Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22
Send Topic Print
Pet peeves (Read 57172 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Pet peeves
Reply #270 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 3:10pm

The market for drugs is larger than for car parts though Cheesy I do wonder if it's harder to sell car parts these days. So many companies are wanting to lock down repairs to their garages that I can imagine car parts are only going to be used by those company garages that would ask awkward questions and don't even need to buy parts of random people anyway.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #271 - Sep 16th, 2021 at 6:44am

Good point, hadn't thought of that.

But surely wheels and tires are a bit more universal ?
I've bought a wheel off eBay, so there's definitely a market.

As it turns out I wasn't the only person who thought it was a poor show by the local lowlife, lol

Not sure if dog walkers are just natural cynics, but I've met a couple of people who had the same opinions

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #272 - Sep 18th, 2021 at 1:36pm

Two things:  Why do gnats have to fly right in your face?  No other bug does that.  I couldn't begin to count the number of gnats I've accidentally swallowed in my lifetime.
    And as many of you know I prefer cooler weather.  The older I get the more so.  When I was a kid it would be cool by now.  We'd be into real Fall.  It's going up to 86 F (30 C) today.  It looks like real Fall weather won't arrive until some time in October.  I am jonesing for cold weather.  I hate having to wait longer and longer for it each year. 

Edit:  Real Fall didn't arrive here in  New Jersey until November this year.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2021 at 6:41am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #273 - Sep 18th, 2021 at 10:20pm

Rat Man wrote on Sep 18th, 2021 at 1:36pm:
Why do gnats have to fly right in your face?

Yes!  I've often wondered, with the whole world out there to fly around in, why is it right in my face that the stupid bug wants to be?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #274 - Sep 19th, 2021 at 8:58am

It's because, like mosquitos, they home in on sources of carbon dioxide.
And where does the c02 in a human come from ?
Your face Smiley

Unlike the blackfly in canada, that get into every single orifice !
And bite like a bastard.
Definitely the most evil insects I've personally encountered !

The midges in scotland are bad, but mere amateurs in comparison to the canadian blackfly. 

My current peev is that the sun is coming through the window in front of me, bouncing off my t-shirt and making the monitor really difficult to see lol

I think I'll go have lunch instead Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #275 - Sep 19th, 2021 at 3:47pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 19th, 2021 at 8:58am:
It's because, like mosquitos, they home in on sources of carbon dioxide.
And where does the c02 in a human come from ?
Your face Smiley

Unlike the blackfly in canada, that get into every single orifice !
And bite like a bastard.
Definitely the most evil insects I've personally encountered !

The midges in scotland are bad, but mere amateurs in comparison to the canadian blackfly. 

My current peev is that the sun is coming through the window in front of me, bouncing off my t-shirt and making the monitor really difficult to see lol

I think I'll go have lunch instead Smiley

In that Chiggers aren't insects, they're Arthropods, I'll give you that Blackflies are the most evil insect.  They can make you run for your life.  Greenheads are up there among the worst also.  Ask anyone who is familiar with the Jersey Shore.  Greenhead bites sting like hell and draw blood, they are big, can bite you through clothing, they seem to like insect repellent, swarm in big numbers, and if you don't smack them really hard they'll get up and smack you right back.  They are truly vile bug.

https://bitingflytrap.com/blogs/news/5-facts-you-didn-t-know-about-greenheads

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #276 - Sep 20th, 2021 at 11:55am

chiggers can't fly.
So you know, wellies will prevent chigger bites (probably) but nothing short of a full hazmat suit will deter blackfly Smiley

Damn - giant, super fast horseflies - yeah those greenhead buggers sound bad !

Our horseflies tend moe towards stealth mode, and you don't know you;ve been bitten till the buggers leave. Then it hurts.

You can keep the greenheads Smiley

What you want is a tennis racket with fine mesh, and: Serve !

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #277 - Sep 21st, 2021 at 6:14pm

For the most part  the American medical system

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #278 - Sep 21st, 2021 at 8:27pm

Badmitten racquets work well on deer flies. Smaller than moose and horse flies. VetRyan must know about them now that he is living in Maine.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #279 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 8:18am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 20th, 2021 at 11:55am:
chiggers can't fly.
So you know, wellies will prevent chigger bites (probably) but nothing short of a full hazmat suit will deter blackfly Smiley

Damn - giant, super fast horseflies - yeah those greenhead buggers sound bad !

Our horseflies tend moe towards stealth mode, and you don't know you;ve been bitten till the buggers leave. Then it hurts.

You can keep the greenheads Smiley

What you want is a tennis racket with fine mesh, and: Serve !

FYI Wellies won't protect you from Chiggers.  They'll climb over the top and get down inside your Wellies and bite your ankles anyway.  Also they are interested in more than just your feet and legs.  They will bite you everywhere.  And their bites will itch for four or five days and scar for months.  That said, we're still in agreement that at least for the short term Blackflies are worse... slightly.  Both are bugs from hell.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #280 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 8:20am

There are plenty of Deerflies here in Jersey too.  During very hot Summers they get really bad.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #281 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 4:20pm

walter wrote on Sep 21st, 2021 at 8:27pm:
Badmitten racquets work well on deer flies. Smaller than moose and horse flies. VetRyan must know about them now that he is living in Maine.

Yes we do. They sell em everywhere up here, fly swatters, that look like tennis racquets but u press and hold a button.  Its electrified. $5. So much fun. Catching em and frying em. The bigger they are, they will start popping and catching on fire, smell bad. We got black flies, green flies. Deer flies,  moose flies. They get bigger towards the end of season, and hurt more. We do have sections of seasons where we have to bring out our completely mesh suits just to tolerate outside.  Including the mosquitos., they will come out during the winter on a 40 degree day

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #282 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 3:51pm

Junk mail:  I get probably several hundred pounds of it per year.  I already shop at discount stores and super markets like Save A Lot, so I don't want or need the coupons.  I don't eat out at restaurants due to Covid so all of those advertisements are useless.  I don't need new windows, or anyone to cut my trees, or a new roof, or a new heater, or a warranty on my car, I don't want solar panels, I don't want to sell my house, I'm not going to switch to your bank or insurance company, I can't afford a new car or truck, I don't want you to spread chemicals all over my lawn, I already know who I'm voting for, I can clean my own gutters, I don't need life insurance or insurance on my appliances, etc., etc..   I almost never read junk mail but it's always there.  What a tragic waste of trees and energy. 

Edit: junk mail isn't a total waste.  I use it to line the bottom of my snake's aquarium and to start my backyard fires in the colder weather. But the vast majority of it goes into the recycling bin.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2021 at 3:39pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #283 - Nov 16th, 2021 at 4:42pm

When you're opening a can of sardines, or any other zip top can for that matter, and the tab breaks off in your hand before the top is opened.  I'm sure this has happened to everyone here.  It never fails to conjure up my best curse words.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #284 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 6:14am

Rat Man wrote on Nov 16th, 2021 at 4:42pm:
     When you're opening a can of sardines, or any other zip top can for that matter, and the tab breaks off in your hand before the top is opened.  I'm sure this has happened to everyone here.  It never fails to conjure up my best curse words. 

Somewhat in the same vein, we get oat milk and one of the brands (made for coffee so really creamy and delicious) has the stupidest lid design in the world. With oat milk you have to shake it up to stop it settling and a few drops get caught in the seal design so, if you don't open it very carefully and are prepared, you are guaranteed to get drops of oat milk everywhere every time you open it. It's so annoying because other designs exist, work great and don't get oat milk everywhere!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)