Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Update on my move/ log cabin build. (Read 48110 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Update on my move/ log cabin build.
Reply #285 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 5:51pm

Just heard that one today. It's weirder than I remember.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #286 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 6:12pm

Definitely weird even for the B52s.  That bass line is pretty catchy though.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #287 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 8:45pm

I think rock lobster is supposed to be the song of Maine

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #288 - Dec 26th, 2020 at 2:28pm

Speaking of ducks, one of my White Mallards died.  The pair has been on the lake for many years so he might have died of old age.  Who knows with ducks?  It's sad to see because they mate for life and this guy is alone for the duration.... unless he/she pairs with one of the many wild Mallards which seems unlikely.

WM.jpg (128 KB | 17 )
WM.jpg

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #289 - May 13th, 2021 at 4:53am

This hasnt been updated in awhile, in about 2 weeks we be adding to our flock. More ducks and now adding a new bird, gonna have some Geese. There will be pics when i get them. But also we had another addition.  We had noticed a hen getting broody, he let her go with it, not expecting anything to come of it. Since the year before none have hatched. Well the friday before mothers day, we candlied some eggs, couldnt see much. The conditions were not right, well on mothers day we decided to check our nesting boxes for eggs. Well in the same nest 2 birds were sittimg together, we moved one bird and a baby started running around. Literally withna nest of 12 eggs. Only 1 hatched. So we boought the chick, mother and her nest of eggs inside. Bit it looks like it will be a single egg hatch.

I been every busy, but i got a new toy. Wood chipper/wood shredder. Its so fun. It can only take up to 3 inch thick logs. But i can use that for firewood. I cleared out an area and laid down some wood chips for a project.

My newest project,  whicj i was gonna wait to talk about it, i was gonna post a video of when i got the livestock.  But here i been assembling and staining the wood for it, i am also currently taking a online class about it, that is through the VA, and Michigan state University,  remote learning.

BEEKEEPING...

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #290 - May 13th, 2021 at 4:59am

I did put up an electric fence as well. We have lots of bear up here.

Here are a few more pics, this year we tapped put maple trees to make syrup. We fot about 30 gals of sap. The end result we got about 35 oz. Of syrup.  Its only worth. The intensive labor due to the taste. Lol.

Also our lone female turkey she laid a few eggs for 2 weeks. They are huge, i was abole to locate her nest, and had turkey eggs everyday for a week. She then moved her nest and the only one who could locate it was one of my dogs. Lol. Which she always ate the eggs. But it wss was about the size of 3 chicken eggs. Huge. And delicious.  That is the culprit,

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #291 - May 13th, 2021 at 8:05am

So much work for so little syrup but it is quite good.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #292 - May 13th, 2021 at 2:52pm

The bee keeping is a great idea.  You'll have a totally sustainable food source either for yourselves or some extra income.  Good luck.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #293 - May 14th, 2021 at 8:26am

Thats the goal.  From what i readm 1st year i should get about 100 lbs of honey. So its lookimg good.

Morphy, yes. Thats the only reason i do it. Lol

We just had a falcon swoop down and go after our ducks, i just so happened to step outside due to a a crow flying overhead. I had to run over to it while it was attacking them. And was able to scare it away. Only damage is the duck has a few broken feathers. Thankfully.  I was outside at the right time.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #294 - May 14th, 2021 at 2:21pm

not sure if you've seen tham. But you can get a hive that has an actual tap for extracting the honey.

It uses a clever set of moveable plates for the bees to form the honey cells in. You throw a lever and the honey just runs down and comes out the tap !
https://www.honeyflow.com/
Clever stuff Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #295 - May 14th, 2021 at 3:51pm

100 lbs is a lot of honey.  That will be a very productive enterprise!  I hope it works.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #296 - May 15th, 2021 at 5:07am

Ca,      i seen those, thats one of the reasons i wanted to get into beekeeping.  But doing research,  lots of mixed feeelings within the community about those, tons of youtube videos as well. For both sides. My biggest problem was the price. Almost  6x the normal price of a regular 10 frame hive, i havent even gotten beese yet, i am in deep. Money wise.

Ratman me too, i eneded up getting a special breed of bees. Some Canadian bees. They are meant to over winter better, due to our harsh winters, more docile, and better honey producers.  They say the biggest problem in overwintering bees here, it was a bit more expensive. But i want the best i could get. Hopefully they arrive this week or next weeks

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #297 - May 25th, 2021 at 3:11pm

If all goes according to plan you'll soon have a f ton of honey.  Will you be making mead with some of it?  A friend of mine made his own mead and it was wonderful stuff.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #298 - May 26th, 2021 at 7:01am

canadian bees, eh ?
Wonder if the honey tastes like maple syrup whistle

Well the tap beehive cost is offset by not having to spin the combs or replace the frames on a regular basis.

Used to do some work for a local bee man. Probably still got a frame around somewhere. Can't remember why he gave it to me lol

The thing to do is see how labour intensive it is doing it the standard way and see if you'd benefit from the other way.

And seeing if they survive the winter as well.

Shame I'm not nearer to you - I could probably make one of those hives fairly easily.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3202212
that would be cool for making bee wax candles from the wax you scrape off the frames before spinning.

They'd sell well at any farmers market or etsy shop Smiley

Don't forget that beeswax is worth at least as much as the honey !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #299 - May 31st, 2021 at 6:14am

I sre hope it doesnt taste like maple syrup. Lol. I would be quite disappointed on account that i tap trees. Well i lucked out this weekend. I found out my neighbor has bees, he has everything i need, to extract the honey. He has offered to teach me how to use it and help out. I did a quick video of my 1st experience with going into the hives the other day.

https://youtu.be/AWI6kLPcOD8

Right now beeswax is gong for $14 a pound
Honey is about $10 a pound, but if i buy in bulk, in 5lbs i can get that for $30, or $6 a pound.

These Canadian bees are supposed to be very good at overwintering.  Which is good. Since being so far up north, our winters get a bit crazy,

I dont mind u sending free stuff. Grin i think u got my new address

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)