Send Topic Print
Pet peeves (Read 57145 times)
RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Pet peeves
Reply #30 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 1:11am

RS wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 6:41pm:
elastic tendons, or ligaments, like yellow ligaments, from deer can be chewed, slightly boiled and used and are good for about eight yards.

and here is something some of u who claim science  minds can test:

the slingshot goes back millenia.  the band above is how many made them back in the day. 

the philistines had another method that made their bands superior to those around them who used the above method.  the animal does not matter as long as it is big enough to get the band off of. (the philistines used horses, mules but mostly dogs.) but the philistines would kill the creature, let it sit for three or four days, then remove the ligaments and do the above process. 
accordingly their bands were almost twice as powerful due to this process...but does still stink some...no matter what we could not get the smell out on replication

now the last process that was not used but DOES make them even better than the philistine method without the stink, is simple...when doing the slight boil as told at first, use olive oil instead of water...and the dead decay method does not add anything to it and it is about twice as good as that way.   

yes, these were also found in old texts that you nor any modern scholarly historian will never have access too but it does not matter because they were written coded for secrecy so even if they had them they'd prolly not know what they were reading..so then, here is what u can do: try them out for urself and see the result urself...in the name of science, history and truth of course.  we already read it, deciphered it, and put it the test.  the result showed just what the text said..so see for urself

i gotta go to bed, good nite.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #31 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 6:26am

Kick wrote on Apr 10th, 2018 at 10:16am:
English has already changed and mutated and adapted and Britain has always been a melting pot despite the claims by the idiots and racists. .

At least this Ad Hominem makes sense, in that you're attacking the person using a negative label rather than addressing the substance of their non-standard views before discussion, in order to shut down views that oppose urs...it is a tactic the fearful use who do not wish to have their ideas challenged because they are afraid of being on the losing end, fearing their view lack substance to support it..

iow's, it is like, "this is what i say and if any say otherwise they are ignorant and racist.  now all admit i am right as not to be those things."

sorry but that argument alone in no way makes ur case right, or even sensible. Undecided

brittian a melting pot? ..being invaded and unable to defend their borders from hostile invasion did melt a few cultures throughout history into their culture, and the language changed...just like it is going to do again.  brittian does not have the same dialect it had even three hundred years ago.  so ur arguement just proves my point...everytime said event took place anywhere, that culture evolved and changed...religions, languages, arts, ect.. as far as better for it...only time can tell such a thing. i hope they are, but that is just a prediction without bases  even historically you cannot prove england is better now because of the before mentioned things, than it would have been without them...that is speculation without anyway to verify.
and yes the history of britian is one of acceptence of all, no racism or superiority there.....unless u count the irish, the scots, pre-revolutionary america and anyone who wasn't brittish..or the fact the majority of slave plantations in the southern usa were brittish corp. owned..

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #32 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 8:52am

On a different note I am having toast and jam this morning for the first time in several years.

How's that for a smooth segue from a thread that totally is not about to burst into a flame war? Yes, I thought it was pretty good myself.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #33 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 10:46am

I like jam but I have to say I prefer just a good old piece of buttered toast. Some might say it's plain but if it's made right it's gorgeous. I stick to Weetabix for the mornings but the great thing with toast is that you can have it whenever. I think this segue is going well.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #34 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 10:59am

Umm rs I'm not sure how any of your last posts have anything whatsoever to do with pet peeves.
Unless you mean them to say that your pet peeves are anyone who doesn't agree with you or accept the so called historical facts you present as gospel. When they're clearly stuff you've just made up.

You are, however, rapidly becoming one of my pet peeves Smiley

There are ligament powered 'slingshots' of a kind. Based on the same principle as larger siege weapons.
Not sure if they are actually historical or just something joerg sprave invented (probably the latter)

I guess it is possible that someone in antiquity processed natural rubber and made slingshots with that.
But the longer you leave ligaments to rot - the lower the elasticity. So if slingshots did exist - they weren't made using ligaments. A reason for letting ligaments rot could be that because they stretch more easily, you can use less as a binding wrap. they would still shrink as they dried, just not quite as much.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #35 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 5:42pm

sounds like a challenge...well then test it...we already know u are wrong.  so there is that.  not only so, u do realize on top of that having roulette giving gamblers better odds than craps is just unnatural and wrong. so that alone puts anyone view's who comes from those places in question.  "no borders, no borders" then u stripe up ur craps table with silly border making even a good seven, foul....just totally crazy.  pleasse explain that one sir.   Angry

as far as being a pet peeve of our's...fine.  so since ur knowledge of certain subjects is lacking u choose to call others liars.  i cannot help ur ignorance's or the information u have never learned.  but do know not all of us share said illness.  no mind weaker than one who sticks his head in the sand and screams is not is not when they have not taken the time to test it themselves.  u see no it doesn't...it has to to with oils and acids in the initial break down in decay.  we made statements based on records, trial and error...u say 'is not because i did not know it."  and that is a pet peeve, so i do have one after all ...good day sir and thank u for raising my self awareness.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #36 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 6:15pm

Kick wrote on Apr 11th, 2018 at 10:46am:
I like jam but I have to say I prefer just a good old piece of buttered toast. Some might say it's plain but if it's made right it's gorgeous. I stick to Weetabix for the mornings but the great thing with toast is that you can have it whenever. I think this segue is going well.

Here's the thing with Americans, we often are clueless to what's going on in other countries. Hang with me here because there is good reason for this. We have a country here at least the size of Europe with all sorts of competing cultures and I have about as much knowledge of a guy in Boston's daily life as I do in Germany or the UK.

So where are you going with this Morphy you might be asking? Well, I had no idea what a "Weetabix" was until looking into it. Now I am thoroughly enlightened on the subject and it gets added to a fairly lengthy list of foods I would like to try someday.

So tentatively this is going somewhere on the list between surströmming and balut. Both of which are several pages above Vegemite which scares me to death.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #37 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 8:06pm

slingshots were not made commercially until the 1850s, when Mr. Goodyear started mass producing vulcanized rubber. 
Just an FYI.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #38 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:00am

Oooo another thing you might like to try which seems to have appeared out of nowhere and is suddenly incredibly popular is oat "milk". I don't know if it's made it out there but at least in Finland and Britain it's been selling like mad and is delicious with Weetabix. I can't count the number of times I've gone to stock up and its been sold out. The best one is Oatly Barista (made for coffee so really creamy) but there's also a store band one which really good.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #39 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 10:57am

https://youtu.be/dvvgwVpQ_dc

Another new one for me. I pretty much only drink almond milk when I drink milk so this is a good substitute. Easy to make and probably less expensive than Almond milk .

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #40 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 11:43am

I didn't realise it was that easy to make. Might have to have a go sometime though will need to get a blender...

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #41 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 3:52pm

people showing up for work, but don't Angry

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #42 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 8:35pm

walter wrote on Apr 12th, 2018 at 3:52pm:
people showing up for work, but don't Angry

Teenage workers at fast-food places are the absolute worst. Angry

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #43 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 5:37pm

walter wrote on Apr 7th, 2018 at 7:53pm:
RM, you have probably heard the saying, "if you are going to get old, you better be tuff". Never thought I would have to be tuff 24 7 Huh

I really shouldn't complain because I'm still a lot more functional than many people  I know my age or even younger.  But it's no fun to watch your fingers and toes start to twist at strange angles.  Shrinkage really sucks too. I used to be just a hair under 6'5".  No more... I'm about 6'1" now.  Why do we have to shrink?  The biggest difference is stamina. I'm still strong and flexible but my stamina is gone and I can't find it.  Like I said, I shouldn't be complaining.  I have it better than a lot of others. But getting old is a bite in the shorts. You guys will hate it too.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #44 - May 18th, 2018 at 5:11pm

Here are two more of my pet peeves.  First, why do they put stickers on my fruit?  Like I wouldn't know this is an apple?  Big freakin' DUH! Putting a little sticker on each and every piece of fruit sold costs money and consequently increases the price of the fruit.  And it's not enough they spray my fruit with carcinogenic insecticides that are difficult to wash off.  Now I have sticker glue to contend with.  Stickers on my fruit really pisses me off.
   My other one is Rock lyrics that repeat the same key phrase over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.  Like we are stupid to remember the song unless they drive it into our brains a thousand times.  Though they all do it to some degree, here are some that I find particularly irksome.
The Boys are Back in Town by Thin Lizzie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg
If You Don't Know Me by Now by Harold Melvin and the Blue notes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbaSh8i5eyE
Where is the Love by Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcHPNUN-U8E
No Roots by Alice Merton.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUdyuKaGQd4
      I don't really give a rat's ass the first four hundred times she tells me that she's got no roots but her home was never on the ground and I really don't care the next ten thousand times. So you got no roots. Why should I care?  Why should I have to hear it countless times?  Is having no roots such a great thing that you would have to say it over and over again for four minutes? Grow roots or don't grow roots, b*tch! I don't care! Give me a break!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris)