Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Super tough, super light, full balearic target finished ! (Read 6333 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Super tough, super light, full balearic target finished !
Reply #15 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 1:03pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:12pm:
it does depend on what you get.
The real cheap ones you get in the pound/dollar stores, just don't last more than a couple of minutes.
You need the actual meant for playing tennis with, tennis balls. Much much tougher.

Absolutely. That's what's great with this place is they are actual name brand tennis balls Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 3:33pm

ordered 50 Smiley
was £0.49 cheaper when i went back to the ebay listing.

Might sound like a lot. But it's only ten rounds of 5.
You don't wnat to be walkign back and forth all the time.

So next up - tennis ball picker upper. My knees can't take the rock picking in mallorca and that's going to be nothing compared to this Smiley

After quick perusal of the interweb. Looks pretty simple. If I can get a plumbing tube wider than a tennis ball. Just shove a little one way rubber end and off you go.

Failing that i was thinking large pop bottle attached to a broom stick.
watch this space lol 

As it turns out, standard guttering downpipe is 68mm. Now tennis balls are 65mm. So it all depends how thick the plastic is.
That said. I can always cut the pipe and insert spacers to make it that bit wider.
Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 3:44pm

yeah pvc - I'm using polypropylene - totally different animal.
pvc is brittle - polypropylene is anything but.

I took a piece of my piping and battered it against the concrete floor of my workshop, repeatedly as hard as I could. Barely scuffed it.

The only - vaguely -vulnerable bits are the parts that hold the the rubber washers that give the pipe  a tight fit.
If it ever proves a problem, I'll make my own from flexible pla.

But this really isn't for large rocks. Tennis balls and the odd clay missile. Still got a few left from hodd hill.

I have thought this through Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 9:21pm

Pretty good target stand... beautiful dog Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 10:00pm

@CA I might print a two part mold from semi flex and then do a silicone pour for ammo.  That’s a lot less expensive than printing ammo directly.
I agree with you about nf. It’s too oozy for my tastes, but I’ll have to try the e-sun flex PLA.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 6:48am

Oops - SUNLU NOT esun.
Jeez all these chinese companies kind of merge into one after a while.
https://www.amazon.com/SUNLU-Filament-Flexible-Dimensional-Accuracy/dp/B01N2U3RT...

Good stuff to print with for things that need to be hard but also super tough and a bit flexible.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 9:32am

Have you tested it with rocks or is that not in the plans?

My biggest complaint with tennis balls is that they aren't quite as heavy as the rocks I like to throw.   Grin

When I let fly with a good rock and it hits the bank with a good smack, it just feels more satisfying.   Grin

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 10:19am

rocks just aren't feasible.
Unless you want to spend a whole day picking up the broken, razor sharp shards that will kill a lawn mower.

I will try my clay balls.
Air dry clay is fine as it just dissolves in rain and even when it breaks, it isn't hard enough to hurt a lawn mower or a dogs feet.

Tennis balls are fine for weight.
Cheap, tough and reusable. Stones - not so much. 

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #23 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 10:39am

It was only last year I started using tennis balls and it does take some adjusting but I think I'm about as good with tennis balls as I am with rocks (so not all that good... Cheesy)

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #24 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 11:46am

There must be some trick to using light ammo like tennis balls and golf balls. I just cant do it accurately.

I have to second air dry clay. It works particularly well in your pill rollers CA. And you can buy it cheap in bulk online. It maintains some good mass as it dries as well.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #25 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 7:07am

The point is that tennis balls are what are used for some competitions. So practicing with tennis balls for competition target shooting with tennis balls, is pretty much what I'll be doing.

To that end, inbetween helping the chap cleaning the pond, working, lunch, dog walking and tai chi. I designed and made the : Curious Aardvark, Patented Tennis Ball Picker-Upperer.

Essentially a one way valve sized for tennis balls that can be attached to any tube that will fit tennis balls.
The design is 100% parametric. So if I can get longer different size tubes in the future, change one dimension and everything else adjusts to suit.

I've used one of the tubes you buy tennis balls in - because that's what I had.
A recycled bit of wood and some sellotape later:

huh_588x600.jpg (57 KB | 43 )
huh_588x600.jpg
wtf_800x115.jpg (34 KB | 46 )
wtf_800x115.jpg
picker-upperer.gif (358 KB | 62 )
picker-upperer.gif

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #26 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 7:10am

IT'll hold 5 and when you get the 6th the top one is easy to stick in your bag. Or you can just upend it and pour put all 5 straight into your bag Smiley

Another reason to buy such a large canvas bag Smiley
It'll easily fit the pipes, balls and picker-upperrer's
I'll make another one today.

All I need now are the tennis balls. It's slow post, so might be here today or tomorrow or monday. 

Only other thing to do is drill and hang the centre disc.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #27 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 7:48am

Hmmm... If the stick is easy to detach, you cap the top end (or don't cut the bottom off the tennis ball can), add a belt clip or shoulder strap, and cut a slot big enough to put your thumb in to push the ball back out into your hand (maybe with a flexy shroud to protect against sharp edges on those thin plastic cans), maybe you could use it as a gravity fed magazine for reloading your sling too.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:11am

you just upend the tube into your ammo bag.

But I see what you're getting at.

This is just a quick dirty version for tomorrow.  Hoping the balls will arrive sometime today. But if not, we've probably only got 10 or so between us and will be picking up a lot Smiley
That's the absolute worst part of target shooting. The ammo picking. Buggers up your knees, back, ankles etc.
Tore my achilles tendon doing it in 2017. That was fun Smiley

What i would like to do is get a tube with the right internal diameter, that is long enough to also be the handle. Guttering down pipe might fit the bill. Just need to get to my local diy superstore and try a tennis ball in different pipes.

But this is more than adequate for now.

A clip on the tube and a couple screws to stop it sliding up or down is all you'd need to make it detacheable for loading 5 shot 'magazines' Smiley
But for now this works great and is using recycled wood and tube.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #29 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:37am

Ingenius! Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)