Send Topic Print
Pet peeves (Read 57629 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Pet peeves
Reply #285 - Nov 29th, 2021 at 7:45am

This is more another source of amusement than a peeve but many of my neighbors have huge tractor type riding mowers.  This in itself is no big deal but most of the yards in this neighborhood are very small,  like a quarter to a half acre.  Many of these people barely have room to turn their mowers around.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #286 - Dec 1st, 2021 at 9:56pm

When someone starts a new thread without looking to see if it’s already been brought up before.  People who do that are big jerks.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #287 - Dec 12th, 2021 at 3:10pm

People who think New Jersey people all talk with a Brooklyn accent.  TV perpetuates this myth with shows like Jersey Shore.  In my entire life I have never met a native Jerseyite who spoke with a Brooklyn accent.  Not one.  Ever. In south and central Jersey we speak with a Philadelphia accent. 
     On a side note I grew up thinking there was no such thing as a Philadelphia accent.  We didn't have an accent; everyone else did.  I left the area for three years when I joined the army.  When I returned one of the first things I noticed was how thick a Philadelphia accent my father had.  I'm like "Dad, when did you start talking differently?"

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #288 - Jan 24th, 2022 at 7:21am

Fine print.  Recently while trying to fix a computer glitch I had to find its serial number.  I finally located it after much difficulty.  An ant would need glasses to read it.  My eyes have never been great but with my glasses I can see reasonably well.  I had to use two magnifying glasses and even then I could barely see the number and wasn't sure I was reading it correctly.
    Often instructions on medication bottles are written in the same microscopic print.  Most of the time you're attempting to read these instructions you're in a great deal of pain.  There is nothing like trying to read the dosage off of a bottle of headache medicine while you have a splitting migraine. 
   Why not just make the print a size that normal human beings can read?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #289 - Jan 28th, 2022 at 3:03pm

My late wife Marie loved the show NCIS and all of its offshoots.  Having been an MP the show drives me crazy.  NCIS stands for Naval Criminal Investigative Service, emphasis on Naval.  I the army we had MPI or Military Police Investigation.  They are both the next step up from the military cop on the street.  They take investigations one step farther than the street cop has time for. 
    The Posse Comitatus Act bars federal troops from participating in civilian law enforcement except when expressly authorized by law.  In other words unless we're under martial law NCIS has no authority whatsoever over civilians. None. Yet ever week there they are on that idiotic show violating the Posse Comitatus Act, enforcing civilian law.  Every single week.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #290 - Apr 2nd, 2022 at 4:14pm

Mushy apples.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #291 - Apr 21st, 2022 at 11:57am

Powdered Wigs.  Does anything on earth look more idiotic?  I did some research to find out how the practice of wearing powdered wigs started.  It seems that in the 1400s there was a Syphilis outbreak in the Western world that left people with irregular hair loss.  Consequently people began wearing wigs.  Since only the rich could afford wigs they soon became a status symbol.  Fair enough.  But why were people still wearing them three hundred years later?  God only knows.  Bad fashion is bad fashion no matter the century.  I prefer irregular hair loss.

Wig.jpg (59 KB | 30 )
Wig.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #292 - Apr 21st, 2022 at 1:24pm

As a hair disabled man I am going to bring powdered wigs to America as the newest fad. Hair has been the fad for the last several hundred thousand years. Its time people let go of this chidish trend and got powdered wigs. Thats what women really want. They are just too shy to admit it.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #293 - Apr 21st, 2022 at 2:52pm

@RatMan I'm sitting here chuckling to myself that you feel so strongly indignant about something that occurred hundreds of years ago... Mostly because I feel the same way about many other very inconsequential things. Lol.

But you are also right. Nothing looks more terrible.

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #294 - Apr 21st, 2022 at 9:57pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 21st, 2022 at 1:24pm:
As a hair disabled man I am going to bring powdered wigs to America as the newest fad.

I fully support this.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #295 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 2:47pm

"Pies" with only a top crust.  A pie is incased in crust.  Putting a piece of baked pastry dough on top of a bowl of stew doesn't make it a pie.

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #296 - Jan 25th, 2023 at 6:46pm

Well Ratman, I agree about pie.  Pie is encased in crust -- top bottom and sides.  Classic British "picnic pies",  steak& kidney, real shepherd's pie, real cottage pie, etc,  Not the ones with just a layer of mash or puff pastry on top.

Tarts are topless, with sides, not flat like pizza or flatbread with stuff scattered on top.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #297 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 1:21pm

Fake Curlys.  After Curly's death Shemp filled in for a while.  This was fine because Shemp was one of the original Stooges and he was great.  Then the powers that be decided they needed a new Curly-like character.  There was Joe Besser and Curly Joe Derita.  They both sucked.  Curly couldn't be replaced.  They should have left it at that.  I guess Curly Joe was less obnoxious than Besser but they were both awful and to this day I won't watch any Stooge episode with fake Curlys in it.

Stooges.jpg (72 KB | 21 )
Stooges.jpg

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #298 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 3:23pm

Rat Man wrote on Feb 1st, 2023 at 1:21pm:
Curly couldn't be replaced.

100% spot on!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #299 - Aug 5th, 2023 at 11:18am

Yoko Ono.
     First, let me say that there is something to be said for pulling the wool over someone's eyes.  Take the Kardashians... please!  Here is an entire clan with no talent at anything whatsoever who got rich and famous on marketing alone.  Though I have never watched one episode and never will I respect their ingenuity. 
      Dak Prescot.  Here is a slightly better than average quarterback, a Black Tony Romo if you will, who managed to somehow convince senile Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to give him elite quarterback money.  Bravo!! Excellent scam!!
       Then there's Yoko.  Why does she irk me when characters like those mentioned above don't?  Because she fooled no one but herself and John Lennon. She fancies herself a misunderstood musical genius.  To the rest of the planet she's a screeching banshee without a hint of talent. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpX1wBrCymo

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris)