Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Music Round-Robin (Read 35215 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Music Round-Robin
Reply #30 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 3:19pm

Does anyone not like Weird Al?  I used to Listen to him on cassette tapes Smiley
Also... They Might Be Giants

The most entertaining back-to-back TMBG songs (the second one corrects errors in the first):

« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:41pm by Curious Aardvark »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #31 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 4:29pm

Wow spot on... Musically you are like a twin to my older brother. They Might be Giants was one I remember he liked. Cake was one of his favorites as well.

Now if you tell me you like the Dumb and Dumber soundtrack I'll be really spooked.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #32 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:41pm

weird al was fun.

When it's as hot as it is in the uk at the moment I like a bit of chuck berry:

And of course the eponymous Mungo Jerry with: In The Summertime.
Possibly too politically incorrect to be played much these days.
'have a drink, have a drive go out and see what you can find' etc Smiley

Mind you I'm still mostly just playing wall to wall battle beast Smiley

Noora louhimo just has the most perfect voice and attacking approach to metal since bruce dickenson.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #33 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 3:01pm

I think I know something you might like Morphy that's maybe a bit similar to Soma.

https://youtu.be/jih29bmwOSY

Melvins are my favourite band and I firmly believe everyone on the planet can find at least one song they like of theirs. They've covered so many different styles, it's impossible to not like something. The song above is a little... dark. It's kind of a happy little tune with super dark lyrics that then goes very psychadelic...

"I cut the throat of a billy goat and let it bleed,
His frozen eyes were far more than I,
It's kind of nice,
To know the things that make me happy,
Just realize,
Keep the dog away from me..."

So pretty dark...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #34 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 3:28pm

This song is quite possibly my favourite song ever. It's certainly the best cover of a song ever produced. The original version is the theme tune to the old 70's British sitcom Are You Being Served?, a thoroughly camp silly comedy set in a department store.

Coil covered the theme and... transformed it. They took a comedy shows opening theme listing the floors of a department store and elevated it to this hauntingly beautiful, angelic piece. The juxtaposition of this stupid theme tune with their treatment of it and the fact one of Coil's members, Johnn Balance, died before it was released, is just... incredible. It's absurd and wonderful and sad and... the lyrics are just listing shopping departments but sounds like the choir announcing your arrival in heaven. I love it. I'm going to have it at my funeral.

Original: https://youtu.be/BaboGNp0crs

Coil's Going Up: https://youtu.be/ztdatfUEW94

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #35 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 7:06pm

Kick wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 3:01pm:
I think I know something you might like Morphy that's maybe a bit similar to Soma.

https://youtu.be/jih29bmwOSY

Melvins are my favourite band and I firmly believe everyone on the planet can find at least one song they like of theirs. They've covered so many different styles, it's impossible to not like something. The song above is a little... dark. It's kind of a happy little tune with super dark lyrics that then goes very psychadelic...

"I cut the throat of a billy goat and let it bleed,
His frozen eyes were far more than I,
It's kind of nice,
To know the things that make me happy,
Just realize,
Keep the dog away from me..."

So pretty dark...

That was good. The psychedelic part was nice as well. They should make a longer version with more of that.  Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #36 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:19am

Morphy wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 7:06pm:
The psychedelic part was nice as well.

Talking of psychedelia... Cover of Hendrix by Psychic TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgI6CMdlHM0

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #37 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 2:42pm

Never heard of them, that's a pretty good song.

Here's one of the great rock classics of all time Imo.

https://youtu.be/0fAQhSRLQnM

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #38 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 2:58pm

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #39 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:48am

Now that is seriously old school.  Grin

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #40 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:12pm

https://youtu.be/1-LxmdxHEFg

Can’t say I am on board with RAGE glorifying communists in the music video, but it’s a catchy song Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2018 at 3:21pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #41 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 4:14pm

Nothing wrong with a little RATM. I sometimes have to separate myself from the message and just enjoy the tune.

My daughter (who is 9) and I will play Minecraft battlemode with robot skins to Daft Punk. She's really into techno, electronic, new wave etc. That's my girl. She can hold her own on battle mode. Makes me wonder how many people realize they just got killed by a 9 year old girl.  Grin

https://youtu.be/GDpmVUEjagg

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #42 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 4:22pm

that coil thing - yeah. No words. Really not into instrumentals.
How on earth can you tell it's from the theme tune ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #43 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 1:54am

Same lyrics and same tune but slowed down Cheesy It's not for everyone but Coil really can hit me deep if in in the right mood.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #44 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 6:41am

might not have been able to stand it long enough to get to any lyrics lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man)