Send Topic Print
Fishermens (Read 6228 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Fishermens
Reply #15 - May 9th, 2018 at 4:40am

Why not hand throw a larger stone ? Don't really see what advantage the sling is play at this angle and short range , I can pick up a 30kg rock that's flat and slam it in a pool of water . I was waiting for something good then.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - May 9th, 2018 at 7:46am

well I doubt it's ever been done - but the principle is clear.

A large slower moving rock would not generate the same shockwaves.

Basically rs is saying that you can generate shockwaves with a really hard impact that mirrors the way dynamite fishing concusses and kills fish.

Or at least I think that's what he's getting at - as always, fantastic ideas: detail and proof non-existent.

Bearing in mind you can't do this by firing a bullet into a stream, it's doubtful that you could generate sufficient energy and shockwaves to stun fish with a sling and a stone.

You'd probably catch more by actually hitting a fish with a slung rock.

It's an interesting idea though Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - May 9th, 2018 at 9:02am

Just my experience here....

I used to live next to a small river teaming with trout and small mouth. They would often swim a foot to a foot and a half below the surface, sometimes closer. I tried many times from point blank range, literally as they swam under my feet, to hit the water hard enough to kill them. It never worked. Call me overly skeptical, but I'll always go with experience over theory and stories.

If anyone else has actually killed a decent size fish this way, not from actually impacting the fish with the stone but from the shockwave, I would like to hear it.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #18 - May 9th, 2018 at 11:18am

I feel, even if it's possible, everyone's best friend the pointy stick would be a safer bet.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #19 - May 9th, 2018 at 1:21pm

Kick wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 11:18am:
I feel, even if it's possible, everyone's best friend the pointy stick would be a safer bet.

A red stick even better!  Wink

Boom, there goes the fishes!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - May 9th, 2018 at 3:07pm

I did not believe you can catch trout with your hands..until I actually did it CoolGoing to give the sling and flat rock a shot hehe. I,ll get back to ya on this one.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - May 9th, 2018 at 6:25pm

Good luck Walter. Might consider bringing a grenade in case the rock doesn't quite do it. Those fish are wily. I think a couple laughed off  my attempts.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #22 - May 10th, 2018 at 8:55pm

Here in Montana, the best fishing I've experienced was in the mountains, those dumb hungry fish will eat anything. It only takes one type of lure:

A good ol' Blue Fox. Cool

Fresh Cutthroat is a healer to weary joints after something like a Rumble hike, especially when well seasoned! Wink

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - May 11th, 2018 at 9:19am

Never tried a blue fox out, might have to get one. Are they mostly for trout? We used to use rooster tails. Not sure how much bass fishing you do but the Rebel crawfish is just about the best lure I've ever used. It will drive fish wild.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #24 - May 11th, 2018 at 7:15pm

I don't really know as I'm not avid. But I would recommend Blue Foxes for trout.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #25 - May 12th, 2018 at 12:33pm

LOL! I can’t believe how much conversation RS is able to spark with his ludicrous stories! He is just plausible enough to get everyone else talking about it.

RS is one of the most entertaining trolls I’ve ever seen Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #26 - May 21st, 2018 at 2:42pm

Morphy wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 1:30pm:
https://youtu.be/262YEfXn154

I want to do this so bad lol...

I've read about people fishing for Crappie Bass using a very similar method.  The very long poles enable fishermen to reach otherwise inaccessible pockets in the weeds where Crappie hide. I've come very close to purchasing a long Crappie pole but I haven't tried it yet.
    I have eaten Carp and I can't understand Americans' aversion to it.  I think it's pretty good. 
     Something we discussed here a very long time ago.. The Edge Theory.  If you are going to fish a body of water you're unfamiliar with your best chance of locating fish is to find where as many edges as possible meet. What the hell am I talking about?  In fishing, an edge is anywhere any differences in ambient conditions meet.  Here are just a few of an almost infinite array of examples.  Where clear water runs into stained water. Where weeds meet clear water. Where fast water meets still water.  Where ice ends and liquid water begins.  The surface of the water is an edge because water meets air there.  Same with the bottom.  Where different sorts of weeds meet, like where Rice Grass meets Lily Pads meet seaweed, etc..  Where cold water meets warm.  When stormy weather runs into clear.  Dusk and dawn are both edges. Where fresh water meets brackish or salt. The list is endless.  If you can find a place in your unfamiliar body of water where four or five of these edges meet (the more the better) the better your chances of catching fish.  At first you have to think about it but after a while it becomes automatic. I learned of this theory in the '80s reading In Fisherman magazine.  I'm not sure they invented it.  It works.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #27 - May 21st, 2018 at 9:03pm

Hey that's really helpful RM. Thanks! I've been researching lately everything I can find on the best times, places, conditions etc, to fish. I think that's a very simple way to look at something that can very easily become overly complicated. I'll have to try that.

Mersa got me into handlining recently and it's pretty fun. I've fished for perch and trout with a cane pole and that's also alot of fun, although I really prefer as simple and mobile a set up as I can find.

Recently I've been looking into kite reels or even just cheap fly fishing reels to try handlining with a reel while at the same time having the ease of drag and being able to actually reel the fish in.

Has anyone heard of using such a method? I haven't found much info on it. The idea is to just throw it in my back pack and go.

And of course....then there's these. 

http://www.emmrod.com

Too many options, not enough time.   Grin

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #28 - May 22nd, 2018 at 6:31am

I'm going to try this very soon just need to order it

image_088.jpeg (49 KB | 42 )
image_088.jpeg

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #29 - May 22nd, 2018 at 6:51am

why not just have asmall telescopic rod and a reel ?

A little 7 foot spinning rod shuts down small enough to stick in any pack.
https://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-COMPTSSCKIT-Complete-SpincastTelescopic/dp/B0...
I'd recommend a much better reel - close faced reels are a bloody nightmare. No idea why they're so popular in the states.   

this is a much better looking kit: https://www.amazon.com/OutLife-Spinning-Saltwater-Freshwater-Professional/dp/B07...

doesn't give you the packed down size - but should be easily small enough to shove in a backpack.
Get a few floats and some weights and hooks - buck store should help there, and you're all set.

Not sure how well that wrist reel would work.
You're going to struggle to get a decent winding position while keeping your other arm steady.
I suspect it's just a gimmick.

Speaking of gimmicks - I did make a couple of these a few years back: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:427155

Doesn't really work Smiley

That said - I'm currently trialing some super tough filament with industrial nano-diamonds. This might be a good test of that.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)