Send Topic Print
Making an Atlatl (Read 4359 times)
cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Making an Atlatl
Jul 30th, 2018 at 4:28pm

I’d like to learn how to use an atlatl, so I decided to try making one. I got a new knife for my birthday, so I cut a piece of yaupon and started turning it into one.

I need to finish cleaning off the wood and to shape the little knob that the darts sit on.

Do y’all have any tips for making/using one?
Thanks!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Making an Atlatl
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 8:25pm

Cut a small groove on the front to fit the dart. I actually just had mine out today, showing my new neighbor

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 10:09pm

Bills given me some good advice on atlatls in the past. Wish I could remember it now to pass it on. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. 

What do you plan on using for darts?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 4:47am

Wrap the end in strin to stop to wood grain from splitting

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 4:50am

Atlatls have come up a few times in the forum. If you search around you'll find a lot of information. I've made an atlatl but have never got around to making the darts Cheesy I've tested it with a very rough dart which was basically a long pointy stick and it worked alright. I feel atlatls are easy to make, hard to perfect.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2020 at 3:28pm by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 10:45am

Rub it down with cooking oil to stop it from cracking.  Vegetable or animal based is fine.

Do you have access to river cane or bamboo?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 8:54am

Lot of different styles on the net. Pick one or combine several. This stick was laying on my driveway.  It is a little too short , but I had fun carving it Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 5:39pm

I do have easy access to bamboo: I could probably even be paid to take it out :p

I did wrap the ends in jute to keep it from splitting. I’ve got to do some more detail work and to really get off two little knobs of dry rot where old branches were attached (the rot hasn’t progressed at all, though). I’m then going to finish those details, then finish it — probably with mineral oil — then rebind the ends.

I went out today to do some preliminary testing — the first “dart” was the stem of something called frostweed. It broke immediately — the force was far too much. I then walked out to a bamboo grove and scouted for a skinny, standing piece that was dead. I didn’t want to bring out a saw if it didn’t work, which is why I was looking for a dead one. Unfortunately, most were too big (2” around), but I did find a few dead stalks about 7’ long of the right width and cleaned off the branches.

I threw them a couple times and holy cow! Even without a point or flights, they flew beautifully straight and fast. IDK how far they would’ve gone (because of stuff around me), but even without much effort, they were going 15m or so before hitting stuff. It was also way easier to aim than I thought it’d be. I’m not all that good at throwing stuff, so I’m also impressed with how far they went. I also really like the little knob at the handle end — it helps line the thing up. It makes a perfect pocket for my thumb.

I’m really, really excited to finish this and make some quality darts for it.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2018 at 6:40pm by cpman »  

IP Logged

cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 11:38am

Well, the atlatl is done and treated with mineral oil. It took like 20 coats, but it should last longer now. The twine wrapping wasn’t a good idea — it came loose the first throw even though it was tied on very tightly with constrictor hitches...

I also discovered that standing, dead bamboo is not a good dart shaft. I was trying to tune a piece, and on the 4th throw, there was a sickening snap and two pieces of bamboo were thrown forward...

I guess I’ll have to cut some living culms to make the darts.

IP Logged

cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 5:32pm

This is getting annoying. I've now snapped 3 pieces of bamboo while trying to tune them. 2 were alive and dried until they were light, and one was the dead one I mentioned. Any idea why? I  attached a frame from a video I took showing the issue -- see the break?

Also, I think the bamboo I'm using is too wide for the spur on this atlatl -- from my iPhone videos, it seems to be slipping off early.

IMG_4247.PNG (280 KB | 58 )
IMG_4247.PNG

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 3:34am

Maybe thinner pieces would be more flexible. It does seems they are just too stiff to withstand the force so go much thinner would be my suggestion. I think if you went thicker that would also work but then you end up with heavier darts.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 10:39am

Either too thin or not actually bamboo. Bamboo is used in arrows which have a much greater degree of acceleration. I can't understand how you could be breaking it. A too thick dart won't flex enough based on my limited understanding and should fly upwards I believe. If it's extremely narrow it might flex too much and break but it would have to be really, really weak for bamboo to break.

Someone put an APB out for Bill.

IP Logged

cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 12:53pm

It’s definitey bamboo, and it’s not all that thin either. This “snap” was one of one of the  internodes breaking — here are some pictures.

Could this be caused by improper drying? To let it dry, I just leaned it up against my house in the shade, with all the branches/leaves cut off until it wasn’t heavy anymore. But, it’s been ~100°F in the afternoons.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 2:52pm

There's lots of different species of bamboo and cane. Maybe it's a mechanical issue but it could also very well be an issue with that species. Either it naturally grows very thin sidewalls or some other issues.

Bamboo can be bent with heat or tempered without losing a serious amount of strength and that is a much higher heat than 100 degrees so I would say it's unlikely heat is the culprit.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 4:49pm

OK, I use river cane, which is in the bamboo family.  River cane dies after three years, it gets denser and thicker walls as it ages.  At a guess, you used bamboo that is too young and the side walls are too thin.

Second guess is that the bamboo is still too green.  I put my river cane on the barn roof in the sun, I rotate it every couple of days until it's yellow.  That takes about two weeks down here in Alabama in the summer.

Third guess, you're putting too much of a "snap" in your throw.  Think pushing the point at the target instead of throwing it.  Is your Atlatl flexing as you throw?

I make Atlatls' out of the same piece of cane that I make the dart out of.  The base section and about three nodes, depending on length, the remainder of the shoot is the dart. 

You are launching the large end as the point?  Your dart should be your height or a little more, if your Atlatl is rigid, you will need a shorter and thicker dart.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)