Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Update on my move/ log cabin build. (Read 48083 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Update on my move/ log cabin build.
Reply #45 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 4:52pm

O I know, lol.  I will definitely be posting more pics, and at some point making videos

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #46 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 5:04pm

Here  are a few pids of whats been going on. I had to put in a mailbox. I used my "silky big boy saw" to cut a log.  Used a draw knife to shave the bark. I dug down 2 1/2feet and placed it in. I gotta carry the firearm, for moose and bear. Plus for people. Since some can be pretty stupid, and try dumb things. The camper is where we are staying, that's 300 ft from the road. The canvas tent is from "Davis tent and awning". It's 15x18ft, with a 6 ft awning. I DO have a special woodstove for it as well.  It's mostly for storage right now. Then I made a nice fire pit, got it ready for some cooking when it stops raining and if we have guests. I have a nice cast. Iron cooking set. Dutch ovens, skillets.  A coffee percolator. The roasting spit we will be trying soon, one pic of me doing some early morning squirrel hunting at the neighbors. Damn red squirrel is get into everything. I apologize for somer of the pics, my gf doesn't take good pics, I did take the non blurry ones. Lol.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #47 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 5:39pm

That looks great Vetryan. Are you using those logs for your house? Are you cutting all your own logs for it?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #48 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 7:37pm

Thanks Morphy, yes I will be using most of those logs, and cutting down more to build.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #49 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 1:37am

Ok... I’m confused. That looks like a suppressor on your hunting rifle there, but it doesn’t look like a big enough suppressor to effectively suppress any caliber that can take down a moose.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #50 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 5:14am

It is a suppressor, but it's for a 22 cal. I was hunting squirrel

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #51 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 8:24am

That makes a lot more sense! You mentioned firearms for moose and bear defense right before talking about squirrels, but I can’t think of any gun that would do both except a shotgun, and that’s definitely not a shotgun Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #52 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 10:04am

I suppose a .45 is better than nothing for moose but I usually carry a .357 Magnum with hard cast bullets in hand loads when I'm pig trapping.  I wanted something that would hit a 300 pound pig between the eyes and come out under his tail.   Grin

I've never hunted for moose, my father grew up in Alaska in the '20's and '30's, way before it was all that settled, he carried a .357 for moose and blackies.  Oddly enough, he didn't worry all that much about grizzlies.  He considered black bears as dangerous vermin that had some good meat and fat.  He worried about us kids running into a moose.

I can remember going for family outings at the Matanuska Glacier Park and everybody we met were carrying firearms.  It didn't raise an eyebrow at the time.  Most were carrying rifles, there were a lot of envious looks at my father's pistol.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #53 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:47pm

The piic of me with the 22,I was camping on the neighbors land waiting to close on mine.he is a firearm dealer he gets all kind of toys. The 45cal i edc, its a 911 military issue,  my dad passed down to me. Its at least 30 years old. I carry it, because he passed all his guns to me. He has no use for it.its mostly just to scare the moose.if I was single, I would have gone to Alaska. That was my dream.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #54 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 8:32pm

Well drillers parked their rig here today, will be drilling tomorrow., Jolene looked interested in the trucks.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #55 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:48pm

did you dowse the well site?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #56 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:56pm

I used to give people a hard time about dowsing. One of my roommates grew up in the country and swore up and down it worked. I tried it once for kicks. It was such spectacular and improbable success I never tried again but was a bit more open minded thereafter.

I second the dowsing question. Also, how much is the well going to cost you? (My bad if you've already said it, too lazy to go and read the whole thread again.)

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #57 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 6:09am

I did not, not sure if the driller will either. I do know that some well drillers will use the dowse rod.up in this area. But we have a lot of underground water in my area,  so it might not be necessary.  Will be paying roughly $3k. He is the cheapest,  as well as one of the most honest ones around. He came highly recommended from multiple neighbors in my town.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #58 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 6:04pm

The well got finished yesterday, 220 ft drilled. About average in the area. 5 gallons per minute, I am not too happy with that. But nothing I can do.gonna be a whole before I can get a pump been pricing those out. Then I have too pump 1000 gallons. Before I can send in a sample to test the water.   The dogs were very curious. I have a video of the truck in action on my Instagram

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #59 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 7:16pm

We just had snow 3 in total 2 days ago. My Amish made tiny home is finished and will be delivered next week. My winter home. We also just adopted a 3rd dog today. Well still hasn't been fixed, just got the parts yesterday. So that a project for this weekend.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)