Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
Update on my move/ log cabin build. (Read 48525 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Update on my move/ log cabin build.
Reply #345 - Jun 30th, 2022 at 6:15pm

Yes, I have a property  across the street from me, it's been vacant for a few years. Iam good friends with the owner. He gave me permission to use it, and the other day we went over and cleaned it up. I just gotta put an electric fence up. Which will be done next week, just waiting for some parts.

From what I have researched,  they usually do, but it's mostly when they are trained like a horse. With miles, the training is alot different. Special methods and such. With the winter I have gotten tips on the stable I am using from the owner, he had a horse years ago and gave me some pointers. The worst part will be me having  to pump the water by hand.

They are also used as livestock guardians if needed, they've known to kill coyotes.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #346 - Aug 11th, 2022 at 12:08pm

Well here she is, a 16 month old Molly mule. We named her Maple. We got ther on the 3rd of August,  even though it was supposed to be a month earlier. But nothing can be done. She was on her way to  slaughterhouse in Mexico. A equine rescue pulled her out. Her adoption fee a d transportation cost was alot. Haha. It was supposed to be my money for a new car, nut5she will be getting trained to be that transportation.  So we have been bonding, I already got kicked, but thankfully it wasnt hard, and I think she was going for bugs.  She has lots of scars, and bald patches. I will be setting up a vet appointment soon.  I am gonna start training her soon, just with basics, as I am learning it myself.  I never trained a mule or any equine before. She follows me around d the yard, almost like a dog. Haha

https://youtu.be/RW8KFwzSPtc

https://youtu.be/_6yI5z6mO2U

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #347 - Aug 12th, 2022 at 7:46am

Beautiful.  Congrats.  Any idea how old she is?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #348 - Aug 12th, 2022 at 5:26pm

Thank you. She is 16months old, and no history from the original owners, I dont have experience with equine this young, so it's a learning curve.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #349 - Aug 13th, 2022 at 11:29am

Obviously she's been abused.  I'm glad she'll have a good home now.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #350 - Aug 13th, 2022 at 6:02pm

Yeh. I think she was, I am gonna make a vet appointment next week for her, she had one it Tx, but it was just a health certificate to be able to leave the state for travel.  She is a bit jumpy if moving too fast, and around her head.  But other then that, she has been very sweet.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #351 - Aug 16th, 2022 at 6:18am

She'll soon be looking healthy, all equines are long term investment, so just take it slow.

Mules tend to be brighter than horses, so a similar approach to a rescued dog ought to work, slow and steady.
She should still have some growing to do right ?
But given she didn't exactly have the best start in life, might not grow much.
She's definitely fallen on her feet Smiley

Good luck. -)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #352 - Aug 16th, 2022 at 7:21pm

Thanks, so far she has been doing very good, she comes up to me for attention, I usually got treats for her, but I gotta stop before she gets carried away, lol. She really likes to use me as a scratching post. She is already really smart, and gets really excited to see me.  She is still growing till about 3 years old, u cant ride her until then. Also I heave read she can still be growing till almost 10 years old. Lots of different information,  so it's a toss up of what's gonna happen. But she will need an ultrasound on her knees to make sure a bons is completely closed and done. Thier life expectancy is almost 30 years, and I have heard of people working them till almost 25years old

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #353 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 7:46am

never heard if mules being ridden.

Guess you could.
But like all bright animals, having something to do they can think about is better.

So work rather than ride, would definitely be my aim.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #354 - Aug 21st, 2022 at 8:06am

Yes, mules are actually better to ride in the back country,  they are more 'sure footed'then horses. Alot of old time cowboys perfer mules over horses. U need a special saddle for them, as the body structure is different.  There is a riding outfit in the Grand Canyon,  where they only use mules are used for them being able to walk better in the mountains.  I also think that in certian parts of the grand Canyon,  where mules are only allowed in certain areas.  I do plan on doing both, working her in the fields,  and also set her up with a saddle or cart and ride her...eventually..

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #355 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 8:55am

cart I can see.

But then I'm just not a fan of people riding horses anyway.
The horizontal spine is just not evolved as a weight bearing structure.

But that's just me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #356 - Aug 23rd, 2022 at 7:43pm

The structure of the skeleton of the mule. It's made for riding. Which at some point I will get a saddle, but it's mostly gonna be a buggy or cart, and eventually get so,e old school metal plows for the field, not to go political,  but the way the world is going. I would rather have some experience with this equipment before its actually really needed. That's the prepper inside me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)