I used to clock a golf ball from a sling.  https://physlets.org/tracker/ ; I just set a stationary side camera and used the golf ball's diameter itself as the reference distance -- this might not have been the best idea, but it gave me a reasonable number -- about 85 fps I think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy)