Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24
Send Topic Print
Update on my move/ log cabin build. (Read 48128 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Update on my move/ log cabin build.
Reply #300 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 2:00pm

You must have missed my question above, Ryan.  Will you be making mead with some of the honey?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #301 - Jun 2nd, 2021 at 10:37am

I thought i had answered it, i apologize.  But YES to your question.  I will be making mead. I have a few people in line who want to purchase mead and honey. Thats without me even going to a farmer's market lol

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #302 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 2:14pm

Honey, and mead for that matter, are great products.  They sell themselves.  Who wouldn't want them?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #303 - Jun 5th, 2021 at 6:03am

I agree, its one of those things. Every slow step to being more self sufficient.  Which is nice. Beeswax goes for about $15 a pound, that has a ton of uses as well. I absolutely love it

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #304 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 4:28pm

Here are a few updates.

Yesterday we added a 2nd box to the bee hives. So now they are double hives, its to grow the hive and make sure they dont swarm, which since its the 1st year. I dont have to really worry abour it. But in about a month. I will be adding another smaller box, that will be to harvest the excess honey. The 1st year, since its a ndw hive and needs to get settled.  I wont be getting much honey. I am guessing maybe 20 pounds. Next years honey forcast, if everything goes right. With 2 hives and my current set up. It will be about 200 lbs.  Cheesy

My gf helped, and is getting involved in the bees. We can walk the land and see bees on the flowers. Its quite interesting.  I have family visiting in a few weeks. So i will be having nieces and nephews going into the hives with me.

Yesterday we did collect a small amount of honey, and comb. The bees will fill every nook and cranny with comb, until there is only enough space for a single bee to go both ways. So u need to remove the excess. Its called 'burr comb' it had some honey on it, u can chew the comb, which has wax on it as well, very tasty.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #305 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 4:31pm

What do you mean by swarming? Do they leave the hive for a bigger place?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #306 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 4:38pm

Added more to the flock..

So we got some geese, and a few more ducks. We have 6 ducks. But due to the poultry industry standards.  They only ship 2 day through  the mail. The baby chicks from the hatcheries.  We lost 3. Which in my view was a wasted loss of life. But now total we have 4 geese, and 3 more ducks. They are now about 3 weeks old. And very messy. We actually bring the inside at night and have them in a small playpen during the day. They love it. One duck is known to perch like a chicken, it has already started to perch ar night. The geese like to yell alot as well, they are called 'weeder geese' they will keep the weeds down.

We let a chicken keep a nest of eggs to humor her. Since in 3 years we didn't have any babies hatch. Well the day after fathers day. We as a surprise to both of us. Found 12 baby chicks running around. Now the nest is in a predator proof area of the coop, and under  the nesting bboxes which i took an old pop up camper that was given to me and converted to a chicken coop. We will be giving most of these chicks away. We are allowing the mother to raise them. They are now only 5 days old. And doing good.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #307 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 4:40pm

Morphy wrote on Jun 25th, 2021 at 4:31pm:
What do you mean by swarming? Do they leave the hive for a bigger place?

Yes. If it gets cramped in the hive. They will raise a new queen, and bounce. Usually its close by to the hive they left. But an also be up to a mile away. There are other reasons they swarm. But thats the main one

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #308 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 7:18pm

Nothing better than a hunk of fresh honey comb.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #309 - Jun 26th, 2021 at 5:42am

Rat Man wrote on Jun 25th, 2021 at 7:18pm:
   Nothing better than a hunk of fresh honey comb. 

Ita delicious.  I only have had the bees for 1 month, and i am so happy to be going down this route,

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #310 - Jun 27th, 2021 at 9:05am

It's so cool. We've all said it before, but damn I'm jealous.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #311 - Jul 3rd, 2021 at 2:31pm

https://youtu.be/UURwozFk4ck here is a quick video i made, showing off the baby geese and ducks at 1  1/2 months old,  then the baby chicks at about 3 weeks old, with mama chick.  She is very protective and has turned into 'CUJO'   lol. We have neighbors gonna take a few chicks,  cuz we have too many

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #312 - Jul 3rd, 2021 at 6:12pm

Mama hen isnt playing around.  Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #313 - Jul 3rd, 2021 at 10:47pm

This is a little off topic but there were no ducklings on my lake this year.  This is weird because there is certainly no shortage of ducks.  There were plenty of goslings.  I have no idea why no ducklings hatched.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #314 - Jul 4th, 2021 at 4:49am

That is weird, maybe a predator ate the eggs. I knpw racoons, skunks,  and opossums will eat eggs. Or maybe something happened in the environment where it couldnt sustian the duck population . A few different senerios

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)