Australia
Fishermens
May 2nd, 2018 at 8:48am

Fishing!
Who does it?
What's your aim?
What's your style?
Where is your perfect place?

For me I'm not into fishing with a hook and line as much as most my friends. I do enjoy throwing a line in the water and I love a lot of seafood. For me I like to keep it simple and go for fish where I can expect them and there easy fishing im not a big time fishermen and just use simple Handline most the time.
I like the idea of spear fishing but I have a lot of sharks around the oceans I would do this. This makes it a lot less appealing. I recently had my first attempt at bow fishing and I love it! I'm hooked so to say.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Fishermens
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2018 at 2:25pm

I like baitcasters. Cast nets for bait fish and cane poles at times.

A really enjoyable, and underrated way to fish is with ultra light poles and 2lb line and go after Bluegill. Those Bluegill fight hard for their size and taste better than any fish you can find in a restaurant.

My aim is to have fun and eat fish because if God didn't mean for us to eat fish He wouldn't have made them so tasty. How's that for a solid argument?

My style is to sit on my rear end and drink beer. Actually haven't had a beer or anything else while fishing in a long long time. But if I could choose a style it would be that.

While I have on many occasions walked up and down rivers for trout and small mouth my favorite way/place to fish is a small lake or large pond in the mountains where I can set up camp and relax, then bring my fish back to the campsite and cook them with wild foraged plants and mushrooms.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2018 at 5:46pm

I used to be a fishing fanatic. I had more gear than a bait and tackle shop and spent all of my spare time fishing. Then I got Husky Dogs. They are a very  time consuming breed. I still love to fish but I don't get to do it as much as I used to.
    Though I enjoy all sorts of fishing I mostly do freshwater with light tackle... spinning gear. I fish with lures only except when I saltwater fish. I am best at fishing very heavy cover. That's where the big ones are. I'll catch anything that's biting but mostly I'm after Northern Chain Pickerel, which grow fat and mean in the Jersey Pines, and Largemouth Bass.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2018 at 8:01pm

I've got two ponds on my place, one just under an acre, and the other just at two acres. 

The larger pond has largemouth bass, catfish and bluegills that  I stocked.  It also has other species that nature stocked for me. 

And right now, I just stocked tome tilapia for weed control.  They will die this winter when the water cools off.  When they do, I rake them out and put them out for the buzzards.  Last year, I had two bald eagles show up to eat them.

Both were stock ponds, I had the larger dug out about 10 years ago when we were in a drought.

IP Logged

Peashooter
Tiro

Have fun Storming the
Castle!

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2018 at 1:10am

I used to like to drop a line off of a pier and catch mackerel in the summer. Starting with anchovies for bait then cut up the first mackerel for bait. We’d bring up 3 or 4 at a time, my family and I. Another bonus for fishing off the pier was that a fishing license wasn’t needed.

But some of the most fun I’ve had fishing was trying to catch triggerfish in the Sea of Cortez with a trout pole. They strike hard, and when one gets on the hook, the end of the pole bends straight down to the water. You have to reel it in like mad or the triggerfish will simply bite through the hook since their teeth are strong enough to bite coral. Once you get em up and cooked, they make the best fish tacos!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2018 at 6:51am

Been fishing since I was old enough to hold a rod.

Never done any sea fishing, never lived near a coast Sad

Coarse fishing in the uk  is quite different to fishing in the states.

Over here carp is the king. People will happily spend several days camped at a fishery for just one bite.

In my youth I used to go fish at local limepits and nature area.
Don't think I ever caught anything, but you could see the fish swimming about, big buggers. It was just a great way to chill out and spend a day in  a beautiful location.

Did some fly fishing in my even more distant youth. The chap who designed the electronics for concorde taught my to flyfish, stayed with him and his family one summer.  He's long dead now, but a great chap.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2018 at 8:12am

Here in America Carp are considered an invasive species. In my state, New Jersey, you are supposed to kill every one you catch. In fact it's illegal to return one to the water.
     Personally I find such a law ridiculous. There are Carp in EVERY body of fresh water in the state. We are never going to get rid of them so we might as well embrace them.
      Since I was a small child I've always enjoyed catching carp. They are by far the biggest fish in any body if water here. They can grow three feet long and thirty pounds... or bigger. The idea of deliberately killing them in a futile attempt to eliminate them is preposterous. Consequently I ignore the law and return them unharmed.
     A big, fat Carp is welcome on my line anytime.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2018 at 2:20pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2018 at 1:30pm

https://youtu.be/262YEfXn154

I want to do this so bad lol...

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2018 at 2:20pm

That does look pretty fun. I've done a bit of fishing as a kid when we came visiting in Finland. We would go out on our friend's old boat which would ALWAYS breakdown. Every single time we went out the motor would crap out, he would spend 15 mins poking and hitting it and then we would limp back to shore. Great fun Cheesy Mostly we would catch zander and perch and occasionally pike which he would put in a bucket, take home and then put in his swimming pool whilst the fire got going to smoke them. Some of the best fish I've ever had despite the time spent in the pool.

More recently I've fished a few times at the summer cottage, mostly catching young pike around near the shallows. Lately I've kind of lost my appetite for fishing. My girlfriend is vegetarian and I'm a vegetarian when it's convenient and the last time I caught a pike it almost entirely swallowed the hook meaning I had to bash it's head in then cut the head off to get the hook out. Didn't feel so good really and couldn't eat it afterwards so felt very wasteful. I think I just don't know enough about fishing to do it properly with a purpose. Slinging is a much more worthwhile way to spend time at the cottage anyway Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2018 at 3:58pm

Yeah we have a similiar thing over here. called pole fishing. These days usually carbon fibre, a 10 metre pole can weigh around a lb.

Yeah i know they're looked on as vermin in canada and the states.
Carp are actually good eating.

Which causes problems in the uk. Polish immigrants/workers like to eat carp - it's a traditional christmas dish as well.
So you get confrontations and fights between the polish who take the carp and the brits who - essentially - worship them.

Pretty much every big carp in the uk has a name and known history.

Some of the big lakes in france they can grow over 100lb.

Think my biggest was around 16lb.

couple years back me and my dad and my mate dave went for a days fishing.
We had fun. At one point I was trying to help dave get a bite and my rod decided to aim for the water. I didn't swear - exactly - but there was some ripe language, shall we say and rapid movement on my part whistle
I did land the fish.

Anyway, towards the end of the day a guy in a car drove up and stopped.
He thanked us for giving him and his wife so much entertainment. He and his wife had been fishing in the next door pond - not that far away. And had been enjoying our banter. Apparently when my rod headed for the water his wife laughed so hard she nearly fell of her chair.

Always good to be of service Smiley

Dave still hasn't caught a decent carp.

he did catch a small eel on the canal while i was there, many many years ago. I had to unhook it as he wouldn't go near it.
To hear him tell it these days, it was the midgard serpents bigger brother !

Unfortunately due to over fishing of the elvers - big eels are dying out in the uk. Shame as eel is probably the best fish to hot smoke there is.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2018 at 4:39pm

Around here carp and hardheads (a type of catfish) are looked at as worse than trash fish. There is an irrational hatred for them for no reason I can think of. Hardheads are actually quite good and when nothing else is biting you can catch them by the dozen. I have never tried a carp but there's a lot of meat on those bigger fish, seems like a good source of protein to me.

Another fish that is often overlooked is gar. Gar meat is a strange thing. It has the texture and taste of chicken. It is unlike any other fish I've tasted. The eggs though are quite toxic and even puncturing the egg sac while cleaning the fish can be dangerous.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - May 7th, 2018 at 3:15am

I had another new experience with a friend today catching river prawns for bait , although all the fish we caught were not worth keeping the process was very enjoyable and I feel a combination or handline fishing , netting and blowfishing could be me !!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2018 at 10:44am

I can't wait to try handlining! Lol. Now I can finally keep my "fishing rod" in my small hiking backpack with my other stuff.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - May 8th, 2018 at 5:46pm

i fish with my sling...period.  used to run deep sea charters years ago offshore.  it sucked.  sling fishing is easy.  if u do not know how to do it, then u r not a true slinger.  it involves nothing but a flat rock and ur sling in a small pool with fishes.  done it many times.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - May 8th, 2018 at 9:33pm

here i will share this so u do not get hurt trying some of those other things...take a flat rock the size of a large man's hand, practice slinging it hard straight down until u can get it to hit flat on the ground with heavy force.   a stream with a pool of water about 4x6 ft in area and four or five feet deep with fishes in it or larger if u can see the fish below u the pool of water size is irrelevant..the rest should be self explanatory.  after the sling attempt is properly is made, just wait a few minutes, they will rise up to the surface and start floating away...pick them up. clean, cook and eat. done it often, and so have many others i know

a lil 100lb woman taught me that trick...

slinger survival training 101

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)