Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fishermens (Read 6230 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Fishermens
Reply #30 - May 22nd, 2018 at 7:58am

I like those telescoping rods, especially for trout and perch but I always wonder if they will hold up. I may have to try one. Most of the ones I've seen have been cheaper looking than the one you posted.

Cabela's has some higher quality ones as well. That might be a good trade off. Once I win the lottery I promise to try all the methods and report back on which is best. For science.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #31 - May 22nd, 2018 at 12:16pm

C_A, your reel looks like it would work with one of the really long telescoping poles that RatMan talked about.  You can get a similar reel, the line  threads inside the pole so you don't need eyelets.  You need to figure out a way to mount it to the pole.

They are mainly to hold line so it doesn't tangle or to let out more if the fish are really deep, so no drag would be required, just some way to lock the spool to keep the line at the same distance while fishing but able to reel it back in when you're done and collapse the pole.

Asian Carp down here in the South in our slow moving, warm, muddy waters have an off taste, particularly the the dark meat.  It isn't very good.  Then again, I may have been spoiled by catfish, bluegills, crappie and bass.  I've also eaten gar, which is actually pretty good, just a PITA to clean.  And don't eat the eggs, they're caustic and poisonous.

I have several Asian carp in my larger pond for weed control, they are probably about as long as your leg and weigh around 40-50 pounds. 

I believe you have a different species in Europe?  Which is the same type RatMan has in his colder waters, also.  The first carp in NAmerican waters were brought in by European immigrants from Europe, most carp down in the southeast are from escaped Asiatic or Grass Carp from catfish farms.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #32 - May 25th, 2018 at 1:13pm

pole fishing has elastic anchored in the rod tip and a fixed length of line. Fighting and landing a carp on a pole is fun.

But a 10 metre carbon fibre pole wont go in a back pack Smiley

I've used telescopic rods my whole life.
My dad generally had sectional ones. We've done the same kind of fishing.
I've never been let down by even the cheapo telescopic rods I could afford as a kid.

I've caught decent sized carp on a basic shakespear 7 foot spinning rod in the uk and canada.   
My normal rod is 11 feet I think, also telescopic. I just prefer them.

No idea what make I currently use. I've always found that you pay good money for the reel and use cheap rods Smiley
My current reel has dual check, ideal for carp fishing.

But the second kit I linked to looks like decent rod and reel. plus you can always get a better reel if necessary.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #33 - May 25th, 2018 at 2:16pm

Morphy wrote on May 11th, 2018 at 9:19am:
Never tried a blue fox out, might have to get one. Are they mostly for trout? We used to use rooster tails. Not sure how much bass fishing you do but the Rebel crawfish is just about the best lure I've ever used. It will drive fish wild.

Blue Fox is a great inline spinner that will catch anything that bites lures.  Mepps and Rooster Tails are  awesome inline spinners also. Of the three Mepps is my favorite but they all work great.  I have three favorite lures... the Tiki Man Wave Worm, which is a soft stick bait like a Senko. I like to fish heavy cover and slop.  The Tiki Man is perfect for such places and the best part is that if you loose one occasionally it's no big deal.  They are relatively cheap.  Next is the Johnson Silver Minnow.  This is a weedless spoon.  It will cut through the worst cover and come up with the fish.  I wouldn't be caught without some in my tackle box. 
    The very first lure fish I ever caught was a Largemouth Bass on a purple weedless plastic worm.  The biggest bass I ever caught in my life was on a purple weedless plastic worm.  Plastic worms have been around forever.  They are relatively cheap, can be rigged many ways, and catch fish as well as anything.
    There are many other that I love but these are my go to lures.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2018 at 1:13pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #34 - May 25th, 2018 at 2:30pm

Morphy wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 9:03pm:
And of course....then there's these. 

http://www.emmrod.com

Too many options, not enough time.   Grin

Damn.... Emmrods look like they could work.  What a weird looking design.  I may have to purchase one.  When I was very young there were still a few old steel fishing rods around but they were conventional rods.  If Emmrods work that would be a major innovation.  Saving all of that space would make them well worth the investment.  Plus they look indestructible. I think I'm going to buy one, maybe next month. I let you know how they work.
[right]
[/right]

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #35 - May 25th, 2018 at 9:15pm

I think that those emmrods could be good to use with a bow too . A little extra fight in the reel.
I'll let you know if it's a gimmick CA

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #36 - May 26th, 2018 at 3:00pm

I've heard good things about the emmrods from several knowledgeable fishermen. I think so long as you know why you're buying it and it's uses fall within the design they are a great buy.

The KastKing Blackhawk and Blackhawk 2 also have a pretty good following.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016Y1NWZS/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

This is the other option. The only thing with the emmrod is if you are walking up and down rivers or in overgrown areas that short length really becomes a plus. With the telescoping the short length is only for easy portability but doesn't necessarily help for other situations.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #37 - May 26th, 2018 at 3:59pm

Like I've said before I like to keep it simple so a short compact rod suits me fine , wonder what price a full setup would cost ?????

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #38 - May 27th, 2018 at 11:15am

Morphy wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 3:00pm:
I've heard good things about the emmrods from several knowledgeable fishermen. I think so long as you know why you're buying it and it's uses fall within the design they are a great buy.

The KastKing Blackhawk and Blackhawk 2 also have a pretty good following.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016Y1NWZS/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

This is the other option. The only thing with the emmrod is if you are walking up and down rivers or in overgrown areas that short length really becomes a plus. With the telescoping the short length is only for easy portability but doesn't necessarily help for other situations.

Often I find myself in very small boats with other fishermen or women.  Short poles are very advantageous in these situations.  If I could find one that worked as well as a long pole like hopefully the Emmrod does it would well be worth the money. I'm about 90% convinced I'm going to try an Emmrod next month.
   Right now my favorite pole is an UglyStick. They have a great feel and are very rugged.  For the money they're hard to beat.
    About  two years ago my shed was robbed.  I lost most of my rods and reels then, along with lots of tools.  I'm due to completely revamp my fishing gear.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #39 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 11:43am

Good thing about an Emmrod is you can keep it in your house, or backpack for that matter so no more worrying about someone getting it from your shed.

https://youtu.be/wdCku_3SHJk

Here's a fun video.

I just cut a nice cane to make into a cane pole and had to go look up videos on people fishing with them.

This got me thinking, has anyone here ever tried to put an actual reel on a cane pole?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #40 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 2:46pm

That's a cool video but I found the "Worm Gitter" even more ingenious than the pole. I've seen a fair few ways to get worms but this seems really elegant and simple.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #41 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 2:49pm

Kick wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 2:46pm:
That's a cool video but I found the "Worm Gitter" even more ingenious than the pole. I've seen a fair few ways to get worms but this seems really elegant and simple.

Yes sir, I need to try that. Seems pretty easy to make as well.  Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #42 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 2:58pm

I bet a "fancy" version would make a good gift for a keen fisherman. I'm also thinking of setting up a worm farm and this would make things VERY simple...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #43 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 7:22am

worms are easy and also can be fun.

when we were kids I lived in germany and we used to go camping on the luxembourg border.

One thing my dad and I would always do, was go worm hunting at night.

At night worms come out of their burrows and lay mostly on the surface. The mostly part is important.
They leave part of their body n the burrow for a fast get away.

So all the europaens would watch these two english, sneaking about at night with torches and pouncing on worms. Now worms are both faster and stronger than you think.
To get one out of it's burrow, once you've grabbed it is a real knack. You have to pull hard enough that it comes out, but not so hard you break the worm.
It was by no means a foregone conclusion, even if you managed to grab the worm before it vanished down it's burrow !

The worms in luxembourg were large and extremely strong and sometimes it was quite a battle between man and Annelid.

Apparently, so we were told, it was quite the spectator sport Smiley

The other way we'd get worms was to throw the used washing up water on the ground. Worms hate detergent, so as the water soaks into the ground, the worms come to the surface.
You need to wash them in clean water or they dissolve (which is why they escape to the surface.

Then there's worm charming Smiley I'm not making this up.

Get a garden fork, stick it in the ground and start twanging it. The vibrations con the worms into thinking it's raining and they come to the surface to avoid being drowned.
There are worm charming championships in the uk.

Of course there's always the old: turn over a rock and grab the worms, option. Often used that one too. 

Those emrod things look interesting.
I suppose for US bass style angling (stupidly strong breaking strength line and a bullying approach) they would work really well.
We tend towards giving the fish a chance in the uk, so the longer rod lets you control the fish much easier and prevent line breakage.
It's not that unusual for us to go after double figure carp with 4lb breaking strength line. A longer more flexible rod is essential for that.

My little telescopic rod packs down at least as small as an emrod. So for transport there's no obvious advantage.

But yeah, interesting idea, I'd like to try one out sometime. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #44 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 10:34am

Here in Houston fishing is serious business. You have two types of fisherman here. The catch and release sport types who use gear that give the fish a sporting chance and then you have types like me that like to EAT FISH.

We are the merciless killing machines that use 50lb test on a 5lb fish because we like the taste of fish and we don't care about giving them a sporting chance.

When hunting with primitive gear I won't kill an animal that is too oblivious. I find that feels wrong to me. But when fishing... Well...

https://youtu.be/C3zQ_cZ29jc

Just call me Arnold.  Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)