Send Topic Print
Slinging As Exercise (Read 3402 times)
Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Slinging As Exercise
Aug 5th, 2018 at 12:04pm

I added slinging a dozen or so rocks as part of my exercise routine, along with walking, stretching and swinging a stick (good for rehabbing sore muscles from slinging, also a good way to loosen up before slinging and cooling down after slinging). 

I measured the accumulated steps for the slinging and stick swinging portion on my Apple Health app (part of every iPhone).  417 steps total slinging pirouette style.

Does anyone else sling for exercise?  Have you considered adding slinging as part of your exercise routine?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Slinging As Exercise
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 12:43pm

I'm sort of like you except without the stick swinging part.  I go to the river and clamber over, around and through stuff to get to a spot that has a gravel bed.  It's about 2 miles down the river, (5 Km), there are various muddy spots that may require climbing up a bluff to get around, all in all, a pretty good work out. 

I also been known to carry a fishing rod and cast for largemouth bass, spotted bass, salt water striped bass, white bass and hybrids.  I've also caught catfish and bream on a lure while doing this.

If I really want a work out, I carry four buckets.  There's some good clay just past the start of the gravel bed that makes great pots and glandes.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 12:48pm

When I use stones (unless I'm just at some beach somewhere) I use the same ones over and over so have to go walk around and pick them up and the same for when I use tennis balls so I would imagine a walk a fair amount in even an hour long practice session. I've been meaning to get a pedometer for ages mostly to see how much I walk at work as a carer (I'm sure I walk multiple kilometers a day. Apparently the rough walking pace is 5 km/h and I work an 8 hour shift and almost the whole time it seems I'm walking up and down the same stretch of corridor Cheesy ).

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 1:17pm

i've turned my transportation to the slinging place into exercise : farmers walk for 30min w/6kg on the left arm.
in the past years i liked to do some running in the river bed (dry). i was amazed how fast i can run on such terrain without hurting myself.

before slinging i do some long tossing and sometimes i do heavy stone throwing, imagine discus throwing with half rotation, this can be a very heavy exercise.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 1:33pm

I used to do a lot of walking/slinging when I lived near a large expanse of land for hiking, slinging etc. It's great excercise and the only kind I never have to push myself to do.

I remember one time meeting two guys who were asking about a swimming hole that was located somewhere in the general area. I agreed to show them and we proceeded to walk a ways to get there. They made a comment about getting a bit winded from the walk and I realized at that point how many miles I must have been walking on those hikes without even thinking about it. At some point I got into decent cardiovascular shape without even knowing it. Hiking is still my favorite way to excercise. It never gets boring.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 12:45am

I sling to exercise my dog, but not me. I suppose you could call it exercise if you really want to, but I get more exercise from going up and down stairs in my house than slinging.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 10:01am

I've done some pretty tough hiking prior to slinging, I would say that is the best exercise to go along side.

Doing sprints and slinging wouldn't be bad either but I'm not quite on that level yet.  Wink

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2020 at 7:39pm

I sling for exercise. I was looking for a solution for what I thought was the beginning of RSI with shooting pains in wrist and forearm. I tried a few things that helped a little bit.

Then actually by accident when talking to my sons about David and Goliath I made a sling to show them what it was and how to use one. They instantly got interested so I took them slinging everyday that week. Then I noticed my wrist and forearm problems had totally cleared up and they have never returned.

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 7:03pm

Until recently I was not exerting much energy when slinging.  But now that I have gotten all of  my body parts to work in the correct order I am finding that I am sweating up a storm after 100 throws or so.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, LightSlinger)