Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
Update on my move/ log cabin build. (Read 48458 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Update on my move/ log cabin build.
Reply #315 - Jul 4th, 2021 at 10:02am

https://youtu.be/1re3Wu-_Mec here is a new one, i recorded this morning.  Baby geese and ducks, having a flock pool party. Its the 1st time they have been in deep water, that wasn't thier water dish.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #316 - Jul 4th, 2021 at 2:25pm

vetryan15 wrote on Jul 4th, 2021 at 4:49am:
That is weird, maybe a predator ate the eggs. I knpw racoons, skunks,  and opossums will eat eggs. Or maybe something happened in the environment where it couldnt sustian the duck population . A few different senerios

There have been no major changes in the environment.  I guess the only explanation is that a predator ate the eggs or ducklings.  I still might see some ducklings though.  Wild ducks often have a second brood later in the Summer.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #317 - Jul 4th, 2021 at 8:04pm

Racoons and fox have been known to eat em. I dont remember coyotes in the area. But it isnt unheard of. Right before i moved up here. Philadelphia had a coyote running the streets. Watched it live and they caught it. I just found out that our ducks will go broody a second time, at the end of summer imto fall. See when we firat moved up here. I worked for 2 years. Sometimes a 2nd job. I wasnt around learning the flock, she took care of it. But its worse to have a nest so late up herw. Cuz fall comes quick. This week we have had highs in the 60s. Lows in high 40s low 50s. It was so nice.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #318 - Jul 4th, 2021 at 10:48pm

Sounds heavenly.  The older I get the less I like warm weather.  Back in the Pines we have Eastern Coyotes.  They're a wolf/coyote hybrid with slightly more wolf than coyote in them.  But they're very people shy.  They avoid towns and stay in the deep woods.  We do have racoons and foxes here so they're probably the culprits.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #319 - Jul 5th, 2021 at 5:03am

The weather has been so nice. Its july and i need a light jacket.  We have the coywolves up here, but they aint shy. They are smart. If the pack is hungry they will lay in wait, send out a single coyote to 'make friends' with a dog. Play chase and tag. Lead the dogs into the woods, right into an ambush of the waiting pack. Happens all the time to pets here. They have done it to humans as well, same game.  We gotta keep on top of them. They are over populated here. 

Unofficial

there are wolves here, i heard mutiple people tell me of sightings, even my gf saw one the first winter
  Same thing with mountian lions.  It a little bit more wild up here. Lo l

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #320 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 1:58pm

Today,  my solar/wind hybrid system is completely up and running. Right now we are using it now, for my gf to work.  So far it beats running the generator all day. Lol  this is one step towards my goal. We had a few broken pieces that i took momths to fight them to send a couple of replacements. So now its official

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #321 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 7:18am

Very cool man. Bet that feels great.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #322 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 4:03pm

vetryan15 wrote on Jul 16th, 2021 at 1:58pm:
Today,  my solar/wind hybrid system is completely up and running. Right now we are using it now, for my gf to work.  So far it beats running the generator all day. Lol  this is one step towards my goal. We had a few broken pieces that i took momths to fight them to send a couple of replacements. So now its official

Congrats.  Being able to make your own power has to be a great feeling.

IP Logged

meliisa
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #323 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 11:25am

Looks really good, keep us updated!! Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #324 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 2:57pm

@Vet I'm just curious, how many watts/kW is your system?  I made some panels for my parent's small vacation trailer (caravan). back in college but I did a poor job of soldering them and moisture broke the connections. But when they worked, they were a dream to keep their 12V batteries charged. we only had two 50W panels.

John R.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #325 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 4:49pm

We are starting a new project. My dad came up for a week. Unfortunately it was the hottest all summer. 90s with humidity at 85. So not much got done. But we are building  a 10ft by 22ft shed. Which is bigger then my tiny house. Lol. But to help with storage and i can get a work bench, for a workshop.  We did the concrete footers, and started a frame for the foundation.  Did break my wheelbarrow,  but it was an old one and was already replaced.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #326 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 7:39am

Can I just point out that no matter how big you think your shed is, it's never big enough. Smiley
At this stage you could still make it wider.

Also if you've got the land why not make it square ?
That way you can use all the same length wood.
I think it's just habit that makes people build them rectangular rather than square.

12 foot might seem quite wide, but once you've got shelves and machines, it soon shrinks to a narrow corridor down the middle.

I guess the roof might be a bit trickier, but you could always go for a slanted flat roof. After all you want something you can easily get the snow off.

Great news on the power too Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #327 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 10:54am

Well this was an experiment.  My dad had purchased some kind of shed kit, which came with the metal brackets.  Also its set up with the kit, to where you dont need to cut wood at an agle while using the brackets. This was mostly to have a house for our well, and pump, due to freezing temps in the winter,. But the kit had material lists on what we needed, we just opted for the largest one. We are lookimg at eventually connecting it to our tiny house to give it a huge expansion.  Its about 12 feet away. So some  kind of small room will be needed to connect the two together..

So far the power has been hooked up and WORKING for a week now. Had a cloudy day the other day and it decided to alarm at 1am. So had to turn it off. I was already awake due to insomnia.  But the biggest issue is the battery monitor doest really work, so gotta figure out a way to get it rwplaced and a new one that actually works

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #328 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 11:42am

cheap way to link the two buildings: https://www.amazon.com/NSdirect-12x10x7-Gardening-Greenhouse-Portable/dp/B083J7W...

Though it looks like another victim of lockdown.
can't find a single one in stock on amazon.

We've got something almost identical in the garden. Seriously net bit of kit too.
I think my dad paid about £60.
Heavy duty tarp and really solid stainless steel poles.

Easy to put up and easy to move if you got  a permament building instead.
Would give you somewhere to grow some 'erb (huh huh) and store your wet boots and bee keeping gear.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #329 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 12:39pm

We actually have something like that, the frame is up. But waiting till next year to put plastic up

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris)