Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Update on my move/ log cabin build. (Read 48124 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Update on my move/ log cabin build.
Reply #105 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 12:31pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 26th, 2019 at 10:55am:
It's only simplistic idiots that look solely at the 'warming' and think: 'why arn't I sunbathing in winter in helsinki, if stuff's warming up ?'

It's defintely not sunbathing weather over here but it is true that winters are getting less harsh. There was a big problem a few years ago where it got warm way earlier than usual, the bears came out of hibernation and then it got cold again. Lots of hungry bears wandering around wondering where all the spring delicacies were. Not good for their populations and not good for those living in areas with lots of bears. My girlfriend had a picture come up on Facebook in October (one of those "On this day..." things) and there was 3 foot of snow and minus temperatures back then. Same day 3 years later and not a flake of snow. It's getting harder to predict when there will be snow and for how long it will last.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #106 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 3:34pm

I agree, I am one of the few that believe global warming is real, and one of the reasons why I wanted a simp,er life was to also help reduce mycarbkn footprint, even if it fowsnt have very much of a difference.  Plus since I am not really a people person, that reason was good enough for me

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #107 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 10:59am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 26th, 2019 at 10:55am:
or they'll get consistently worse and you'll get really profficient at making igloos Smiley

Kind of the problem with global warming - it doesn't make everywhere hotter (after all, it's about 2 degrees c every 20 years or so), it's main effect is to cause weather patterns to change.

At the moment the uk is heating up, but if polar melt water causes the north atlantic conveyor to shutdown (as geologic records record it does fairly regularly (on a geologic timescale) then the uk's average temperature will drop by at least 10c - which is pretty serious.

It's only simplistic idiots that look solely at the 'warming' and think: 'why arn't I sunbathing in winter in helsinki, if stuff's warming up ?' Smiley

I know global warming is fake because Rush Limbaugh says so. 

Seriously, when I was a child here in New Jersey we had sufficient ice on the lakes for ice skating and snow for sledding through almost the entire Winter. There was even a ski resort, Ski Mountain, in my hometown of Pine Hill.  It was successful for a number of years but eventually had to close down because it stopped snowing enough.  This year the lakes never froze enough for one day of ice skating.  We got some snow but it all melted almost as soon as it fell.  Such Winters are now the norm.  In one human lifetime I've witnessed a climate change that should have taken thousands if not tens of thousands of years.  Almost all Climatologists agree that we have a huge problem yet there is an army of ******** ******** who refuse to believe the overwhelming evidence before their eyes. My Grandmom used to say, "It's good we don't live forever, Gary. There are things I don't want to see."

Edit:  I truly believe that if there are future generations we will be universally hated.  We have the knowledge of the impending disaster and the means to fix it but due to  our general greed and ignorance we're allowing it to happen.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2019 at 8:14pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #108 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 11:42pm

You actually have to believe several things before behavior change based on global warming is justified:
1. Global warming is real.
2. Global warming is caused by man.
3. Global warming will result in catastrophe.
4. We can do something about it.

If any one of those is false, then the whole thing falls apart. Scientists have not shown much evidence or focused on anything beyond the first one, and half the population doesn’t believe even that... including many scientists. 

Personally I’d love to move to a cabin in the woods to be in a cabin in the woods. Global warming is about politics and money and power... not science or logic.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #109 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 1:51am

1. Is true , there is pretty solid data backing that up .
2,3 and 4 are well open for debate, and that's where it gets fuzzy, I'm not so concerned about it in my life , I feel that if 2,3 and 4 are true it will be my grandchildren or theirs that see the world changing for the worse. But I think you could add many more problems to the list that have nothing to do with global temperature change .

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #110 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 1:30pm

The planet has been getting warmer for the last 10,000 years or so.  It also has cycles where the temps drop like a rock.  We are just now beginning to start to form working theories as to why and how much man is affecting the cycle.

Or, if we can do anything about it. 

Rising seas are bad enough, here's something else to worry about.

If the planet's global temps increase a few degrees, that means a lot of temperate areas will turn sub tropical, sub tropical will turn tropical and tropical may get too hot to live in.  Guess which areas grow a large amount of the globe's food?  What will that do to food production?  Will that start migration away from the areas that are now too hot to live comfortably? 

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #111 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 1:49pm

Also old diseases and pests in new areas. Ticks never used to live in Finland. Then they lived in the south of Finland. Now they're moving further and further north. African species of ticks have even been brought over to Finland and, though they don't survive the winters here (yet...) they are larger and very aggressive and have already been reported on in the national news. West Nile virus, Dengue fever, malaria etc. all those diseases that rely on insect vectors and can be devastating, are popping up in areas across the world that they've never been seen in before because the mosquitoes can spread further and further north. That also contributes to what Bill said about food production with the spread of pests. Climate change is happening and it's going to do a LOT of damage.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #112 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 10:59am

Yesterday I bought home a few meat and dual purpose chicks, and a couple ducks. I will be adding more in a week or 2, and will be doing a video soon.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #113 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 2:46pm

sounds good Thumbs Up
what kind of chickens ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #114 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 5:17pm

Picked up a few cornish. Then some others I forgot the breeds unfortunately,  and I didn't write em down. But they are about 2 weeks old

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #115 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 3:30pm

how are the dogs with them ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #116 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 4:31pm

Not too bad, interested and like to sniff em. Jolene my 'lurcher'  thinks they are her babies, and wants to climb in the totem and lay with them. She will sit next to the totem for hours, stick her head in and watch them. Here she Is sniffing a duck.

20190402_185803.jpg (2284 KB | 52 )
20190402_185803.jpg
IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #117 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 5:31pm

Also we got a surprise nor'easter today. Was expecting 1-3in but got 6 inches dumped on us.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #118 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 5:53am

Picked up a few more chicks last night,  so far we have 14 chicks and 3 ducks. The breeds are isa brown, columbian Red cross, cornish,  Rhode island  red, and Jersey giant. Now this group is my test run. Next year they might all be butchered. Reason is there is a specific breed I am interested in that is really expensive but they are built for the extreme cold weather we have up here. Those are called Icelandic chickens.  That breed is what the Vikings had.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #119 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 4:29am

Picked up a couple turkeys yesterday,   it one isn't doing so good. Hopefully we will be able to nurse it back to health.  But on a side note tomorrow we are expecting 7 to 11 I of snow. If that's the case after it's done will
Will have had over 160 in of snow drop so far.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man)